What is Fallout 3? @ RPG Codex

Dhruin

SasqWatch
RPG Codex has an amusing (some may say informative) collection of quotes from the media on Fallout 3. Titled What is Fallout 3, here's a sample:
The game could be categorized as a first-person shooter.
GameZone

Fallout 3 could be described as a first-person shooter...
Team XBOX

...first-person shooter vs. a top-down classic RPG.
Global Gaming

...first-person shooter quality action.
Twitch Guru
More information.

Funny thing is I didn't even have to hit the link to know this was vault dweller....perhaps he should change his name to dwelling on negatives?

That piece made me feel sad about Fallout 3, and about games journalism in general.

True dat. All hail the mighty Vault Dweller for he is such a shining example of journalistic integrity. Ripping quotes out of context and not providing links to the source articles so the readers can verify the quotes is journalism of the highest professional order. I, for one, am extremely -and I mean extremely- glad that there's still sites like the Codex out there that have this totally unbiased approach to journalism and who always pay very close attention to presenting a view and a counter-view on all things so that the reader can form his own opinion. I mean they are basically "last man standing" in a sea of corrupt and incompetent media. In fact, I've heard that when you enter "awesome journalism" in Google, you know, the first 200 links are supposed to go straight to the Codex. They're that awesome. All hail the Codex as the last bastion of journalistic integrity!

Ripping quotes out of context and not providing links to the source articles so the readers can verify the quotes is journalism of the highest professional order.
Well, it's not like anyone doubts that these quotes are authentic. This "article" was meant purely as a summary, a convenient overview, if anything; and many people who follow Fallout 3 development can easily recognize most quotes.

...sites like the Codex out there that have this totally unbiased approach to journalism and who always pay very close attention to presenting a view and a counter-view on all things so that the reader can form his own opinion.
We present facts. As for the article in question, it's kinda hard to find enough facts to support the "Fallout 3 is NOT Oblivion with guns" counter-view. Not with nuke catapults, portable shelters, mini-games, dialogues not affected by Intelligence, and other fun stuff.

Funny thing is I didn't even have to hit the link to know this was vault dweller....perhaps he should change his name to dwelling on negatives?

You have to see things from his perspective. Whats his forum name? Whats his favorite series? Whats happening to it?

Look how angry Star Wars fans were at episodes 1-3. Imagine some guy whose forum name was Luke Skywalker, leading up to the release of Eposide 1, and he found out it was going to only have in common with the original trilogy the general setting, but highly bastardized and raped, and it was going to star Jim Carey as a slapstick space lawyer, fresh from time traveling to Vietnam, who could shoot nuclear missiles out of his Jedi light saber, and 95% of the population was Jedi. And the Jedi could fly and transform into gigantic mac trucks, robo-jedi, and space ships. How much angrier would that guy have been?

How much of a slap in the face would it be to him if all the movie critics got behinf the fake Star Wars movie and supported it 100%, telling him he was an idiot and wrong to ever believe he should think the new Star Wars trilogy should bear any sort of resemblance to the original movies that he was a huge fan of, and that he is wrong for thinking the new movies were not staying true to what Star Wars are all about.

At least movie critics know their art. Game journalists just continue to prove they can be bought, know nothing about the medium they write for, and ore ignorantly unprofessional. This is the only medium that the fans know more than the "professionals." How acceptable would it be for a lit teacher to not just be totally ignorant about a whole genre of literature, but spout pure nonsense and drivel about one of the most important pieces to be written in that genre? It wouldn't. No one would take that "professional" seriously, and he wouldn't, and shouldn't, be allowed to call himself such.

Gaming journalists are retards (present company excluded) that know absolutely zero besides how to string words together and get it printed or posted to an equally retarded and bad source of information website or magazine, geared towards children who only are impressed with shiny pictures and can barely read anyway.

Would that be acceptable for movie critics? Theatre critics? I can’t think of any other medium that would be okay for. Maybe TV critics? I don’t know. Yes, if it was for the Disney channel. Is this an adult hobby or no? (Not really, but that’s a different story, lets fake it is, since there are a lot of old people on this site). FO3 is supposed to be rated Mature, yet where is the maturity? In the journalists covering it?

What does VD have to be positive about (besides being positive that his favorite franchise has been destroyed, but instead of going out with a whimper, its going out with applause and cheer and much fanfare and the blessing of the masses). If something you loved was raped and destroyed in front of your eyes while a huge crowd cheered on whoever was destroying it, I’m sure you wouldn’t be so upbeat and positive about the tragedy.

