Diablo 3 - Monk Class Revealed

Has this been officially confirmed? Word on the street is they were not going to reveal another class for a while, not even at Blizzcon.

Regardless, I must reiterate: I positively cannot wait for this title to be released. I am currently playing D2 after several years hiatus, and it is still a great game.

Has this been officially confirmed? Word on the street is they were not going to reveal another class for a while, not even at Blizzcon.

Regardless, I must reiterate: I positively cannot wait for this title to be released. I am currently playing D2 after several years hiatus, and it is still a great game.

Yup, it's official. The starcraftorg twitter feed confirmed that Chris Metzen confirmed that the new class is the Monk. It's not playable in this build, but they are showing off gameplay footage of it.

EDIT: And on a side note, WoW's new addon is Cataclysm. Officially revealed.
EDIT2: The Worgen race have joined the Alliance. And I'm guessing that the Goblins will join the Horde.

Seems the 4th Diablo 3 class is gonna be the Monk. I guess it'll be close to the Assassin gameplay-wise. Here's hoping they pull off a cool monk. Not a cliched shaolin monk class. Hope they give it a unique spin.

awinnerisyou.jpg

I just can't understand, as hard as I try, how so many people can be so excited about this click-fest/loot-ahoy type of games, but whatever, hope it comes soon enough for all you guys :)

@JemyM: Are you being sarcastic?

I just can't understand, as hard as I try, how so many people can be so excited about this click-fest/loot-ahoy type of games, but whatever, hope it comes soon enough for all you guys

I guess you didn't get bit by the bug. It's terribly addictive and fun. It's easy to get into and easy to get out. You can invest as much time as you want. And the fun is amplified just because the game is that polished.

I just can't understand, as hard as I try, how so many people can be so excited about this click-fest/loot-ahoy type of games, but whatever, hope it comes soon enough for all you guys :)

Going back to when Diablo was released in the late 90's the RPG genre was an absolute mess. It was almost like the early sixties when the Beatles saved Rock and Roll, for better or worse, from the Teen idols and Pat Boone. Baldur's Gate wasn't out yet and previous RPG titles were bad (remember the SSI D&D title?). Diablo was released and singlehandedly revitalized RPGs, simultaneously ruining it with this type of gameplay that would plague subsequent RPGs. Sure, there would be Fallout 1 & 2 and the IE games, but the predominant design of CRPGs would be along the lines of Diablo. And they would mostly fall horribly, horribly, short.

Why was Diablo so much fun? You never knew what was going to drop off the bosses; you could play for FREE on Battle.net with players from all over the world; the graphics were dark and brutal; the music was probably the best to date of any game and was as dark and scary as the graphics.

But, that said, it's not everybody's cup of tea. And that's okay too. I wish the predominant form of the CRPG today was that of the classic games from the 80's & 90's where there were puzzles, riddles, and dare I say it, no automap, but alas...

Also, one has to realize that Diablo was first and foremost a perfect Co-Op multiplayer game. I tried it in single player, was bored before I reached level 20. Played it in a LAN with two friends -- pure bliss. The addiction came from a fun mix of cooperation, competition, action and of course random luck. Didn't have Internet yet, back then, so I was never really into Battle.net (was filled with creeps, anyway).

Baldur's Gate after that was anticipated by us not because it promised to be a great RPG, but because it looked like a "real" RPG that could be played in a LAN like Diablo. Sadly, MP didn't work out so well in BG.

Thanks for posting the info, danutz_++. I'll be curious to see how they work it, but if it's anything like the Assassin, I'll be happy. Wizard will probably be my first character, though.

Diii.net must be jammed with people checking this out as it's loading as slow as molasses. They have a monk gameplay trailer posted but when you hit play it says it's been pulled :( --probably waiting for something more official.
http://www.diii.net/blog/comments/diablo-iii-monk-class-gameplay-video/

Edit: Thrasher's posted a you tube link in the news thread that works:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_IIe4Wufyw

I can't get it(the trailer) to load--says it's unavailable for viewing. Anyone else get it to work?

Edit: The you tube link works fine, though. Reminds me of the paladin a bit.

Trailer works fine for me.

Probably my browser settings. I'll try again later.

Looks like a really fun melee class, definitely got me more interested in the game.

Back
Top Bottom