Avernum 6 - Windows Release

woges

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Avernum 6 Version 1.0 is out for Windows there's also a demo to check out.
Avernum 6 is now available for both Windows and Macintosh! And rest of description is same! At last, the epic Avernum saga comes to an end. The subterranean world of Avernum is being ravaged by famine and barbarian invaders. Explore the enormous underworld, full of dungeons, powerful artifacts, and cunning foes. Go forth and determine the final destiny of your people! Come get the huge, free demo.
More information.

I just picked up the Titan Quest bundle for $5 on steam. Avernum is $28. Is it really worth that much if I have other games to play?

I just picked up the Titan Quest bundle for $5 on steam. Avernum is $28. Is it really worth that much if I have other games to play?

Titan Quest is an old and out of print game by a defunct publisher ... I fail to get the comparison ... I mean, Dragon Age and Mass Effect still sell for $65 with less game time than Avernum 6.

If you don't have the time to play, hold off.

Of course Titan Quest, even though old itself, has blazingly good graphics compared to Avernum. I'd say if you can live with really, really, bad graphics and a land that is mostly rehashed since the mid-90's then Avernum is for you. If not, don't bother. I wouldn't be surprised if Erika is STILL around. Some people like familiar places and characters, Jeff absolutely goes to that well ALL the time :D

Caveat: I gave up on Avernum after 3. I gave up paying for Jeff's games about the same time. I do occasionally download the demos, but the gameplay is nearly identical to all the other games, so I never even finish that portion.

If I was forced I would still pick Avernum over Titan Quest.

I played Titan Quest on lan with my wife and eventually I had to ask her if we could stop, not even playing it together could hide the fact that it was a really boring game for me. All you do is just walk forward and kill whatever pops up, there's barely no story to speak about, the quest structure is oversimplified. Like other diablo clones, the game is built exclusively on gathering loot and earning experience points. Sure, if one like that kind of stuff you get it in TQ, but if you are looking for a roleplaying experience I would go with Avernum.

Caveat: I gave up on Avernum after 3. I gave up paying for Jeff's games about the same time. I do occasionally download the demos, but the gameplay is nearly identical to all the other games, so I never even finish that portion.

We have this conversation nearly every time. I completely understand your opinion - even though I don't agree.

But presumably Darou hasn't ever played any of Jeff's games, or he'd have an opinion as to their value (like you do). So, it's completely irrelevant if they're all the same, because this would still be new to him.

That makes the question: is it worth buying this one Spiderweb game for $28?

My answer: why not find out yourself? There is a large-ish demo. Titan Quest is fun (ish) but it's a hack'slash. For me, a big, traditional, turn-based CRPG is well worth it.

My god, that man is a clockwork :) He said (about windows users): "I should have something for you around march...".

Great news, and well done Jeff!

w00t! Nice to see a developer sticking to or even beating his timetable :)

I'd rather stare at my desktop than play TQ. I occasionally buy Diablo clones (TQ, Sacred) then uninstall about 2 hours into them because I am sooooo bored of the relentless, endless clicky combat.

I thoroughly enjoyed Avernum 1-3 (haven't played the later ones) and despite the simplicity of the graphics, hideous character portraits etc would rate them far more highly than TQ and their ilk.

I'd rather stare at my desktop than play TQ. I occasionally buy Diablo clones (TQ, Sacred) then uninstall about 2 hours into them because I am sooooo bored of the relentless, endless clicky combat.

I thoroughly enjoyed Avernum 1-3 (haven't played the later ones) and despite the simplicity of the graphics, hideous character portraits etc would rate them far more highly than TQ and their ilk.

Can't speak for Avernum 6 but Avernum 5 took a big leap forward IMO, added a good range of skills for fighters making combat a lot more balanced and interesting.

My god, that man is a clockwork :) He said (about windows users): "I should have something for you around march…".

Great news, and well done Jeff!

