Gothic 4 - First Screens

At least their articles make sense and are funny

PC Action ? Personally, I found this kind of "humour" sick and disgusting.

But that's my personal preference. That's why I don't buy it at all.

Where and when was that information confirmed?

I hasn´t been officially confirmed to the public, AFAIK. The poster´s IP address hints that he might know a bit more than we do though. So it is possible he has official confirmation.

I hasn´t been officially confirmed to the public, AFAIK. The poster´s IP address hints that he might know a bit more than we do though. So it is possible he has official confirmation.

Well I hope it isn't true.

As much as I've enjoyed playing the role of the nameless one, I think it's time to move on and enjoy the world of Gothic from someone else's perspective.

Personally, I am looking forward to this a lot. The Gothic world and its characters still has a lot to offer, and hopefully G4 will have the same level of depth G1 and 2 had.

The screenshots don't really say much, but at this stage I wouldn't expect them to. I am sure they'll hand out more information once they feel ready to.

This twist with JoWood might just turn out for the best if we're lucky: One solid RPG + addon as part of the Gothic series (G3 add + G4), and a completely new series from PB!

I will be pre-ordering all these games, no doubt.

for the record my comment wasn't meant to be literal. i was saying it looks like the game grotesque (which by the way where the heck is it?) rather than a gothic game/setting. don't worry if gothic 4 is balls though Todd, RPB will be grand and Witcher part 2, which could be a lonnnnng time off.

Looks absolutely fine to me - suitably leafy and texturey like the other Gothic games. Assuming the controls were ok I'd be happy wondering around a game world that looked like that.

The Grotesque guys are also doing contract work to stay afloat and keep as much of their IP as they can.

PB hinted again that RPB is scheduled to be finished late this year. Of course the hint was flexible enough to let DS announce the final date. Finished != released.
If that´s correct we can expect a flood of new material close to the E3 and the GC. Another thought would be that finished development a few days before Christmas could mean a simultaneous worldwide release in February.

Screenshots don't do the series much justice. At first glance, the Gothic series looks derivative. What makes it special are the gameplay choices, hostile unforgiving atmosphere, and handcrafted worlds.

Well, aren't ALL RPGs in a way in an hostile environment ?

How, on the other hand, would a character be able to grow into a hero ?

the great things about the gothic games, to me, is that that its based on old mythogies rather than modern fantasy, which has a lot more elves and faires, steampunk, and other very liberal interpretations of 'ancient' societies. the one screenshot with the stone building way out on the precipice of the harrowing narrow stone walkway leads me to believe the game is headed much more towards the cliche end than the gritty end of games like gothic, the witcher.

Gothic 4 by Jowood/Spellbound to many gamers appears to be a follow-on to the existing G1, G2, G3 series. But make no mistake...it will not be G4 by Piranha Bytes! ...the inventors of Gothic.

To me, a most avid original Gothic player, because of this disassociation, G4 will have a "plastic" feel and be somewhat alien to PB concept elements in attempting to follow in the footsteps.

The G4 media crescendo has already begun - but it's not for me, instead i will follow Piranha Bytes in their new venture knowing full well that i will not be disappointed with "Return of Piranha Bytes" - RPB by any other name.

Looking forward to further revelations from the EC and the GC with great anticipation and to devotedly follow that true Gothic feel that i got whenever i played Gothic, a masterpiece of our generation.

To me, a most avid original Gothic player, because of this disassociation, G4 will have a "plastic" feel and be somewhat alien to PB concept elements in attempting to follow in the footsteps.

The G4 media crescendo has already begun - but it's not for me, instead i will follow Piranha Bytes in their new venture knowing full well that i will not be disappointed with "Return of Piranha Bytes" - RPB by any other name.

Have you never enjoyed a game made by anyone else then? The old gothics are really only games you've ever enjoyed in your many years of gaming?

I think it's a shame PB lost control over some of their IP but that's often how game development and finance works. I'm really looking forward to seeing RPB but as far as I can see (and it's very early days), Spellbound has a grasp of the Gothic atmosphere with G4. I'm interested.

Re:
[Have you never enjoyed a game made by anyone else then? The old gothics are really only games you've ever enjoyed in your many years of gaming?]

Played and enjoyed many kalniel, the list is too long to mention but they include all the ultima's, all of the fantasy stars, many of the forgotten realms series, arx fatalis, planescape, the nw-nights, the icewind dales, the lands of lore series, the d/b-divinities, all the bards tales, many of ssi series, the baldersgates, the dungeonsieges, revenant, daggerfall, morrowind, oblivion, the witcher, hard to be a god, the dooms, the quakes, krondor, heretic's, skullkeep, many early dos games, the dungeonmasters, the bitmaps brothers compilations, summoner, rune, quest for heroes, many shooters - the max paynes - the duke nukems, the diablo's, desperado's, the prince of persias, chrome, holy sword, black and white, call for heroes, robin hood, pirates, severance, over 200 sega genesis games, the kings quest series, many fun games eg: meggalo-mania, lemmings etc'

...yet no other game has had me glued in deep fixation of riddle solution finding as G1 as per past forum discussion - it beat all of the experts. It was superior to our gameplaying ideology, we could only comprehend the simplicity but not the complexity, maybe one day it will be explained but i very much doubt it. Piranha bytes had stepped beyond the boundaries of game comprehension with G1 and i even suspect some of this overflowed into G3, therefore this element will never be beaten as is has not yet been realised or published by anyone to date.

So in comparison "Arcania" will have a job to compete with the "hidden-depth" of G1and G3 though it seems they are making good progress in the right direction (especially graphics) from the fan's feedback and requests. Clues/riddles etc' i suspect will be mostly on the surface geared more to the ability of younger and more contemporary gaming audience, we will see.

Well, Obsidian did a good job with NWN2/KotOR2 despite BioWare making the originals, so Gothic 4 might just turn out allright. Keep in mind that PB is also working on a new RPG, so now we get two RPGs to try out instead of one.

Well, aren't ALL RPGs in a way in an hostile environment ?

How, on the other hand, would a character be able to grow into a hero ?

Yeah but in the Gothic series it seems to go to an extreme. Nobody likes you very much at first and you have to earn people's trust before they will be very friendly with you. I liked this especially about the first two Gothic games. This is one of the things that separates Gothic from other games of this type. I hope that Spellbound appreciates this and doesn't turn Gothic 4 into a low rent Oblivion clone.

Back
Top Bottom