Witcher 3 - Another News Roundup

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Yes it's time for another roundup of news for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. The article is a new interview on RPGSite who talked with Senior Visual Effects Artist Jose Teixeria.

RPG Site: With such a huge open world, how do you ensure vast amounts of geometry - from smaller things like formations of rocks to larger things like houses - aren't repeated?

Teixeria: So here's the thing... of course, there is some hopefully clever repetition of assets because we simply can't do everything bespoke and custom, but having said that... in my view...

Well, I highly oppose this. I'm not brave enough to make this kind of decision - I would highly advise them to make few assets and then repeat them cleverly to hide the fact that they're being repeated or something... but instead, the environment team just said 'Nope, we're going to make almost everything custom'.

So... almost everything is custom. The whole of the city you saw in the demo, all the streets... everything is custom. Which is... it's not very advisable! [laughs] It's just so much content. It's all custom made! It's a little bit mindblowing.

RPG Site For those on the PC, can you give any sort of idea - even vague - of what sort of hardware they'll be looking at to run the game?

Teixeria: Ah! Well, that's a very good question, as we still don't have an official sort of outline for that sort of thing. Hrm. Well... [laughs]. That's very tricky.

I was going to talk about when we run the game, but when we run the game it's different because we're running with the engine open. We don't just load around us - we load the whole world. Those machines are pretty big!

Having said that, we do have people in the office with machines with mid-range cards, and it works, it works at a reasonable frame rate. It might not look quite as good - but you won't have to empty your pockets to be able to play this game! The official settings will come down the line.
Next DSOGaming has news the game on consoles is the Equivalent To PC High with Ultra Settings. Sounds strange but here is the information.

After what has happened with Watch_Dogs, a lot of PC gamers are a bit skeptical about all the upcoming PC releases. One game that has amazed everyone with its visuals is The Witcher 3; a game that puts Watch_Dogs to shame and is considered as a ‘true’ next-gen game. But will CD Projekt RED pull another Watch_Dogs on us? Apparently not.
And for last Eurogamer has infomation on the gameplay demo form E3.

Some who caught The Witcher 3's gameplay demo during Microsoft's E3 press conference were a bit worried by what they saw.

During the five minute demo, set about 10 hours into the game, series star Geralt is off on a griffin hunt in the No Man's Land wilderness. He prepares for combat, in classic Witcher fashion, by equipping a set of buffing potions and a small crossbow.

It's not long before Geralt comes up against a number of bandits, and easily dispatches them with a combination of magic attacks and devastating sword strikes. Geralt eventually tracks the griffin down, and takes just a few attacks to kill his quarry.

If you think it all looks a tad easy, then you're right. But don't expect the final version of the game to offer such an easy ride, executive producer John Mamais told Eurogamer.

"The combat is complex," he said.

"What we showed at the Microsoft conference was the easy way to play. We only had five minutes to show, so we had to play on easy and make the fights go really fast. You saw lots of dismemberment. It's not going to be so easy to cut somebody in half when the game comes out. We were showing off some features there.

"I was reading some feedback after the conference and people were saying, 'oh, that looks so easy,' but it ain't gonna be that easy."
More information.

I have started on W1 again and also started reading the books again!! Thats how hyped up I am about W3 and I hope it won't disappoint :p

What I saw and have seen so far, if anything, actually lowered my excitement for the game. My biggest problem with the W series has always been the combat and though it truly seems much improved this time around it seems to me that the player's attacks are still adjusted to hit the enemy (Geralt will roll, leap, lunge, etc to try and hit the target instead of just striking where he is).

A VERY minor issue for most to be sure but it irked me enough in W2 when I got hit by other enemies because Geralt adjusted his attack in a way that I didn't intend that I couldn't finish the game. After melee combat using Duke Patrick's combat mods for TES, Witcher combat seems so unresponsive.

I am impressed with the ambition of the Witcher 3. If they go entirely hand-made world, that would be the first open world game that I know that never reused assets. I sure hope they hit a home run with what they are trying.

I am skeptical though, because I was really disappointed in the Witcher 2. Everything they say they are trying is a million miles from what they did last. The W2 was positively claustrophobic, there was hardly an area in the game which wasn't a corridor of some type. The combat wasn't very good either, it was hard in ways that made you hate the controls. It really surprised me because I had such fond memories of the original Witcher.

I also enjoyed W1 more than W2 but from what I have heard 3 does seem to address most of my concerns. There was even points in the W2 where quests failed even though they should of been able to be completed due to the railroad nature of the game i.e. the harpy feathers quest - you can get to the quest giver before the siege of vergen even though the quest autofails before that.

The W2 was positively claustrophobic, there was hardly an area in the game which wasn't a corridor of some type. The combat wasn't very good either, it was hard in ways that made you hate the controls.

That certainly isn't the same experience I had with TW2. It was most definitely not claustrophobic, and the combat was excellent when it worked properly.

I say when it worked properly because I experienced a bug that caused some button presses to lag after performing certain moves, but that was later corrected in a patch.

What games you actually DO like Burress? So far, I have seen you mostly gripe and complain...

I just do it so well zahratustra. I do it so well, some people apparently think they are the games I criticize. That baffles me.

Don't get me wrong, I like the games I criticize too, it's just that there is so much room for improvement in this genre. My favorite games were the first two Gothics, the Elder Scrolls since Morrowind, the first Witcher was pretty sweet (as I mentioned).

Back
Top Bottom