Sui Generis - Kickstarter Update #14,15, Add-on and Interview

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Sui Generis is still 14K pounds short from reaching it's goal with only 15 hours to go. So this is going to be stressing times for Madoc, who announced some T-shirts you can get as an add-on and had time to do an interview with Forbes.
Forbes: When I first wrote about Sui Generis, a lot of my readers said it looks more like a tech demo than an RPG. While I was enthusiastic about the nature of the game and the gameplay itself, many people worried that this was technology without a game.
So what is the story, and how will it figure into what we’ve seen already?
Evans: Well, we’re very keen on the concept of writing your own story. Our main focus is creating a world and sandbox elements that have lots of depth to them. Mostly it’s going to be about you discovering the world, learning abilities and growing into whatever it is you will become. The player character is special but what is special about them is that when they die they return to life. No saving and loading and no respawning as if it were normal, the fact that you come back is a big deal within the context of the world.
You don’t do quests and get rewarded for completing them, there’s stuff going and you can get involved. You might actually lose more than you gain by doing so.
Update #12 is intended as an example of a game experience from the player character’s perspective. The events there are dynamic, based on player actions. An apparently simple premise can escalate into almost anything and by doing things you always discover more things to do and get more deeply involved. No content is isolated, there’s an open world and a single vast interconnected underworld rather than a series of small dungeons. Similarly with events, we want everything to be connected and affected by whatever you do or happens.
The main plot is essentially just an extension of this. Theoretically it would be possible to avert the entire affair by accidentally rolling a boulder off a cliff and this landing on the main antagonist. The player would then play the game and perhaps never realise there was supposed to be some big problem to solve. Of course in practice this is quite unlikely!
It’s ambitious but we think this is what an RPG has to be. Who knows how much we can actually do but we have to try! We do have serious ideas about its implementation.
More information.

About 5,000 away. Less than a thousand an hour needed.

3.5 k to go, 7 hours, and they just got tweeted support by Obsidian. It's in the bag.

I have to say though.. the whole concept of perma death is a huge turnoff. I get attached to my builds. To have them stripped and respawn into a new base build is going to be a show stopper for me. Glad they are going to make it but I probably will pass on playing it.

6 hours to go, £750 more needed.
I also say it's a done deal.

This is odd… If this succeeds, and it will, so far only one game I pledged didn't make it. And they say my taste (hatred for endless mobrespawns) is plain wrong.
Todd, forget the permadeath thing, c'mon, you can't but support when you see something like this:
"Sui Generis is not about running around killing hordes of enemies in order to collect experience points and numerous items. It is about exploring a world and being involved in major events there."

There is no permadeath (except as an option). You resurrect - the exact consequences of death have not been revealed, afaik.

They will have this wrapped up in 30 minutes. Perma death discourages experimentation completely. I just don't get what they are thinking. Are you saying they plan on respawning constantly?

They will have this wrapped up in 30 minutes. Perma death discourages experimentation completely. I just don't get what they are thinking. Are you saying they plan on respawning constantly?

If you die, you respawn in some way, unless you play the game with permadeath enabled. I assume with some penalty. Think M&B (captured) or MMO.

Done!

With 6 hours to go

Yeah not for me. I like the traditional save system in single player. I'll watch the game though and see how it progresses. They made it a few minutes ago ;)

Surprised they made it but glad they did. I'll add to my list of kickstarters i'm waiting for.

I've been kinda ambivalent about this project, but I'm glad I backed it....I think. :D

Back
Top Bottom