KoA: Reckoning - Demo 17th, Mass Effect 3 Cross-Promo

Oh about 1 more gig then the xbox version. wonder if there is more content and if we can disable the timer hehe

This is correct, though we have another PC option coming in a bit today. So, if you want to wait a bit, there will be one other way to play the demo on PC. (We should have more details to share about this in the next hour or two.)

here is where they announce steam

Downloading now. It only took me a few guesses as to where the demo download button was to get it right. Freaking Chinese.

Man it's fast. I'm already up to 37%

Last edited:
Played the Xbox demo for 30 mins.

To be honest, I'm not too impressed. Seems kinda clunky and overly casual. If I had to describe it in one word - it would be BIG in a bad way. Everything is too big and over-proportioned. We'll see….

I'll give the PC demo a go now. But I certainly haven't seen the "depth" they've been talking about.

Big and empty like Two Worlds?

Way too early to tell. It's just that you can't interact with much - and everything lights up like a christmas tree so you DEFINITELY won't miss it.

Have to say that combat looks pretty cool, though :)

People with ATI card should turn off post-processing in the game demo settings. Or anybody who get a black screen after the first cut-scene.

It's a tutorial. Cant get a good grasp of the game till I hit the real world. What I've seen I've liked. Though the combat was far too easy, but I won't hold that against them since it was a tutorial.

Other than that, it's confirmed that I *might* like it. Depends on what's going on in the outside world.

Played a bit more and explored outside a bit.

I'm sorry, but this isn't at all as good as I wanted it to be. Surprisingly, it's the technical/visual aspects I'm the least impressed with. I'm fine with the gameplay and the art style (though not what I'd prefer) - but it's quite visually underwhelming and the engine is kinda clunky and stiff. It has a bad way of handling draw distance and meshes disappear outright as you turn around and stuff.

I'm not liking the way you carry a shield under your shirt and you pull it up when you need it - without having a weapon to go along with it.

Seems very "gamey" in the wrong ways sometimes.

I could deal with that - but the NPCs are ugly and the writing - so far - isn't interesting at all.

I'm not saying it's necessarily bad - and I suppose it could be a decent game if you give it a shot. But I was actually expecting a much more technically proficient game from the videos and interviews.

It performs MUCH better on PC - but I actually prefer the lower res look of the Xbox version. Also, the interface is typical amateur-hour bad port stuff. It's functional - but ugly and too reliant on bad keys like ESC and so forth. At least the font isn't big :)

Next to Skyrim, it looks like a cardboard world with cartoon characters - I'm afraid.

Next to Skyrim, it looks like a cardboard world with cartoon characters - I'm afraid.

I actually like cartoon art style, much more than I like realistic looking game actually...

I actually like cartoon art style, much more than I like realistic looking game actually…

Good for you. I'm not talking about the style so much as the overall inferiority of its execution. It FEELS like a cartoon in that bad juvenile way.

The screenshots and videos looked pretty good, but the game does not.

The screenshots and videos looked pretty good, but the game does not.

:/

I read the exact opposite from other people who played the demo (on other websites). They said it looked better than the videos actually...

I read that the build is a few months old and hopefully they will clean it up a bit by release time. One person wrote in their forums that it grew on him(gameplay wise) as time went on. If you don't like the art style it may just not be your kind of game. I didn't really expect to hear anyone have many thoughts about the writing from a demo. Hoping the real game is much better

The graphics don't bother me as much as I thought they would. Still don't really like them but I can overlook it. The combat unless I'm doing it wrong is just a matter of clicking left mouse button until it does combo's. Give's me a diablo feel but you can get some other abilities to kind of break it up. Maybe when you get more abilities it would seem more than just clicking.

Don't understand not being able to have a weapon and shield at the same time thus I don't us shields.

Stealth is ok but with so many monsters lumped so close together 1 of them often detects you. Making stealth a 1 and done or not useful at all.

So far open world seems like a bunch of corridors. It's nothing like open world in skyrim.

Haven't had the chance to use many non combat skills so I can't comment on them.

The menus are horrible unless i'm missing something. pc's shouldn't have menus that go 4 or 5 level's deep. It's tedious. Make skyrims vanilla ui look good.

Having said all that I think there's an ok game here. I think they marketed it wrong. From everything i've seen they say it's a hardcore open world rpg with great action combat. They should have marketed it as Semi open world action game with rpg elements. I know they wouldn't put it that way but I feel they over hyped this for what it is.

For anyone who hasn't played the demo forget all the hype you've heard and think more along the lines of lotr war of the north and you shouldn't be disappointed.

Who knows maybe after 10 hours I would sing a different tune but based solely on the demo these are my impressions.

My initial impressions are...the game is good. The best part of the game in my opinion is the area they hyped the most; the combat. It's just fun killing things, and it felt great using a longsword/bow combo.

The rest of the game is pretty good too. The quests seemed good, typical open-world RPG fare. The writing for dialog was good, named NPCs who are not quest givers also have interesting things to say, which is nice to see. The cutscenes that I saw were pretty good, and the story seems to be interesting enough to make me want to keep playing and finding out what happens next. Exploration was good, found some hidden things like treasure rooms and chests. The loot system was pretty good, found lots of cool, useful stuff. I did see a bit too much of the same things though. There is supposedly an engine that can create 2.3 million pieces of random loot, you wouldn't expect to see so much of the same thing early on. But yeah, overall, it's all good and high quality.

I didn't like the camera. The camera is too close and you can't see all of your surroundings, and it's fiddly to the touch. Plus it sometimes takes bad angles during combat and you can't see all the enemies. So the camera overall is just annoying.

Other than that, it looks like it's going to be a fun game. Just don't expect a Skyrim-killer or something, and you should have fun with it for what it is.

I just finished my time with the demo, and I have to agree with pretty much everything DArtagnan said. The only difference is that I thought the game looked fine from a technical perspective. It's the artistic style that I don't like at all.

I can see how KoA will appeal to a lot of people, and I think it will probably be a successful title. It's not for me though.

Having said all that I think there's an ok game here. I think they marketed it wrong. From everything i've seen they say it's a hardcore open world rpg with great action combat. They should have marketed it as Semi open world action game with rpg elements. I know they wouldn't put it that way but I feel they over hyped this for what it is.

I agree. Calling KoA an "open-world" game is a bit disingenuous. The level design reminds me of Fable with its invisible barriers everywhere, and you can't even jump or climb except in occasional scripted sequences. Anyone buying this game for the exploration is going to be sorely disappointed if they're expecting anything like a TES or Gothic type experience.

Yeah, who the heck makes an open world, or a so-called open world, and doesn't permit jumping except in predesignated spots?? I must have sat there for 3 minutes at one point wondering why I couldn't jump, lol. That's either very lazy or just poor design.

-Carn

Back
Top Bottom