What games are you playing now?

As for ranger, it'll probably use bows heavily which is not a bad choice as there is a certain boss I dunno how to kill without a bow user(s) in the party. But one of initial NPCs to recruit already has a bit proficiency in bows… So again you don't need to be a ranged based class yourself. :D

That is one of the problem with these party based games. You always spend some time feeling totally redundant at the beginning when you have unlocked few companions. Or you feel like something missing because class X companions is super far away (NWN2 and the cleric for example).

I went with the ranger. He completes the starting companions nicely with his skill selection.

NWN2? This game is at least dozen times better than NWN2.

Unlike NWN2, here you can to do almost anything you want.
You need a cleric but do not have one? Big deal! Teach any of your spellcasters a few spells (balm, calm, purum) and you rock.
Assuming you have only a combat spellcaster in the party, one may say but it's a loss of XP points, instead of investing into destructive spells you toss those points into antipoison! It doesn't work like that. Yes, you can use points as you like, however:
Calm body/spirit and Clarum purum just learn, but don't use XP points to up them as they work with practically the same efficiency on every level.
Healing Balm on higher levels cures wounds so you don't need to use bandages any more but sell them! But since you can buy bandages for some cheap money and loot them almost anywhere, it's your choice will you improve healing balm or not. I did, as one can never have enough cash. ;)

I'm taking break from IWD2.... heavens, I'm so sick of that game now. Currently at Dragon's Eye and my god, it's extremely annoying!!! Chests or doors that cannot be open and some of them containing crucial quest items....... (I don't have thief in my party). I'm having more fun reading LP (Heronius Napalm V esq.... so damn funny).

Given up on NWN2 as well. Will wait hubby to finish NWN2 OC and start MotB with him later. Can't stomach 2 games I dislike at once.

Going back to KotOR!

If you have a mage you can use the Knock spell. Many IWD addicts don't go with a thief because of the mage spell. I think clerics have a Detect Traps spell (can't remember if it clears the traps though as I always take a thief).

Yeah, I lost it with NWN2 towards the end, so close to the end I might as well finish it, but I've stopped 'bothering' with all the cutscenes and potential extras. just the end-end boss to do now and I'll pack it away for a long time, possibly forever.

Anyone else playing football manager 2014? I managed to avoid it the last 2 years but i failed this one. Addictive as hell.

If you have a mage you can use the Knock spell. Many IWD addicts don't go with a thief because of the mage spell. I think clerics have a Detect Traps spell (can't remember if it clears the traps though as I always take a thief).

Yeah, I lost it with NWN2 towards the end, so close to the end I might as well finish it, but I've stopped 'bothering' with all the cutscenes and potential extras. just the end-end boss to do now and I'll pack it away for a long time, possibly forever.

Problem: I don't have a mage either.... God knows why I took 2 sorcerers =.=

Party: PC (Sorcerer), Jaemal (Sorcerer), Valeero (Cleric), Diriel (Druid/Fighter), Ridzaer (Fighter), Salomeya (Bard).

I'm taking break from IWD2…. heavens, I'm so sick of that game now.
Woa, that comforts me as I thought I was missing something with this game ! I had such a great time playing Icewind dale but got sick with IW2 despite some improvements.The weapons management and inventory and the characters development were fine, the story had good premise overall but man, what a drag down past the first chapter ! A big deception from an otherwise nice looking and attractive game.

Because of all the talk about Sacred 3, I installed Sacred 2 Gold edition with the Community Patch and the Sacred Tool mod to reduce the spawn rate by half, having a lot of fun playing as a Dragon Mage.

Problem: I don't have a mage either…. God knows why I took 2 sorcerers =.=

Party: PC (Sorcerer), Jaemal (Sorcerer), Valeero (Cleric), Diriel (Druid/Fighter), Ridzaer (Fighter), Salomeya (Bard).

Knock is a level 2 spell and should have been available to your sorcerers on a number of occasions? I dunno, you're an experienced RPGer, you must have had unlock issues before this late stage in the game? At least thought about it at some point during creation?

Anyway, yeah, I don't struggle to defend IWD2 so much, it's one hell'a'va game by anyone's standards, lol. But I have made some help threads on it in the Gamebanshee forums, such as a Fell Wood map and a Battle Squares prize quide.

How did you get on with the more puzzle orientated aspects? Did you enjoy fell wood and the ice temple?

