The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Listening to the brand new Opeth album: Watershed. I don't like it as much as some previous albums. It has its moments, but not as solid as Blackwater Park or Still Life. It is definitely more experimental than anything previous, and more 'extraverted' - using other voices and sounds beside MA's.

The Verve is a shoegaze band. Granted, "Bittersweet Symphony" was from their pop sellout cd (Urban Hymns), but we still claim them. You can still hear the gazer roots in the guitar and vocal treatments. I love that song, too.

Listening to the brand new Opeth album: Watershed. I don't like it as much as some previous albums. It has its moments, but not as solid as Blackwater Park or Still Life. It is definitely more experimental than anything previous, and more 'extraverted' - using other voices and sounds beside MA's.

Completely agree.
Some idividual moments are great but the more diverse songs are composed in somewhat random manner and transitions between various parts are too forced/underdeveloped. And softer songs lack the inspiration or, uhm, magic of some older ones. The ordering of songs doesn´t help. Hopefully, next one will be better.

As for what I´m currently listening to, Dead Can Dance it is:

Xavier - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjtpIBkuHQ8
Summoning Of The Muse - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbkhe8-cvYI
Persephone - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUWfGZWvcqc

All from Within The Realm Of A Dying Sun, their best album.

i kinda like moi dix moi. Kinda. Nocturnal Romance is pretty cool. Tho being in japanese definitely hinders the experience.
They're a bit too speed metal-y for my taste, but otherwise their stuff is... okay. Sometimes. The CD I have in my car is 'Nocturnal Opera', by the way.

Yeah, there was a big stink about Ashcroft sampling/stealing the Oldham interpretation. I don't know what came of all the legal gyrations. Ashcroft is a prick (even though he makes some good music), so it's entirely possible he tried to sneak one thru. Still doesn't change the fact that it's a great version of the song.

Last edited:
Listening to Judas Priest's new concept album, "Nostradamus"...

I really like the music, but I think they could have come up with much better subject matter for their first concept album. Tackling a heavy issue, or part of history would have been much more powerful for me. The whole Nostradamus thing is kinda silly to me (and I'm not saying that Nostradamus was good/bad, right/wrong... it just doesn't interest me when the man has been discussed to death in other mediums (pun kinda intended)).

That personal issue aside... it's a great album!

Listening to Hawkwind: Hall of the Mountain Grill... man, I love that band (and that album). Their newer stuff doesn't appeal to me much... but their music from the late '60s through the '70s is just amazing.

And I prefer their sound from the albums when Lemmy was playing bass and helping to write, the most.

Nothing new to offer, I'm afraid. Tearwave, Chandeen, and Birthday Massacre have taken most of my time the past several days.

That was good stuff, Arhu. Throw some ethereal vocals on that, and you've really got something. When I was in Texas, there was a trance/house radio station that I spent a lot of time with. Some of the stuff was a little repetitive, but a fair bit was worth a listen. I discovered Andain via that station.

DeepO, you sir are, well, deep. A guy that puts up Boris, followed by Joni Mitchell? That's some serious complexity. You might be entering Jaz's league for eclectic taste in music.

Haha, thanks.

As someone said: "Music is what feelings sound like."
Genres are just an afterthought.

Here´s a bonus song for you, hope you´ll like it :):
Durutti Column - Never Know: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2GFGsFdURU
How this band didn´t receive more attention is beyond me.

Back
Top Bottom