If you were a good and sensitive person you’d send VD a PM telling him that it’s okay and that you know he is in pain and one day maybe the bad men will stop this senseless raping and destroying of the loved things of peaceful people who, at heart, just want to love and be loved back. Go on.

Edit: Just so people try and pick apart my Star Wars analogy. I am not a big fan. I actually think episodes 1-3 are far better than 4-6. I have very poor and mainstream taste in movies. I thought transformers was great.

(secret message to stinkypants vd: this in no way is an indication that the war is over. Politics make strange bed fellows, usurper--KR 4 eva dude!!!!!).

Last edited:
This "article" was meant purely as a summary, a convenient overview...

No, it wasn't. It was meant as a "OMG!!!!!111 LOOOOL look at what all the tards have written [or have not written... it seems like what you are missing the most is the outcry over FO 3 being more FPS than RPG] about Fallout 3" piece. Which is fine if that's the way you feel about it. But let's be honest about it... the point of this "article" is to make the media who reported on Fallout 3 look bad and to attract a couple hundred (or so) "OMG tehy sux" posts. Nothing more, nothing less. This "article" isn't making or proving a point nor presenting facts. It's just slapped together quotes to fuel the angry little Fallout fanbois' aggro machine. Admit it! :)

No, it wasn't. It was meant as a "OMG!!!!!111 LOOOOL look at what all the tards have written...
Are you a mind reader, Moriendor? You know perfectly well that when I want to say something, I say it in a very blunt and straightforward manner.

But let's be honest about it... the point of this "article" is to make the media who reported on Fallout 3 look bad and to attract a couple hundred (or so) "OMG tehy sux" posts.
No, the point of the article was to show the impression Fallout 3 demo created, nothing else.

That was the funniest thing I've read in a while.

All the same, I know what the anti-nma crowd is going to say in this thread before I even read it.

NMA are who they are, they do what they do, and coming on here and blathering on about getting what you got from them for the hundredth time makes you look no better. Actually, it's starting to make you look worse.

Do yourself a favor and just dont click the link, fellas.

All the same, I know what the anti-nma crowd is going to say in this thread before I even read it.

The codex and the NMA crowd are quite distinct entities, even though they sound similar from time to time :D

I thought there was nothing wrong with doing that, but some of the quotes were taken from pretty much unknown websites who were not invited to the Bethesda press event so they might not represent an accurate picture.

I'm not sure who's egos its supposed to inflate, if any, but I just found it funny that many people will deride certain segments of the Fallout fanbase for crying "Oblivion with guns" when several media call it exactly that.

Yes, the media should be held in such a high regard ;)

Look, it was tabloid journalism, but so what? We all recognised it for that. I could waste a few hours time and come up with different quotes that paint an opposing picture, but why bother. The game will determine the end result and I'm still keeping a skeptical open mind until it's released!!

Hey, you all forget that Bethesda probably counts on the ROG fans will be buying F3anyway, so the marketing is directed at the FPS crowd. However, as I've said both here, and on the Codex and on Bethsoft's forum (albeit in a milder manner), I don't think this biz. strategy is going to work. The RPG fans will buy Fallout 3, and discover it in all its ROG glory, and understand why the man I just shot, didn't keel over, simply because my small hand gun skill wasn't good enough and things like that. The FPS fans probably won't.

Even today, there are 1-2 persons a week (or more) on Bethsoft's Oblivion General Forum who thinks Oblivion is either an FPS game or an MMO-game. They don't understand why the monsters etc. don't die just because they hit them several times. My best qualified guess is that the same thing will happen for Fallout 3.

But by then, they will have already bought the game - and that's the only thing that counts.

Look, it was tabloid journalism, but so what? We all recognised it for that. I could waste a few hours time and come up with different quotes that paint an opposing picture, but why bother.

I was tempted to do that, as it would be easy enough. But you are right: why bother.

Look, it was tabloid journalism, but so what? We all recognised it for that. I could waste a few hours time and come up with different quotes that paint an opposing picture...
Assuming that you can, what would that prove? Would that invalidate the quotes that I posted? No. Then what's the point?

Anyway, friend Corwin, purely out of curiosity, what are your expectation of Fallout 3? What kind of game do you think it will be?

Ghan said:
I was tempted to do that, as it would be easy enough.
Well, if it's that easy, I insist! Mind you, I'm not saying you can't, I'm simply curious to see what you can come up with. Also, same question to you, Ghan. What kind of game do you think it will be?

Arguing with Vault Dweller over what sort of game FO3 will be, whether it's what he believes it will be or what someone else with a differing opinion thinks it will be, is like trying to convince a Creationist to accept evolutionary science. ;)

Back
Top Bottom