If you love the weirder aspects of games, I'd advise you stick it out at least to the end of Dragon's eye, just for all the time-travel goodness, that section of the game is pretty unique by any game's standards.

Bash worked just fine to open chests up to this stage. I usually take rogue, but this time I didn't because the rogue from mod got on my nerves a lot and I don't usually play thief/rogue class. Never thought of Knock spell because I never used it, and as a sorcerer, I can't change spells I've picked in lower levels.

Whenever I got stuck with puzzles, Gamebanshee guide helped me out just fine. I didn't do the battle square though, I just wanted to get the hell out of that damn ice temple and I happened to realise I will be revisiting there soon after Dragon's Eye… another reason that made me stop playing IWD2. I'm just not enjoying any aspect of this game. Not the combat, not the puzzle, not the music, not the area design….

And I don't really think I'm experienced RPGer... I've only finished handful of RPGs and most of them are Bioware games (because I love the party based games with lots of interactions).

And I don't really think I'm experienced RPGer… I've only finished handful of RPGs and most of them are Bioware games (because I love the party based games with lots of interactions).

No thief and no swiss-army-mage in a D&D game? I might have to agree with that! ;)

As promised I didn't want to write in the Thief thread more as it's… Not a thread about someone's gameplay, right?

I'm getting more and more furious on the city design.
It looked awsome when I just started, so many "hidden" spots to explore, so many odd alley turns, one can easily get lost. It was probably too big for the engine to chew, so they've split the city into a few separate areas.
And that leads to annoyance after annoyance.

1. There is no marking what passage or window actually takes you into another town section. Okay I'm not saying the game should hold your hand everywhere, but this is not marking a quest giver, quest object or whatever else - it's showing on the map where the bloody passage to another area is.

2. Conneceted to #1, by switching city sections it may happen you're forced to some previous quest. While I was doing sidequest (voice chip for a robot) the game forced me to replay bloody Lockdown (main quest) mission. I did get some more cash with that, but hell I didn't want to replay a mission! It's not a bug per se - you can replay missions when and if you want, but IF YOU CHOOSE TO, why would a player be forced into replaying any mission just because they've split the town into sections?

3. Bloody guards respawn on the same spot they were whenever you finish a main story mission. And it's okay, assuming a day or a few passed. Since the game contains 8 chapters, you'll adapt to avoid/kill/knockdown guards on the same spots 7 times. Which is very annoying but still, can't say it's not logical.
But there are side missions you get from a machine maker and a circus something man. Those missions you finish in a short time. Shorter than a day, noone can spot some guard is not patrolling, that short. Upon finishing those side missions - bloody guards also respawn! So its not 7 times any more. It's 14 bloody times you need to deal with the same guards, I'm already going crazy!
Very bad design, very bad.

4. Speaking of respawn… Break a vase. Save the game. Load it. The vase is again there miraculously unbroken. I wouldn't care for this - if there was no loot in some vases. And by respawning them on load I don't know which one I did crash, and which is yet to be checked.

5. Main story ch 3 could be a problem if you didn't take at least 1 rope arrow with you. After I finished it, crossed my mind it could happen to some people and I've checked Steam forums - seems that ppl can definetly get stuck (gamestopper bug) without that arrows type - devs forgot to put a few in the area.

Other than that… Started chapter 5 mission and won't be playing more till tomorrow.

While chapter 1 and 2 main missions were not bad, chapter 3 main story quest design is brilliant. Not just the level design. Drama/thriller/horror - it's all there. You go to a brothel, sadly, not to get laid! And while you could go peeping tom all over the place, soon you'll find out there are some more things to be discovered there, not just pleasures (and pain?). While exploring the second part of the mission, you're on the edge all the time, watching when will the bloody thing attack you and expecting it all the time. What thing? Well… Play the game!

Chapter 4 is special in another way, it's all action! You must run and jump like crazy in that chapter, avoid fires and pass a leaking gas area as fast as possible. On top of that you want to crack the biggest safe ever and just when you think you've cracked it… I won't spoil that.

If you read somewhere that the ingame story sux, just ignore it. They lie or they didn't play the game past the prologue.
Or they finished the game and it ends like ME3.

Last edited:
I'm playing Drakensang: River of Time and quite liking it.

