The Gipper keeps on winning

dteowner

Shoegazer
Reagan was called "The Gipper"? Where do these names come from? I know that George W was sometimes called "Dubya" (at least on rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons).

A list, please?

Remember that Reagan was an actor before going into politics. He played footballer George Gipp in 1940 film "Knute Rockne: All American". Line "Win one for the Gipper" comes from this film. Trouble was that Reagan had sometimes a hard time distinguishing between roles he played and real life. It is reported that he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease in 1994 but it is widely suspected that he already had symptoms during his second term as president.

I think they all get nicknames eventually.

I'll skip the Obama ones. ;)

Bush2 - Dubya
Clinton - Slick Willie, Bubba
Bush1 - Bush Sr. (didn't really have one that I remember until Dubya got elected)
Reagan - The Gipper, Ronbo
Carter - Peanut Jimmy

Wasn't Al Gore called the Ozone Man?

Largely unseen, mostly found floating aimlessly in the upper atmosphere, causing more conversation when it's gone than it ever did when it was around, and a little stinky? Seems appropriate.

Yeah, most people are dead that were around during Roosevelt's tenure. Instead they rely on revisionists like Glen Beck and Texas state politicians for their "history". Sad...

Actually, if you read the poll, the ones that voted for FDR are the idiots. The poll question said "after WW2". Sad state of schooling, indeed. I'd take #1 since FDR without reservation.

Actually, it was "since WW2" which I suppose some took to mean including the war. Or maybe they had a list. Actually, there was a list. The question was actually:

"Looking at the list of presidents since World War II, which one do you think is the best president?"

The REALLY sad part is that ifor "Best Presidents in History" Reagan scored above (brace yourself) WASHINGTON. At least Lincoln scored highest there.

Well Roosevelt died a month before the end of the war, so someone voting for Roosevelt would be off on a one month technicality. Great job there in creating a confusing poll. Shitty poll gives shitty results. Imagine that… :rolleyes:

But as Bill pointed out, the more important question asked by the poll is scarier:

"Which one of the following presidents do you think was the best overall president in our history?"

21% Lincoln
15% Reagan VERY SCARY
13% Washington
10% Kennedy
9% Roosevelt
8% Clinton

plus others further down on the list.

Hey, Ronnie Raygun was great; he provided tons of material for cartoonists like Doonsbury!! :)

Probably an unpopular opinion, but FDR was the worst president if you ask me. Just because he was elected to four terms doesn't automatically make him the best.

I'm not a republican, let alone a diehard republican.

Libertarian. Only some of my views are conservative. The social views are quite liberal.

So when was the last time you voted for a Democrat in a presidential election?

I guess I haven't seen you state any liberal views. Certainly Rooselvelt was liberal socially. The New Deal was all about social liberalism and was one of the most significant advances in social liberalism in US history. His abandonment of the gold standard certainly is contra Ron Paul-esque libertarian dogma. However, libertarian is not mainly associated with monetary policy. If you think that makes him the worst, then clearly your socially liberal views are insignificant in comparison.

Well, we've mostly discussed economic policies. My economic policies are what people would consider to be conservative I suppose. I'm also pro-choice, okay with gay marriage, etc. That being said, I don't think it would be stretch to say that I think economic values are much more important than social values when it comes to politics. I'm not a proponent of the Gold Standard (I am for the free market determining the value of currency), but the institution of Medicare/Medicaid and Social Security I found to be an assault on human freedom. A person such as myself cherishes personally liberty and the right to choose. Maybe that's why I like RPG's better than other genres. For me, there are two principles which trump all others (and the first trumps the second).

1. Liberty
2. Individualism

What you are calling "socially liberal", I would call libertarian social freedom. Also, I see your dislike of Roosevelt boils down to a dislike of taxes for SS and Medicare. Being against taxes has been a longstanding plank of the Republican party.

Also check out this short quote from A Roosevelt speech that demonstrates he was also for freedoms:
In the future days, which we seek to make secure, we look forward to a world founded upon four essential human freedoms.

The first is freedom of speech and expression — everywhere in the world.

The second is freedom of every person to worship God in his own way — everywhere in the world.

The third is freedom from want — which, translated into world terms, means economic understandings which will secure to every nation a healthy peacetime life for its inhabitants — everywhere in the world.

The fourth is freedom from fear — which, translated into world terms, means a world-wide reduction of armaments to such a point and in such a thorough fashion that no nation will be in a position to commit an act of physical aggression against any neighbor— anywhere in the world.
http://www.wwnorton.com/college/history/ralph/workbook/ralprs36b.htm

Back
Top Bottom