Hungary - on the straight road into Dictatorship ?

EU has its advantages :)

European nations prove time and again that they are incapable of governing themselves properly as separate units.

installing party members and even his wife into central key positions…

This is exactly what I meant.

Berlusconi is infamous for installing "friends" into key positions.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but it's good to hear that the problem of only having two bad alternatives is not just a US problem.

This is what is known as Duverger's Law in political science. In a winner take all plurality, two centrist parties always emerge.

This, in my opinion, is a very bad thing. It limits how we think. Anything that does not fit into the spectrum of beliefs held between these parties is cast out as extremist. Something needs to be done to change this if you ask me. Screw it, I'm voting for Ron Paul!

This is what is known as Duverger's Law in political science. In a winner take all plurality, two centrist parties always emerge.

I believe more and more that this applies for economy as well.

I think Corporatism is this as well.

I tend to believe that we need a good, balanced number of smaller parties. Diversity !

If we have lots of smaller partiesm none of them can take over a whiole government like in Hungary or in Italy !

But on the other hand a bigger number of smaller parties could also lead into more blocking of laws ... Espcially when quarrels begin between parties ...

If we have lots of smaller partiesm none of them can take over a whiole government like in Hungary or in Italy !
More ignorance based on hearsay, Berlusconi has always lead coalition governments, in fact he was mostly busy to make concessions to his allies,especially the Northern League, all for obtaining the approbation of specific laws in which he had vested interests into.
Really, get a clue.

The newspapers describe it a bit differently here.

Romania currently has a similar problem.

The bse problem is even more serious : It seems that in Romania parties ... worked it out so that - as we say here - they "took the state as their prize/loot/prey".

I believe that this is as serious as Corporatism (Corporatism is basically the same in my eyes, only that the parties are replaced by members of the economy, so to say).

And our democracies simply don't have developed any anti-bodies against these intruders like a human or animal body would have developed anti-bodies against viriii, Bacteria et. al. .

The good news is that Romania, like Hungary are not only EU members but (more importantly) they need EU money. It certainly influences what governments of both countries can and what they cannot do if they want EU funds to flow...

Impressive, what they did a few days ago.

Parts of the constitution are now tighly tailored to the right-wing party. Their equivalent of what we call here in Germany the "Federal constitutional court" is put widely inactive by the recent changes.

Read this article, it appears to explain it in English language : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21748878

Horrible, really horrible. What they do right now reminds me of the so-called "Gleichschaltung" of Nazi-Germany.

You gave 2/3 majority to nuts i think you totally deserve it .
Next elections try to troll them by giving 2/3 to opposition .
On the bright side your amendments were made by Hungarian government and you didn't had to pass the humiliation of having banksters appointed government do that.

Bah, Hungary is being demonized in the press. All that's happening *so far* is that Orban is attempting to prize the communist era establishment from the courts and media … and the establishment is fighting back.

Also he dares to express the HUGELY controversial, outdated and prejudiced belief that marriage is between two people of the opposite sex. And to write it into the constitution.

That said, Hungarians do themselves little credit by being unashamedly xenophobic eg the hatred of Romanians is far from a fringe thing (something to do with the treaty of Trianon). If you ever go there and meet a Hungarian, watch their eyes light up when you ask if they've been to 'Temesvar' (known as the Romanian town of Timisoara to the rest of the world). They'll be delighted that you called it by its 'rightful' name (and not because it's a pronunciation thing). If you then ask 'why don't you take Timesvar back militarily?', you will more often than not, get a long and serious reply.

Hmm...

- Rubber band laws against insulting the nation.
- Removing checks and balances only to replace them with your own cronies.
- Ignoring the ECHR (surely the European Court on Human Rights in Strasbourg is filled with communist stooges) and your own constitutional court
- Scapegoating evöl foreign institutions and your own minorities

Lovely.

Claiming that Orban's opponents represent the "communist era establishment" seems a bit silly.

It is almost 25 years since communism fell. That's a generation ago. The communist establishment of the day would be quite geriatric by now.

They'll be delighted that you called it by its 'rightful' name (and not because it's a pronunciation thing). If you then ask 'why don't you take Timesvar back militarily?', you will more often than not, get a long and serious reply.
Not sure if it adds anything to the discussion but you could encounter an identical situation in Greece with Istanbul. I'm certainly not defending it but it seems to be one of the countless similarities between nationalisms.

European nations prove time and again that they are incapable of governing themselves properly as separate units.

The North-Europe, West-Europe and Middle-Europe are generally very steady, and have been for a very long time, both politically and financially. It's a big continent, with very varied cultures. The ex-communist countries like Hungary tend to have the biggest problems. It's only a bit over 20 years since the iron curtain fell, which is a relatively short time in a country's history.

Some could argue that the biggest mistake of EU was to expand from the rich countries - Where it started - into the poor countries. There are staggering differences among EU countries, and the rich ones don't have endless patience in pouring money into the poor ones.

Back
Top Bottom