Select a Candidate 2008

I took the test and found that I agreed most with Dennis Kucinich, Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton. (hardly a surprise, I would say ;) ). I disagreed most with Mike Huckabee (thought the huckabee's were some sort of children toys??) and Rudi Guiliani (hardly a surprise either, I would say...)

I agree with Dennis Kucinich about everything, except Iraq and with Barack and Hillary I only disagree about immigration and the abolishing of the death penalty.

I do however favort a timetable for the removal of the US troops, or alternatively that the US is over there as long as necessesary. I mean we started to war - now we need to help clean up our own mess...

In Denmark, we just had some tax cuts as well, and of course they'll be permanent although the oppostion of course is saying otherwise right now... As for immigration, (in the US), the illegal immigrants should be allowed to apply for US citizenship....

As I come from a a country with a universal health system, of course, I'm in favor of this. But don't kid yourself, having a uhs system do not make everything all right. What it should do is basically give everyone the right to free medical examinations and operations on public or state funded hospitals.

/aries100

Dennis Kucinich first, with Chris Dodd second.
Interesting to note that they both disagree with me on Iraq. In fact the only ones who agree with me are Republicans.

I didn't know Barack Obama was for the death penalty. Between our political news over here and the odd watch of The Daily Show I thought he was a bit more of a fluffy nice guy.

Yup it suprised me too how many of the canditates support the death penalty

its to bad the poll didn't address this (see link) topic as clinton and obama are not the same on many things as the poll would have you believe. nuclear weapons--the biggest death penalty of them all!
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071002/pl_nm/usa_politics_obama_dc_4;_ylt=AvLjDhZiDlxlFDXVdlU16e9kM3wV

dispite me not sharing many of obama's views hes still the best one of the job in my view.

That's an interesting clip, c.u. It sounds like Obama is trying to get more specific and detailed about his goals and that's good. I like a great deal of what he has to say. Disarmament seems to have become less and less of a high profile issue since the end of the Cold War here, and I agree with you, it would make more sense and be a lot more relevant to find out about where the candidates are on this issue than how they feel about gay marriage. To me that's a media-made issue, while disarmament is unavoidably real.

Maybe you (or anyone) could clarify this one:

...Obama also said he would depoliticize U.S. intelligence services by making the head of intelligence a four-year appointment.

I would think that would make it more political, (i.e., in and out with the appointer and his party) not less. I must be missing something.

@mudsling3--Ron Paul was in the news with a "surprise" type story last night for raising more money than most of the other Republicans including several of the front runners.

5mils!!! with my little bit at the last minute :) 114% up from last quarter while Romney, Rudy and Mccain down significantly. hope this fits an exponential curve. I do feel the momentum shifting...my Meetup has double the number. Anyone drive on I15 between LA and Vegas? There will be a huge billboard 40 miles northeast of Bastow...just to let you know I will be painting a few square feet of that over the weekend.

What a great spot to put it! It had better be big, though. People tend to drive pretty fast there!

Here is another definition of patriotism
"The true patriot is motivated by a sense of responsibility and out of self-interest for himself, his family, and the future of his country to resist government abuse of power. He rejects the notion that patriotism means obedience to the state."

watch the entire speech here
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5792391565012624048&hl=en

good speech. i like a lot of what ron paul says and would probably vote for him over any one else. however i think its unrealistic to think that he would ever be elected and if there was an election between him and nader, he will still probably lose. unfortunately despite a persons views, beliefs, and goals you have to be a powerful speaker and leader to be president, even of something as simple as a occupational orginization. ron paul doesn't fit that bill, but its people like him that i think are destined to be vice president. honestly i almost wish there were vice president elections as it would be very interesting and possibly a boon to the country to have a democratic president and a republican vice-president.

Giuliani (expected) first with a whooping 25, followed by Kucinich (who I know and dislike) at 21. I think the low scores come from me giving a lot of issues low weight.

Using more binary weights to the issues I got Giuliani 35, McCain 28, Biden and Kucinich 27. Funnily enough I only agree with McCain on four issues, but those were 4 out of the 5 ones that I gave max weight (taxes, gay marriage, not sponsoring the waste of corn that is bio-diesel, and privatising social security).

As a Liberal (Libertarian to Americans) I found that there was no agreeable option on some of the issues (Iraq and Immigration). Is it so suicidal for a politician to be against wasting money on border security today?

And what's the line-item thingamajing? A partial veto sounds like a bad idea, but there must be more to the issue than that...

Are you saying you disagree with the fundamental concept of a 'nation'?

Nope, just that I dont believe that building a fence on the Mexican border is going to accomplish anything. EDIT: And that I dont think America became the richest and arguably most successful country on the planet by keeping people out:)

Nope, just that I dont believe that building a fence on the Mexican border is going to accomplish anything. EDIT: And that I dont think America became the richest and arguably most successful country on the planet by keeping people out:)
But neither did it happen by rewarding law-breaking freeloaders ...

Now you lost me. How are they they rewarded for law-breaking freeloading??? If entry into the country is the crime and the reward is a pardon to someone who does a menial job for peanuts then I have a hard time seeing how that is a problem, and rather contributing to the wealth of the nation than anything else.

But this is a bit off topic for the thread.

The USA has a mechanism for legal immigration. It's a long, pain-in-the-butt process, but lots of folks go thru it every day. It's a slap in the face to the people that "do it by the book" to not address the millions of cheaters.

Are you saying you disagree with the fundamental concept of a 'nation'?

What would be so weird about that? It's an invented concept. The nation-state as a concept is barely 200 years old. I believe it's on the way out, too.

What would be so weird about that? It's an invented concept. The nation-state as a concept is barely 200 years old. I believe it's on the way out, too.

I asked it as an honest question because it would send the discussion in different directions. I don't view it as a weird notion, I find it much weirder to believe in a nation but not in defending borders. And I think we agree on the 'usefulness' of nation states ...

The anti-American's candidates...

When I first took the survey, I answered it as if I was an American -- that is, I picked the answers that I thought would be the best for America.

For kicks, I tried the opposite -- I picked the answers that I believe would be bad for America: how I would vote if I wanted to screw up the place.

It was interesting to notice that my anti-American least favorites were not my pro-American most favorites.

So, here's my take on Osama's favorite candidates:

(1) Duncan Hunter (score: 42)
(2) Fred Thompson (score: 42)
(3) Jim Gilmore (score: 41)

Bottom four (tied at 3 points each)
* Dennis Kucinich
* Chris Dodd
* John Edwards
* Bill Richardson

The major-headliners scored thus:
* Fred Thompson: 42
* John McCain: 35
* Ron Paul: 35
* Mitt Romney: 27
* Rudy Giuliani: 27
* Joe Biden: 10
* Barack Obama: 6
* Hillary Clinton: 6
* John Edwards: 3
* Dennis Kucinich: 3

So, the whimsical conclusion is that Osama endorses Fred Thompson, John McCain, and Ron Paul, and hates Obama, Clinton, Edwards, and Kucinich.

That would make him a Republican. :)

Back
Top Bottom