Windows 7 Severance Blade Of Darkness

unleashed-28

Traveler
Severance - Blade Of Darkness on Windows 7

I am very pleased to announce that the Hack and Slay/ Slash game ‘ Severance – Blade Of Darkness ‘ works fine on Microsoft Windows 7 Professional. Please note I have bought the ‘ Professional ‘ version of Windows 7, which has the added capabilities of running many XP productivity applications in the special Windows XP Mode2. If you want the Professional version, currently costs around £169.00.

I am tired out after three solid hours of hacking the enemies to pieces. Game works fine, only thing I have picked up so far with the game is some event triggers, such as reading rune tablets and unlocking platforms gets stuck. Either hit the ‘ windows ‘ key to get back to the desktop, then click back on the Severance minimised window to re-enter the running game and should clear the fault. Alternatively hit the return key, but this method automatically skips the next bit you ‘ really ‘ want to see, such as reading a rune tablet.

OK folks, the following is what I did thanks to a combination of visiting the Codemaster ‘ Official ‘ Website, and the very hard effort of you fans out there. You can deviate from the following if you’re a real computer geek!!!
Here goes: Go to: http://www.codemasters.co.uk/downloads/

Select: Severance: Blade Of Darkness Bestsellers, for PC platform.

Select : Severance: Blade of Darkness - The Full Game (Released 03/10/2006).
Game is 679mb in size and paid £ 4.99 for game with optional £ 1.95 download insurance (your game also saved on a server for 18 months, in case you loose the game somehow). I am thinking that the version on Codemasters website has more bug fixes added to the game since its original release!! Your call!!! Next, on Codemasters website, select the ‘ Download ‘ tab, Select : Severance: Blade of Darkness, on PC platform , and type patch/ upgrade. There are two patches available. Be sure to use the right patch either for Europe or America.

Next, goto: http://www.thecrawdaddypage.com/reviewsA/shots/bod/raster.zip
Alternatively visit: http://www.thecrawdaddypage.com/reviewsA/BoD.html
To download the OpenGL Raster program. You need a program such as WinRAR to unzip the program and a Readme file. Follow the instructions ‘ after ‘ installing the full-game and patch.

I found this bit tricky to get the game working. Right click the Severance shortcut on your desktop and select ‘ Properties ‘. Select ‘ Compatibility ‘ tab. Place a tick in the ‘ Run this program in compatibility mode for: ‘ Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 5) ‘.
Next, run the program and in the ‘ Setup ‘ option, Video is set to ‘ rOpenGL ’, Audio is set to ‘ DirectSound 3D Software Emulation ‘. Next, hit the ‘ configure ‘ button, select ‘Full Screen’, ‘ 32 bpp ‘, ‘ 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz ‘. In here, there are all sorts of play around options/ graphic plig-ins etc. within different tab options. I don’t know what the best settings are. I would be interested in anyone’s feedback on this. During game play, I have seen in very dark caves, the graphics is very grey and black, in tunnels, is sometimes very dark orange and red. Again, I welcome anyone’s thoughts on how to put this right. I am just thankful that this gem of a game works ok.

I have an ATI HD4870 graphics card and I have not adjusted anything in the CCC – Wizard application. My sound card is a Creative X-Fi Series - X-Fi XtremeGamer.

So, now you all know, Severance - Blade of Darkness works with Windows 7 Professional.

“ LET BATTLE COMMENCE “. :)

Last edited:
This is one of my all time favorite games for the PC without doubt. Glad to see you have it running on Windows 7 as I had some issues last time I tried (totally black menu and dialog). I'll try the OpenGL raster after I D/L the patch, raster, and BoDLoader (mods) in the near future. Previously, I'd never use OpenGL because it made the visibility in the snowy mountain pass level near zero making it a big PITA.

Always good to see another Severance fan :)

Definite fave of mine as well! Really need to get in a replay - sadly the January onslaught is about to hit!

During game play, I have seen in very dark caves, the graphics is very grey and black, in tunnels, is sometimes very dark orange and red. Again, I welcome anyone’s thoughts on how to put this right. I am just thankful that this gem of a game works ok.

You can setup the Opengl to make this most userfull..

Run "Setup" on the game launcher.. after, point to "Configuration..." to alter rOpenGL configs...

On the "color" tab, you can setup contrast and brightness to "0" and gamma as you want.. there I was set to 30.. ^^

Also, you can set the Ansiotropi to value "1.000000".. this is helpfull to the textures..

The better filter texture to this game is "GL_LINEAR"..

so... in the toon tab, make you sure that "Toon colour" is disabled too.. this is helpfull to the colors game..

OpenGL is the better option to this game (and several others), instead D3D..

Enjoy!! My excuses if my text is not understandable.. i'm not fluently on your language...

Just a quick update. I am replaying this at the moment and decided to try glide mode on this game. Graphics are better than d3d or openGL and no problems with the fog or compatibility (yes I know there is an openGL fog mod). Runs great on 64bit Windows 7.

First install the game outside your "program files" directory (for example put it in c:\games\Severance).

Then you need to apply official patch v1.001 to enable 3dfx mode

Install this excellent Glide wrapper.
http://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide

In the setup choose rdfxvoodo1&2 and run the game. There should be 3dfx logo displaying just after intro video.

You can even choose higher resolutions within nglide configuration tool to enable widescreen support.

Back
Top Bottom