Alpha Protocol - But Thou Must: Choice in Games

Dhruin

SasqWatch
But Thou Must: Choice in Games is the title of a GDC presentation by four Obsidian developers about choice and reactivity in roleplaying games. I've filed this under Alpha Protocol, because they use this as their illustrative example. They discuss some of the reactivity in AP (such as characters responding to to what the player is wearing), provide a brief history of choice in RPGs, the benefits of choice but also the developmental resource costs involved.
There's a video here at Blip.tv and although I haven't had time to fully watch the nearly 1 hour panel, I can tell you Chris Avellone is a funny bastard and this is well worth a look.
While we're on AP, GameSpot has nearly 8 minutes of footage and conversation with Sega's Tim Ernst, although we've seen most of it before.
More information.

I'd seriously recommend watching the presentation video, it's A) informative and B) funny as hell. Truly hilarious stuff.

It's an extremely fun and informative presentation so as long as you can follow what they're saying when they're half-drunk lol. It seems they're really pushing choices in their games, Alpha Protocol of course, but I believe New Vegas will have the same philosophy.
I'm excited to see how the game plays out.

I'd seriously recommend watching the presentation video, it's A) informative and B) funny as hell. Truly hilarious stuff.

+1

I was sold on AP before watching this. Now, I am doubly sold! :p

Really though, it is well worth a watch, even if you have no interest in AP. It was fun and gave us "lesser mortals" a glimpse of the huge amount of work needed to create an RPG.

Really though, it is well worth a watch, even if you have no interest in AP. It was fun and gave us "lesser mortals" a glimpse of the huge amount of work needed to create an RPG.

That, and drinking games. Don't ever forget drinking games.

The dev dudes at the presentation video were fun like hell, and i like the way they interact with people :)

Obsidian always had my respect and i must say that i'm really looking forward to Alpha Protocol & New Vegas.

Hey, they also like Bloodlines!

I concur, the presentation was funny and quite informative. No wonder that quality rpgs are hard to come by these days. Alpha protocol just jumped on must get list :)

I normally don't like spy games, but this one looks very promising.

DAMN! i'm soooo hyped about this game!

No! Don't do it!

Just go in thinking "It'll probably be OK" and you will enjoy it much more. People who get all hyped up are almost inevitably disappointed even when the game is really quite good.

It will suck.

Back
Top Bottom