Dragon Commander - First news from GamesCom

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
The following non-English sites have reported about Larian's recently announced Dragon Commmander.
4 Players (German):
What the complete package will provide can currently not be said as the game is still far away from production and many items still await their implementation. The release will take place sometime next year, a publishing partner Larian does not have - the game from which they had long dreamed of will be self-financed.
What is shown definitely makes you want more, even the Steampunk style works very well. The level of detail of the landscapes in the early demo, according to the developers, was still significantly below what will actually be possible, but overall quite pleasing. Quite spectacular was the battle when two fleets clashed and the anti-aircraft batteries of all units were firing from all turrets. (Translation by me).
Barre de Vie (French):
The great surprise of the day. [...] Dragon Commander plays out in successive stages: first, a role-playing phase during which the story develops inside the aerial base of the player; then a strategic phase, which plays like a Risk-like board game enhanced with Magic The Gathering cards; and finally, a real-time combat phase where the player controls a dragon equipped with a jetpack. [...] It works really well: aerial battles feature tons of units, shots are fired all around you, yet the action remains clear and your units easily manageable. (Translation by Larian Studios).
Mondes Persistants (French):
We met developers really passionate about their game, and what a game! A true gem, full of ideas! [...] The graphics and visual effects are beautiful. [...] As a dragon, you can give orders to your units, choosing to lead frontal attacks or sneakily attack your enemies from behind. [...] Add to all this an expertly crafted sense of humour, a hot skeleton princess and a 4-player multiplayer mode, and you get a game to really look forward to. (Translation by Larian Studios).
More information.

The more I hear of this game I lose more interest in it. I still hope it sells well to fund the next divinity sequel.

The great surprise of the day. […] Dragon Commander plays out in successive stages: first, a role-playing phase during which the story develops inside the aerial base of the player; then a strategic phase, which plays like a Risk-like board game enhanced with Magic The Gathering cards; and finally, a real-time combat phase where the player controls a dragon equipped with a jetpack. […] It works really well: aerial battles feature tons of units, shots are fired all around you, yet the action remains clear and your units easily manageable. (Translation by Larian Studios).
This sounds even better than Spellforce which was one of my favorites. Yey for mixed rpg/strategy/rts!

This sounds even better than Spellforce which was one of my favorites. Yey for mixed rpg/strategy/rts!

It sounds nothing like spellforce. It didn't use card decks. The game is sounding more like Battleforge and I hated that game.

Sounds ambitous and different. Could be ver cool if they can pull it off. Go Larian, go!

Although I still don't know how the idea of the game is going to be executed and I see a chance of failure for it, but I always appreciate developers who take risks and try to do something new and different compared to their previous works.
I wish Larian good luck on this project.

Although I still don't know how the idea of the game is going to be executed and I see a chance of failure for it, but I always appreciate developers who take risks and try to do something new and different compared to their previous works.
I wish Larian good luck on this project.

Exactly I haven't played the final product and it may be good and succeed but remember Sven from Larian said people who will hate this will like the other project. They know its a risk to make different games. They either pay-off or you fall flat.

Last edited:
Could be good. Loved Divinity 2, except for the real-time combat in dragon form... oops. 1/3d bad, then ?

but remember Lars said

Just to clear this up : His forum name is Lar, not "Lars", which is a real-life name I know in use as well.
His forum name is simply "Lar", because of the dog (similar to Indiana Jones ;) ) and because he's the founder of Lrian Studios, as far as I know - and if I remember correctly, the studio was named after the dog, too. ;)
His real name is Sven, as far as I know.

Just to clear this up : His forum name is Lar, not "Lars", which is a real-life name I know in use as well.
His forum name is simply "Lar", because of the dog (similar to Indiana Jones ;) ) and because he's the founder of Lrian Studios, as far as I know - and if I remember correctly, the studio was named after the dog, too. ;)
His real name is Sven, as far as I know.

Really thanks for the info but I'll stick with his forum name its easier to remember.:)
I've seen your forum name over there also. Its the same as here right?

Back
Top Bottom