Blackguards - Character Info

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Daedelic sent us a press release about the some of the available characters in Blackguards.

Blackguards: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly – Introduction of the turn-based RPG’s sinister main characters

Hamburg, September 6th, 2013Blackguards is dark, sinister and different: The story of Daedalic’s upcoming turn-based RPG takes the player into a world where even the main character, often the brave and shiny hero, is a condemned murderer. Today, Daedalic is introducing some of the villains the player has to deal with:

First of all there is, of course, the player’s character, created by him- or herself. Before the story of Blackguards starts, players choose chose sex, name and class of their “hero”. Class-wise, they can either jump-start into the game by picking one of three class-archetypes – classic warriors, mages or hunters -, or to explore the full glory of the RPG system The Dark Eye, which Blackguards is based on. The archetypes guarantee easy access, whereas TDE and RPG pros will be able to create their desired class in detail by choosing the expert mode.​

As descendant of a wealthy Neethanian family of merchants, the game’s main character has lived a boring and carefree life with his friends. He spent his childhood with a couple of guys, including princess Elanor.​

The game starts with the player witnessing Elanor’s brutal death: A wild and cruel, strange looking wolf attacks her and literally chops her alive. Although players will try to interfere and save Elanor, they will be far too late to safe Elanor’s life…
Players manage to defeat the beast – however, there’s no help for Elanor.
Only minutes after the battle, players will find themselves surrounded by guardsmen, arresting the player’s character. In prison, players learn that they’re being held responsible for the murder – because actually no one else saw a wolf near Elanor. No matter how hard the guards torture the player, though, there’s nothing else they can find out.

The player’s hero is sentenced to death, and this would have been it, almost. Shortly before his execution, though, dwarf Naurim frees him/her. Naurim spent years in prison, has been arrested for arson, assault and smuggling. He has been planning a prison break for a long time, and feels he’s finding a good accomplice in the player’s character to actually put his plans in practice.
Naruim is a typical dwarf: hot tempered and with huge anger management issues. He’s also paranoid, restless, and even often dreaming (which is pretty strange for a dwarf), and sees conspiracy virtually everywhere. Perhaps it is his paranoia that makes him a fearless warrior, and therefore a perfect tank. Not just when brawling in taverns.
Naurim turns into the second member of the players’ party of up to five playable characters at a time.

On the run, Naurim isn’t the only supportive figure. There is also mage Zurbaran, for example – who will later become the third playable character. Since his birth, Zurbaran was a slave for a wealthy grandee of the Florios family. When his master found out about his magical skills, he was sent to the Academy of Al’Anfa. All his master intended was to find a cheap way to get his own house mage.
Eventually, Zubaran found a chance to escape. A little and an affair with a baroness later – Zurbaran feels like he is the world’s greatest dandy – he was imprisoned. He was found guilty having poisoning the baroness’s husband.
Eventually, Zurbaran was sent to th...More information.

My hopes for this game are resting on expert mode. Note, I hope this time it lives up to its name (rather than "assign your own skillpoints" mode à la Drakensang).

My hopes for this game are resting on expert mode. Note, I hope this time it lives up to its name (rather than "assign your own skillpoints" mode à la Drakensang).
I think the full current ruleset for character generation in TDE is too complex for a game like this. There will be restrictions. I hope for less than in Drakensang, too.

Of course, some things don't make sense for a computer game. Like background traits that give you a random contact. But something on par with the complexity of, say, the Fallout's would be good (for the main character anyway).

They made that hex-grid in action look a heck of a lot better than Wasteland 2-s solution so far. Nice thin-lined hexes, showing blue filled hexes only for a short period and colored right. Might have been longer in development tho, so Wasteland 2 can still improve.

Looks to be a fun and thrilling epic Turn-Based RPG. Can't go wrong using the Dark Eye ruleset, i hope this is a sleeper-Hit.

Full character creation is not confirmed. So far I think you can only choose one of 3 archetypes. Character development is 100% unrestricted. Pretty much everything else about this title sounded good at the GC though.

It does say in the press release that you can either choose from 3 archetypes or create your character yourself.

That was found in translation. ;)

Back
Top Bottom