The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Okay, I'm not really "currently listening" to this since it isn't even out yet, but I'm getting excited about Sarah Brightman's new release called "Symphony." I'm already a Sarah Brightman fan, but the great thing is this new album art screams "Goth" and the term "Gothic" has been used in press releases. According to the Wiki article, she has described the album as having a "gothic metal feel to it."

Can anyone here guess why I'm excited?? :excited:

Realistically I'm sure this album will still be accesible to 'more normal' Sarah Brightman fans, and it won't be any more "Goth" than 'Harem' was middle-eastern. Still, the extra flavoring on 'Harem' was enough to call to mind "Arabian Nights", so maybe this one will have enough mood to think of Edgar Allen Poe. :)

Last edited:
Led Zeppelin: Physical Grafitti
Symphony X: Paradise Lost
Can: Saw delight
Magma: K.A.
Dream Theater: Systhematic Chaos
Yes: Close to the edge
Tool: 10000 days

Lots of good stuff. I love Kim Wilde's voice, so that one was a winner for me. There was some REALLY bad fake playing in that first one--spinning the keyboard around is cool and all, but you've got to remember to fake the keys in reverse.

Good choice from Depeche Mode, and that's Wang Chung's best tune even though it wasn't their best seller.

So, here's a little more Kim Wilde from the good old days. And for those of you with access to RealPlayer, here's a clip of another Kim Wilde duet, "You and Me".

Heard this one on Vertigo tonight. Very Cure-ish with some extra reverb thrown in for good measure. Smoother vocals than Fat Bob, too. ;)
"The Tears of the World" by fragile
On the off chance that someone might care ( ;) ), it looks like the link is working properly again. All 3 tracks are available for MP3 download.

High Violets for me today. Kaitlyn ni Donovan has one of the sexiest voices going, IMO. The video is so completely dorky that I actually like it.

well after losing my other love of my life (my 30 gig zen:m) on the return flights from my honeymoon i've been with out music for nearly 2 weeks. gave in over the weekend as no calls back from the airlines occured, and settled for the much smaller though nearly identical vintage and menus, options, etc zen:v which is 4 gigs. i didn't invision how small it actually was though as it is the size of a zippo lighter! got it tonight and am currently loading it all up. why on earth anyone would want to play a video on a 1" by 1" screen baffles me but its got all the other goodies so i'm not complaining and i got it for 60 bucks as well.

in honour of all that i'm listening watching this lovely tune which lyrics i love even though its not really a bjork song i'm all that fond of. i have the dvd of this concert which is excellent by the way.
bjork-headphones
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUfDhjjgdn4

lyrics

Genius to fall asleep to your tape last night
So warm
Sounds go through the muscles
These abstract wordless movements
They start off cells that haven't been touched before
THESE CELLS ARE VIRGINS
Waking up slowly
My headphones
They saved my life

Your tape
It lulled me to sleep
Nothing will be the same

I'm fast asleep
I like this resonance
It elevates me
I don't recognize myself
This is very interesting
My headphones
They saved my life

Your tape
It lulled me to sleep
I'm fast asleep now
I'm fast asleep
My headphones
They saved my life

Your tape
It lulled me to sleep

fragile-i'll have to keep my ears tuned in on them. great stuff thanks dte. good 'vid' music as my wife would call it. though i definately can feel the cure the vibe, who she loves, though the synth in this is what give me a nice buzz.

edit:
holy shit and they're from boston, now i know they're a band for me:)

Wow, that's great... You said their name was Fragile?

Übereil
Glad y'all enjoy it. Yes, the band name is "fragile". There's about a dozen bands with that name, so be careful that you get the right one if you go looking. So far, I have found next-to-nothing about the group. They're based in Boston, MA, and have an EP released called "Prelude". They have a MySpace page, but it only has an instrumental track available. Beyond that, I've found nothing on the net. I can't even find a place to purchase the ep.

I love doing 'Shuffle Songs' on my iPod ...

Back to back this morning:
- Dark Side of the Moog VI, The Final DAT IV by Pete Namlook et al - wonderful experimental synthetic music superimposed on synthesized beats.
- Song for my Father by Horace Silver - classic 'hard bop'.

The reason this is a more interesting juxtaposition is that I had done an electronic music composition back in undergrad school based on Joe Henderson's solo in the title track of 'Song for My Father' that ended up being used by a friend who was at the NYU film school as a soundtrack theme song for a short that got played on a late night 'local film spotlight' by ABC's Boston network back in the 80's ...

Just picked up After Forever's latest - Self Titled. The only other AF album I have currently and can compare to is Invisible Circles. As with that one, this new album will require several playthroughs before all of the layers can be fully appreciated. So far what has me skipping backward and listening to again and again is a part in track #2 (don't even know the names yet) where the vocals are soft and melodic in a major key, then suddenly and seamlessly the song transfers to a minor key. It is so unexpected and cool that it's almost creepy!

Other than that I would have to say Floor's vocals hit greater range and style variance than before, while the music itself is more abrupt, with frequent driving beats.

New tune's up for Jellyfish. Fabulous pop goodness. I have no idea why they didn't hit it big.
"I Wanna Stay Home" by Jellyfish

@Mike- I could do the "hard bop" stuff. Reminds me of good piano bar fare. Much more accessible for me than some of your more experimental (which I'm using as an adjective rather than a genre) jazz offerings.

cranes
have a couple of their albums but although i really dig some of their songs a lot, no album has ever really grabbed me, plus although her voice is beautiful it just is to distracting from the music for me sometimes.

some of you may have heard these before...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II-d0AI_jLw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5sJVXXYVPA
some audio from their site
http://cranes-fan.com/audio/

edit:and since i love to infiltrate threads with ucb content, here's a crane-wars
commercial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFnxkfWlgMA

I bought Cranes' "Forever" cd long ago. I just couldn't get around the vocals either. I kept telling the speaker, "take the clothespin off your nose."

Daysleepers for me today. "The Soft Attack" will probably get the most interest from the uninitiated, but I favor "Stereo Honey." Really wish I had bought their debut ep when it came out. Jeff put the last 10 copies he had kept for himself up for auction a while back. They were going for $30+. Probably would have been worth it since they're completely gone now.

@Sammy- looks like Autumn has shuffled their tunes on MySpace, and they put up a track I've been wanting to send your way after your Eastern kick:
"Desert Winds of Jezebel"

Last edited:
Got a message from James of fragile. Thought I'd share since several folks seemed interested.
------------------------
You read correctly - recording / mixing new material now. I'm hoping to have it done for a March release. Reprints of the 1st ep are coming...I'll repost the link soon.
Cheers,
-james
--------------------------

Back
Top Bottom