Infinite Interactive - Puzzle Quest Team has New Title in the Works

magerette

Hedgewitch
IGN posts the news that Infinitive Interactive, the makers of the multi-platform puzzle/rpg hybrid, Puzzle Quest:Challenge of the Warlords, is working on another title in the PQ setting, Deathbringer. Here's the info:
The spiritual sequel [to Puzzle Quest], Galactrix, will be arriving soon, and we've just learned that developer Infinite Interactive is busy working on another RPG/puzzle mash-up. Titled Deathbringer, it will be set in the same world as Puzzle Quest.

The RPG part of Deathbringer will be weighted more towards the "action RPG" genre. Infinite Interactive says it will have "the classic addictive gameplay of a puzzle -- exactly like Puzzle Quest." Also like PQ, there will be dozens of side quests, and a random dungeon element is being added. It's being developed for PC, with plans to port it to Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Wii. Konami will be publishing the title either later this year or early next.

Here is the official feature list:

• Real-time, fast-action puzzle gameplay.
• Persistent Heroes who can be saved and carried over from dungeon to dungeon.
• Multiplayer support for up to 2-player cooperative gameplay.
• Multiple Hero Skill Trees to choose from – all with unique attacks & abilities.
• Companion Mode, where an intelligent AI companion (with player defined action scripts) accompanies the player, to complement the player's skills. There are 4 companions to choose from. Companions are persistent just like heroes - each Companion will grow over time, gaining skills as they adventure with the hero. There will also be 5 hidden familiars that can only be found through completing hard side quests.
• Extensibility via an open architecture that allows new dungeons & monsters to be added to the game after release.
• Over 100 Magic Items for heroes to use.
• Spell System which is simple, fun and spectacular.
• Multiple Dungeons to adventure in – all with detailed and exciting level-design.
• Simple interface which should be familiar to most console & PC gamers.
• Replayability via hero skills & combinations, and also random dungeon elements and extensible items.
• High quality graphics developed for Infinite's Sage Engine.
• Excellent Music - High quality soundtrack featuring thematic music, and dynamic music support.
• High quality sound effects, including plenty of speech and all manner of magical whooshes and crashes, all in 3D positional sound!
More information.

I'm grinding my way thru another round of PuzzleQuest right now. I'll be in line for this next one for sure.

Not so thrilled about this. I just hope this will flush more easy cash into their coffers so Steve Fawkner will have the $ to start on a Warlords V worthy of its name.

Oh dear.. there goes my social life. This will be an automatic purchase I think.

But ... but ... but ... I still have to buy the iPhone version of Puzzle Quest first ...

bleh, they had to make it an action focused game.
A puzzle game is not likely to be action-focused in the way we think of action around here. The main way to accomplish it would be to add a time limit to the moves, which is already in certain parts of PQ.

Well, Galactrix is coming next month ...

Puzzle Kingdoms was announced way back in July for Christmas release(which it obviously missed), and I can't find anything recent on it. It doesn't sound like the same game, but it's hard to tell with so little info--I'd think they would say so, though.

Galactrix will be out first, then Deathbringer either late this year or next according to this write-up but who knows exactly at this point.

I'm looking forward to Galactrix quite a bit--it's got a few new wrinkles--kind of surprised they haven't done any kind of demo for it.

Last edited:
A puzzle game is not likely to be action-focused in the way we think of action around here. The main way to accomplish it would be to add a time limit to the moves, which is already in certain parts of PQ.
which are the "puzzles" I didn't like in Puzzle Quest, but since they were mostly optional, I didn't mind, but from what I read about this game, they won't be optional for this one :(

Puzzle Kingdoms I think is a PC/Wii/DS title, so I got a bit mixed up with Deathbringer. While it's obviously neither Galactrix, nor a new PQ or DB, it might be good game, though I wish I2 hoard enough money soon with all the puzzle spinoffs so that they do a proper Warlords or Battlecry title.

Back
Top Bottom