Gamasutra - Series Loyalty and Straying from the Path

Dhruin

SasqWatch
An interesting piece at Gamasutra last Friday that RPG Codex picked up titled Series Loyalty and Straying from the Path touches on "the common stand that brings a series together" and fan expectations. It's rather console directed but does raise some interesting questions:
Nintendo’s Metroid series changed more considerably when it finally made its way into the foray of 3D on the Gamecube. While past Metroid games had been 2D action platformers using the same viewpoint as its contemporaries, the new Metroid, dubbed Prime by developers Retro Studios, was presented from a first person view, akin to shooters like Quake and Halo.

When the game was first revealed, many long time Metroid fans demanded and explanation for such a drastic shift in the gameplay. Some even declared that Metroid proper was dead, and this new series was nothing more than a shadow of what 3D Metroid could have been.

Retro and Nintendo fired back with a simple explanation: both companies felt that Metroid was not defined by its viewpoint or its graphics. Such changes were only cursory and did not take away from what really made Metroid: a sense of exploration, and isolation. Thematically, the argument was air tight. The series still featured heroine Samus Aran as well as her long time enemies the Space Pirates, and of course the alien metroids. Many still condemned the series, and some outright ignore its current iterations.
Sound familiar?
More information.

I presume that there is supposed to be an analogy here to Fallout 3, but it's not a good one. Metroid has always been an action series and third/first person has proven to be a better vehicle for action games. The first two Fallouts were turn-based RPG's with tactical combat. 3D does little for this kind of game that isn't cosmetic. A 1st/3rd person action game in this case is far more drastic of a departure.

I like the picture of Mike Wilson on the same page. Does he look insane, or what?

Another big difference in the Metroid analogy is that Metroid was reinvented using new technology for essentially the same audience i.e. Nintendo fans. Fallout, on the other hand, is being reinvented because it is being targeted at brand new fans of the series. The XBox 360 is clearly the lead platform for this game. It has little to do with the benefits of top down vs 1st person, as a game like The Witcher clearly demonstrates. It's purely an issue of sales numbers. Or rather perceived sales numbers. 2d sidescrollers had long since been outdated by the time Metroid Prime came out, but the same cannot be said of isometric PC games, as NWN 2, The Witcher, Civilization IV, and dozens of RTS's show.

I dunno, I'd call moving Final Fantasy from 2D turn-based RPG to 3D whatever-based full of metrosexuals and emo characters more similar ... ;)

On the other hand does anyone even remember Castle Wofenstein and Beyond Castle Wofenstein? The first person scroller was Castle Wolfenstein 3D. Or the original Duke Nukems?

Ultima is a game that was constantly reinventing itself until it started reinventing itself into the ground. I know people love U7 and UU but both games had problems even running on most systems. But again on the other hand most UO players hadn't even heard of the originals and in that case its lack of innovation strangled the game when EQ leaped ahead of it.

Other considerations would be the changes in XCom to real time and what happened to the Descent franchise.

Or how about Might and Magic. It innovated then branched off before succumbing to itself. The only franchise I can think of that avoided backlash this was Wizardry, mostly, with Nemesis being its only real failure.

Never played Metroid, don't know anything about it. It still sounds like a broadly similar situation regardless of the developers' motivation (to me, anyway).

It is, but Metroid kind of moved from being a platform 2D game that was about exploration first and shooting second into a first-person 3D game that was about exploration first and shooting second.

The only thing that changed, really, was the viewpoint. They changed quite a few things more for Fallout.

Back
Top Bottom