One more lucasarts says good bye to PC

zakhal

SasqWatch
As a fan of lucasarts games I was really looking forward to force unleased but that game has been removed from pc. Ive playd lucasarts games for over ten years and have always respected their professionalism.

Theres 1425 messages on the force unleashed PC players petition so far:
http://forums.lucasarts.com/thread.jspa?threadID=120668&start=0

end:
http://forums.lucasarts.com/thread.jspa?threadID=120668&start=1425

Force unleashed is not the only game though. Their other title "indy" has been removed from pc also. Looks like they are totally pulling out of PC.

Is Lucasarts going out of business? Having trouble financially? or are they just another American company that could give a rat's butt about it's fans? I think it is the last one.

It's a little frustrating to see the openness and honesty coming from CD Projekt Red about their product The Witcher and then seeing most other companies doing business as usual. I hope to all that is mighty that there are more companies like CD projekt RED out there.

This isn't the first product Lucas has cancelled and it won't be the last. Sam and Max was also pulled. I'm surprised they didn't just pull the game completely or maybe they just dumbed down the game so much that any computer would spit out the DVD on principal and tell you to load that garbage in the kiddie consoles.

Is Lucasarts going out of business? Having trouble financially? or are they just another American company that could give a rat's butt about it's fans? I think it is the last one.

I agree. They're more after money, and maybe some guy told them that the sales of PC games are so low it doesn't even make sense to develop them at all.

Are you guys surprised? LucasArts is making mainstream games. In the US the PC platform is no longer mainstream.

Nope, Gorath I'm not surprised. That is why it sucks so much.

Does that mean the Bioware MMO is going to be console only?

So that Bioware's MMO appeals to all ages instead of just adults you'll be playing little kids with a fluffy, purple, alien dog named wags. The focus groups were really excited about a fluffy kitty but we think a dog will appeal to more people.

If LucasArts prefers to make console games, then that's what LucasArts should do. I don't see any problem with that. In fact, it's probably a good thing. Now there will be less competition for folks who do want to make computer games.

All of this is a little screwy right now, and I suppose we should expect things to shake up before they straighten out. Games should be immune to this crap, though. Kids have the right idea, I think. Elves really ought make this stuff, and it should all be free.

If LucasArts prefers to make console games, then that's what LucasArts should do.

But I really really really like Star Wars :) I mean really like it. Almost as much as my beloved rats. So as a fan of Star Wars I have to buy a console that I won't use other than to play it. Let me think about that....hmmmm....nope not gonna to pay over a hundred dollars just to play a game from a setting that I love. Oh well sucks to be a PC/star wars fan. It all started with KOTOR. Damn them for giving me hope that they would make more games like that for the PC or any Star Wars game for the PC. Damn them, Damn them all to hell!!!! (Gotta love that line from Charlton Heston :))

@Gorath: No, I'm not surprised.

Butthis "non-surprisal" ;) is the exact reason why I don't like LucasArts anymore.

They're acting like a parasite sucking out the former reputation of the Old LucasArts.

@skavenhorde: I agree to you: I hate it when I can't play Star wars games on the PC.

I hate it even worse when they make such a marketing boil around it like in "Lethal Alliance" and then it's only available to some "obscure" (don't take this too seriously) consoles.

And, yes, they (LucasArts) consider themselves too good to release games with the graphics of a Nintendo DS we were used to see 10 years ago on the PC - because they believe that the PC should get nothing but high-end graphics, nothing less, not this pixilated shit (sorry, i just try to imagine how they might think).

And, yes, they (LucasArts) consider themselves too good to release games with the graphics of a Nintendo DS we were used to see 10 years ago on the PC - because they believe that the PC should get nothing but high-end graphics, nothing less, not this pixilated shit (sorry, i just try to imagine how they might think).

That could be LucasArts motto :)

Not much is known about Bioware MMO but I am sure it is for PC because MMOs are in most cases PC-platform specific and go onto consoles secondly. Seriously, MMOs are a big part of what is making PC gaming not go extinct. World of Warcraft is the prime driver of all PC gaming. All the money made from subscriptions really does make a difference in the investor front. However, PC gaming will never die unless PCs themselves die, which is not likely going to ever happen. If you observe the state of PC gaming in early 1990s compared to nowadays, PC gaming is bigger than ever, there are 10 times more games coming out each year. Everybody uses computers for internet access and downloading music & movies, et cetera. I doubt PC gaming will ever die off in our lifetimes. Actually I think things will only get better for us going forward, especially in the MMO space, due to the improvement of technology and software coding innovations. Of course I am biased since I dont like consoles at all, I do all my gaming on PC. Despite some of my bouts of doubt and frustration, the MMO space is the most promising aspect of PC gaming. Why? because they are the games most funded with the biggest teams and highest levels of technological innovation. Investors are looking at MMO space. I am currently watching about 11 new startup MMO companies that are each funded in the 10s of millions of dollars. Every major MMORPG release brings more and more new players into the space. World of Warcraft alone is responsible for at least 5-8 millions of new MMO gamers coming into the space that werent there before it. Warhammer Online will attract Warhammer fans in general who never wanted to touch MMOs before its release. Same thing with Age of Conan fans attracting the remaining fans of Conan fiction. Bioware MMO is supposedly so huge that its developers expect at least 1 million subscriptions upon immediate release, even though we dont know what their project even is yet. That means its a huge thing like maybe Star Wars KOTOR Online or maybe Forgotten Realms. So whatever Bioware is coming out with, its gonna be huge, and you can bet its gonna be on the PC.

That said, single-player will never go away, it will have up and downs like it always has, but the current fad really is online gaming. As broadband becomes more accessible to more people, online gaming is just going to get bigger and bigger. It has already overtaken movie sales in the United States. Approximately 1 billion dollars was made in MMO space in 2007. Estimations state that the MMO space will become 1.5 billion dollars come 2011.

Welcome noisy glass consoles which cost as much as new computer plus their games cost more than any pc game starting from 10-20€ more as "console tax" plus they most often cant be modded and are also the most inferior version. F you Lucasarts.

Last edited:
Yeah, F George Lucas while you're at it please!

Ah well face it - if you want to play Force Unleashed you'll need a console. I may have broken down and got one by then (maybe). I guess it is possible that Bioware's could be the first console exclusive MMO. The sales figures of some games look to make this a possibility. If they take into account the amount of people playing Galaxies - almost a certainty ;)

Ive never said I wanna play the game - on a console. But lets not start a stupid console war on this good website. This tread is about lucasarts games on pc not console vs pc wars.

I was never interested in console/pc wars. The fact that Lucas is leaving the pc market for the console market is evident. The fact that the console market is pulling in more money doesn't reflect any personal opinions of my own - it's just a fact. There are some great games on consoles, and that's why they are doing so well now.

Never mind then.

Back
Top Bottom