KoA: Reckoning - New Screens

What game is this? Looks like a single player RPG based on an MMO engine (graphically). Interesting.... Promises open world?

It doesn't look half bad, to be honest.

I like the guys making this but not sure I like the look of the screens. Looks like World of Warcraft, could they make dummer looking huge weapons?

Still, hope the game is a good open world RPG.

Never played WoW so the graphics are a bit novel for me. Did play Fable 1 though, pretty similar look, got used to it fast and there is a certain charm to the colors and design here. Its really about the mechanics of the game anyway.

Plus, it would be a welcome change having a game release with reasonable system specs.

As far as I know, KoA is a game written by Salvatore and designed by Ken Rolston (ex-lead designer of Bethesda).

Screenshots look good. Looking forward to this, though I suspect a release is pretty far way.

The History and background for Reckoning is being written by Salvatore, a few other big names in here. I believe the game was originally slated to be a MMO. Their reason for the change I think was that they wanted to give the player a far more intricate/engaging RPG experience and that is lost in MMO's.

The History and background for Reckoning is being written by Salvatore, a few other big names in here. I believe the game was originally slated to be a MMO. Their reason for the change I think was that they wanted to give the player a far more intricate/engaging RPG experience and that is lost in MMO's.

Actually the MMO and the SP game are separate. They're still working on the MMO too.

I know they are working on an MMO as well, but it was my impression that this one started out with the intentions of being an MMO from the start

Actually the MMO and the SP game are separate.

Uh. This reminds me of both being sooo "separate" that they were almost different games in terms of … well, part of content - in Dungeon Siege 1.

The singleplayer campaign was so … linear, and boring, and as I tried the multiplayer part, everything seemed suddenly much much better to me …

When this was first announced, I read some interviews at the time. Here's the skinny:

The original plan was to create both an MMO, and a single-player RPG. Originally, the MMO would come first, followed by the single-player game. But when they went shopping for an engine, they found that developer Big Huge Games recently had a project cancellation (or something like that), and thus had an engine and toolset all ready to go, but with no game. They signed up BHG, adjusted their schedule, and the single-player RPG will now come out first, followed later by an MMO in that same world.

The reason I'm looking forward to this game is because of the company founder, Curt Schilling. Not out of any baseball fandom, but because he's got millions to throw at this project, and he appears to be a real genuine gamer and RPG player (he at least says all the right things, like loving the classic Gold Box games).

For once, a game is being developed in my favorite genre where the funding decisions will not come from shareholders, or a board of directors, but from an avid gamer that's been playing this genre of game about as long as I have. I find that prospect exciting…

You guys do realise we database all our newsbits, right? If you click the "Details" link in the original newsbit, you'll see all the information. Once you realise this is Big Huge Games' Big Huge RPG, we have two years of background.

I like the guys making this but not sure I like the look of the screens. Looks like World of Warcraft, could they make dummer looking huge weapons?

Still, hope the game is a good open world RPG.

That the oversized weapons in this game basically look like plastic toys for children is kinda strange, as one of Salvatore's strengths is in writing graphic sword-fighting scenes (he knows it, too, so sometimes their length can be a little annoying). I would assume that he would go for a more realistic look, but maybe he is not really involved in the graphics design. :/

To me this whole game looks like it was intended for a younger audience.
I just can' say why, but *everything* about this game just reminds me of Sierra adventures, most notably of the last King's Quest game.
Especially the title.

Which isn't something bad to me.

Yes, this is an open world game, at least according to the press release.

AFAIK, this was never going to be an MMO. Big Huge Games was working on it with Ken Rolston back when they were with THQ. They got sold to 38 Studios and are continuing to work on the same game, though I suspect a lot of the story got changed to merge with what 38 Studios was already] working on for a few years - their Kingdoms of Amalur game... which no one really knows much about just yet. All that is known is that it will be set in the same universe as Reckoning. Both games' stories are being written/overseen by RA Salvatore and the art direction is overseen by Todd MacFarlane. The 'codename' for their game, which was always going to be an MMO, is Copernicus.

Hope that helps clear things up.

Let me clear some things up because some of you got the truth distorted. This project was announced after their first project which was Project Copernicus. This title is to be the mmo and will be in the same universe as Project Mercury "Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning." Project Copernicus is supposed to take place around a couple centuries after KoA:R Idk where you got that there was a game called Kingdoms of Amalur, and then another called Reckoning lol. Anyways, the reason the art looks that way is because of Todd Mcfarlane. He is responsible for the way of the artwork, which Idk if I like the look so much. And, no this game is not aimed for a younger crowd.. But what Mcfarlane and the rest of the artists have presented thus far may make it seem so. Overall I look forward to this game, because R.A. Salvatore is my favorite author, and I know that this is at least one group of devs who are gonna pour their hearts and souls into this SP game, and the MMO to follow.

Back
Top Bottom