At what level should I tackle the add-on, "Phileasson's Secret"? I just killed Papa Rat at level 6. Nice challenge that!

I like the world design and quests, but the translation needs some work. The dialog is a bit nonsensical with the sometimes bad translations.

Also the controls seem a bit simplistic. Is there a way to tell a party member to hold his ground like NWN2? I'd like to use Cano to sneak and scout ahead but it's impossible when party members start to follow after a short distance.

Also, killed enemies disappear if you walk more than a hundred feet from them. I hope that Ork Shaman had nothing useful on him.

I'm playing Drakensang: River of Time and quite liking it.

At what level should I tackle the add-on, "Phileasson's Secret"? I just killed Papa Rat at level 6. Nice challenge that!

I like the world design and quests, but the translation needs some work. The dialog is a bit nonsensical with the sometimes bad translations.

Also the controls seem a bit simplistic. Is there a way to tell a party member to hold his ground like NWN2? I'd like to use Cano to sneak and scout ahead but it's impossible when party members start to follow after a short distance.

Also, killed enemies disappear if you walk more than a hundred feet from them. I hope that Ork Shaman had nothing useful on him.
Go for Phileasson as soon as you can. But be at least level 10 for the finale.
You can solo/scout only with your hero after kicking others from the party. You can't kick your hero out of the party so only one NPC stays.
Ork shamans sometimes have blue pots. Sometimes not. And nothing else worth bothering with. :)

I'm totally and utterly angry with Thief today.
There is a savegame problem. I saved the game. Ysabella disappeared. Can't carry her to the escape door which means I'm stuck with a gamestopper bug. And now have to replay the whole side mission being careful not to save the game after I unlock the prison door! For god's sakes what were they thinking?
I've turned it off, my bloodpressure is most probably 300.

Last edited:
I've heard from several friends that the new Thief game seems to have a few known problems. I stick to my axiom, never buy a game these days without at least 2-3 patches hitting first. It's a shame that you have to wait for those things, but it beats playing a basically broken game.

Trust me it's not nearly as broken as Skyrim was. Is. :)
I just have that… Fate. Destiny. To find almost every single possible bug in a game. And then I got hit by this side quest mission bug, and as usual, when it comes to games with bugs, I didn't make a separate save every now and then, so can now revert only to mission starting autosave.

Didn't say that I've finished main story mission chapter 5.
It happens in an asylum. Haunted asylum.
Oddly, although you're a thief, this time you're not there to steal something, but are trying to find out what happened to your friend.
Whoever plays the game now or will play it later, I recommend not playing chapter 5 mission during night. And do not turn off the sound. Not because I'm a sadistic bastard who wants you to freak out, but because sounds tell you the numbers to a code of a safe. In the safe is… Who cares. Okay, can't lie, I'm a sadistic bastard who wants you to freak out! Max the sound!
The ch5 mission is again awsome. Didn't find one collectible of possible 6. Not that I care anyway, seems there is no bonus or something connected to those. We'll see.

Ah design choices… And why I say there are bad ones apart from those I've already mentioned.
Took a pic so I can explain one more I dislike. You start a mission. This is how a side mission looks:

30lkq2w.jpg

What does this mean? For each challenge scored, you get bonus cash. And you want more cash. You need more cash.
Okay, let's get all challenges done, right? Wrong!
Check the pic again. No kills/knockouts? Okay. But how the hell to make aerial takedown when it's practically a knockout in one run?
Nohow. You have to replay the mission. The game is designed so you must replay side missions at least twice and main story missions three times to get every challenge done. Game replay or mission replay, which design is better? I'd say game replay.

Last edited:
Go for Phileasson as soon as you can. But be at least level 10 for the finale.
You can solo/scout only with your hero after kicking others from the party. You can't kick your hero out of the party so only one NPC stays.
Ork shamans sometimes have blue pots. Sometimes not. And nothing else worth bothering with. :)

OK, thanks!

So what is the finale? I have a quest now open regarding a guard needing some rest or somesuch in town. Can you leave the addon for the main game and go back any time, or are you stuck in a linear quest chain to the end?

Playing Thief Gold.

I've mucked about with it several times in the past, but I've never played all the way through it. This time, I'm determined to finish it as well as Thief II.

I just completed the forth mission, "Down in the Bonehoard", and I'm wondering why I waited so long to attempt a full playthrough of this game.

Back
Top Bottom