What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

We watched 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower'. Best movie I have seen in a while ... very well acted and played out. Real shame that it never got the promotion or placement it deserved ...

We watched 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower'. Best movie I have seen in a while … very well acted and played out. Real shame that it never got the promotion or placement it deserved …

I've been meaning to check it out, but it kinda looked like a standard romantic comedy.

Guess not?

I've been meaning to check it out, but it kinda looked like a standard romantic comedy.

Guess not?

Not really - it is very much a character study, and the interesting thing is that it is set in the early 90s, it speaks to the high school experience my wife and I had in the early 80s and my kids are having now without feeling overly generic or cliched. The acting of the three main leads is key to making it work.

Not really - it is very much a character study, and the interesting thing is that it is set in the early 90s, it speaks to the high school experience my wife and I had in the early 80s and my kids are having now without feeling overly generic or cliched. The acting of the three main leads is key to making it work.

Sounds good. I'm very much about the characters - so this could be just the thing.

Made a note of it :)

Yes! A classic for the first time ever uncut on home cinema ... and surprisingly enough it's the German BD:

For a Few Dollars More on Blu-Ray. Release Feb 22nd in Germany. Uncut DVD coming soon.

All other BD & DVD versions worldwide, including the Italian, are cut.

We watched 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower'. Best movie I have seen in a while … very well acted and played out. Real shame that it never got the promotion or placement it deserved …

I also saw it, and I also liked it a lot. It turned out to be something much more than just a high-school drama. Very nice movie.

Saw "Atlas Shrugged" part 1 last night. I thought it was good enough that I'll watch part 2.

I was recently shown a Satire called "Eurotrip". It is the tale of a few American Teenagers going into Europe.

One said that "this is how American sees Europe" -*facepalm* .

Wikipedia article : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EuroTrip

It was never shown in German cinemas, not that I knew of.

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone

Don't waste your money. I thought the combination of Steve Carell, Jim Carrey, and Steve Buscemi would at least be good for some laughs. I was wrong.

The only thing incredible about the movie was how silly and predictable it was.

You don't need the word "kinda" there. ;)

Yeah, in hindsight i agree with you. The sand demon battle was almost cool, as it turns out Rose McGowan was ultimately the only likeable thing about the movie.

I'm a little late to the party, but I finally saw The Hobbit this week.

I have to agree with the majority that it was mostly disappointing. The action scenes were way over the top, especially the sequence during which they were escaping the Misty Mountains. They must have slain 100+ goblins during that escape, and that's certainly not how I remember it in the book. The goblin king also looked and sounded ridiculous.

The only redeeming scene for me was Bilbo and Gollum. I thought that sequence was excellent. The movie as a whole was definitely mediocre though.

Watched Dredd; very visual, brutal and to the point - Dredd to the flesh, literally.

Very well done, satisfying and faithfull to the comics. My only complaint is that I felt it was a bit short and would have liked more.

Highly recommend, but not for the faint hearted.

Saw "The Marshal" with John Wayne yesterday on DVD - one of the better "Western" movies.

Was recently remade under its original title of "True Grit".

Impressive, imho : The role of the young woman. Must've been extraordinary at that time (1970).

Watched GI Joe: Retaliation tonight. It was a *very* fun ride for a military fiction aficionado and action figure collector :D. Due to the topic it was way more to my liking than last week's Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters.

Back
Top Bottom