Risen 2 - Officially Announced!

From a future PB press release:

"Every time you push a button, something dark and gritty happens!"

"We spent a ton of time researching what players want, and they simply want cool stuff to happen all the time, and they don't like to think!"

"We removed the faction system, because we found - based on feedback - that players don't really want to make such a decision. It simply gets in the way of the FUN stuff. So, you don't have to worry about any of that stuff anymore."

"We really like to stay in touch with the modern gamer, and so we've tried to figure out how to make the best combat system in the world. What we've found, again - based on extensive research - is that the annoying and complicated RPG stuff - is just not helping the game be FUN. So, now you simply pick up a weapon, og you cast a really cool spell - and you can just… DO IT! You don't have to worry about skills or abilities. That was really never much fun, when you think about it!"

"We really feel that Risen 2: Rise of the Awesome - is our best game yet. I mean, we've made some really cool games - but this one, and I promise you this from the bottom of my heart, is THE best game we could ever make. It's almost like a dream come true for us, here at PB!"

^From a future Risen 2 reception:

95.gif

Thanks for that interesting info' DArtagnan, this is indeed diversive adjustment of the famous PB style, though i suspect it is a mere 'evolutionary rpg streamlining' process, going with the trend of recent times, it cuts costs as well.

PS :smiley added -:lol:

They would be sued, since "selling dumbing down as awesomeness" is copyright by Bioware.

i never played any D&D as an adult or kid, but I have been through many caves, etc in my years, albiet only in north america, but i have always loved the cave exploring in the gothic/risen games, and "to be honest"(if i didn't disclaim that I'm sure you wouldn't believe me) and no game I've played has come close to the enjoyment of cave exploring as in these games. I can not imagine how anyone could put forth any game that has come close to their level from an exploration scope not just artistic. there's so few "free running and jumping" games that even would fall into that category in the first place. most games that have that are either crammed and non-cavernous with huge cielings/cisterns or carbon copies ala oblivion.

I think Risen would have been a great game if they had managed to write a final act where you had to deal with the factions and people you worked with or against in the first chapters. Instead we got a long dungeon crawl only interrupted by some unimaginative fetch quests and followed by one of the worst end bosses ever seen in an RPG. (What, did I just enter a platformer?) Too bad.

Risen is still a good game with these shortcomings, but it could have been great. I wish them luck with the sequel, and considering how great Gothic II was there is certainly some reason to be excited. :)

If this game is anything like the first one which I tried in the demo then I'm definitely not interested. If it has a new game engine and a new direction, then I'm interested.

Cool, i liked Risen a lot. Could've used a few more enemy types/environs toward the end tho. The final boss was kinda comical ='.'=

I was concerned that it didn't sell well enough to justify a sequel. I guess it did ok on PC. Not sure about console.

I loved Risen's environmental design, just a lot of fun to explore. Loved the questing, too.

Next time don't give us a shoddy port! *%)#!

Risen was awesome and I look forward to Risen 2! My only gripe about Risen was that it felt 'too small' inasmuch as Gothic 3 felt 'too big.' I'd like to see a landmass about 2/3s the size of G3.

Good news - glad Risen sold enough for them to do this.

Having said that, I think I prefer the freedom of the more open world in Gothic3 to Risen's island which often seemed to rely more on linear pathways across the land. Let me roam free on the plains hunting bison!

Also, wasn't all that impressed with the island's appearance. The geology often appeared contrived and unnatural.

Risen was a bit too conservative. I hope they don't go back to the things they've tried in Gothic 3 though. It was much too big and had no advantage over their standard formula with the exception of the beautiful world.

Good news. I have a weak spot for the people of PB.
I do hope they'll create a game which will be like chapter 1 of Risen 1, it was magnificent and addictive.
Chapter 3/4, I didn't like the linear aspect in there, and the boss fight reminded me of Duke Nukem 1. Please, could the ending be different, can it be based on the choices the gamer made earlier in the game?

Last edited:
Wow, this one is going to be hard for PB... they can't take a big risk again like Gothic 3... if they fail they'll surely go bankrupt... on the other hand if they make it too much like risen 1 people will complain they just copy the same concept too many times.

Here is hoping they do something like Gothic 1 but with some new ideas.......

Like others I hope they can inject a healthy dose of new ideas. I did (do) enjoy Risen, but after G3 (in the CP incranation) it did in some ways feel like a step back and too conservative. Also the island just wasn't as interesting a place/setting (to me) as the original prison colony of G3. Still, this is of course good news and something to look forward to.

I have 12 days left this summer. Will I have enough time to finish Risen if i start now?

Back
Top Bottom