Well, to his benefit the beta process went *amazing* ... he was very exacting during the Mac beta (yes I was fortunate enough to do both) and as a result the issues that came up for me in the Windows beta were really small and picky stuff.

Titan Quest is an old and out of print game by a defunct publisher … I fail to get the comparison … I mean, Dragon Age and Mass Effect still sell for $65 with less game time than Avernum 6.

Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age sell for more because they are better games.

With that 'logic' 'better games' should never drop in price which they do.

Titan Quest is an old and out of print game by a defunct publisher … I fail to get the comparison … I mean, Dragon Age and Mass Effect still sell for $65 with less game time than Avernum 6.

I've gotta disagree here. TQ may be old, but it is still a better polished game than ANY spiderweb game and looks better to boot.

He's just priced himself right on out of the park for his games. Not a single one of them is worth more than $20. (And to use your own argument against you go look at the pricing on his OLD(ancient) games…) His engine's incredibly tired and crufty(never even approaching Ultima VII level, at best being more like Ultima VI's engine), and I actually prefer his older game mechanics from the Exile series along with larger parties.

I gave up on his games after the first Avernum version(a rehash of Exile I no matter what he claims — very little new other than a crappier game mechanics system) and the first Geneforge(just never liked that setting at all and it still used very similar to Avernum mechanics).

The Eschalon games are better and more reasonably priced to boot to compare Spiderweb to another indy…

[EDIT]
To get any sort of value he really needs to get a better bundle pricing like he used to have back when he was doing the Exile games... His games just don't inflate in value like he seems to think.

TQ: Yes. It's a down and dirty ARPG, expect no story just alot of grinding and ph4t 1007.
[/EDIT]

Definitely a matter of opinion.

What *is* factual is that the production costs for Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age are astronomical compared to most games.

I've gotta disagree here. TQ may be old, but it is still a better polished game than ANY spiderweb game and looks better to boot.

Polished? Are we takling about the same Titan Quest that was infamous for being a complete buggy mess? Better looking, sure - but again, I paid top dollar for them way back when.

But my point wasn't to compare the quality of games - all I am saying is that comparing prices of old games on deep-discount clearance with a brand new release is the height of stupidity, really. I mean, the original GTA 1 & 2 and Elder Scrolls Arena are all free, so how DARE they charge money for new games?!?!?!

He's just priced himself right on out of the park for his games.

Not really, he's made more than enough of them that there's plenty of people who'll buy at those prices, the losses he'd make by cutting his margins on his core audience just won't get offset by luring in a handful of new customers who'd try the game if it were cheaper.

Especially since he gives out demos that are a good few hours long, anyone who wants to try it can try it regardless of cost and anyone who still wants more after a few hours of solid playtime will probably not be all that fussed about paying $28 rather than $20 say.

In the time it takes to make it through his demo, you could have played through Mass Effect 1 AND 2 ... ;)

Hmmm, I don't remember trying the demo for V. If there are really gameplay changes and not just window dressing, then it'd be worth at least downloading the demo. For me, even the story is rehashed, so I'm surprised that so many here like it. It's always Exiles vs Empire and it generally has the same high-level characters that you meet.

As far as pricing, I have no qualms with that at all. I don't make what I made 10 years ago, even though I provide the same basic services. I don't pay the same for gas, food, movies, golf, etc. so why expect to pay the same for games?

I may have to at least download the demo to see if it's really still the same old, same old before posting any more about it. Gotta see if I'm going to hate Div2 after getting dragon powers first. I'm at the point where the game is about to change and I've heard many people drop out at this point.

The textures at 1920x1200 look pretty darn good for a Vogel game. Color palette is rich (32bit), the inventory ui is better than A1-3 as is the general control scheme imo. Those are some decent reasons for playing again I guess. Dunno about the linearity compared to 4 or 5, but both of those were much more linear than 1 - 3.

More polish, better ui, enhanced lo-fi graphics, party based skill progression, more melee options...sounds like a green light to me.

Back
Top Bottom