RPGWatch - Game of the Year 2011 Awards

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
From today until Tursday the 12th of January you have a chance to vote for your game of the year 2011.
We've changed the voting process a bit. You now have the opportunity to vote twice in each category (first and second places). The categories you can vote in are:
- Best RPG 2011
- Best Indie RPG 2011
- Most promising RPG 2012
- Most promising Indie RPG 2012
This means there are a total of 8 questions.
We have given a number of games in each of the categories, but if you feel we've missed a game, you are free to add it to the list, by selecting 'Other' and entering the name of the game.
This yeare we have did not include DLC and add-ons from the lists (unless they are really big).
More information.

2011 for me

Best RPG:
The Witcher 2
Skyrim

Best Indie:
Frayed Knights
Grotesque Tactics 2

Most promising RPG:
Risen 2
King Arthur 2

Most promising Indie RPG:
Age of Decadence
Newcomer (C64)

Wow, well that was a rather... lengthy poll, but I completed it.

A small correction - the game 'Eschalon' is spelled incorrectly in the poll questions.

Yeah it's quite a bit. If in general it is perceived as too much, we go back to selecting only 1 game per category next year.

Corrected Eschalon, thanks for the info.

2011 for me

Best RPG:
The Witcher 2
Skyrim

Best Indie:

Most promising RPG:
Risen 2

Age of Decadence

We took it out.

It took me very little time to complete the poll. I didn't find it to be too long or complex at all. Including a second choice was a good idea IMO.

We took it out.

Was that because you don't think it qualifies as an RPG, or because the date is not certain?

While its RPG pedigree might be questionable, I suppose it's probably the game I'm most looking forward to, regardless of genre.

Last edited:
I'm kinda curious how the second-choice thing is handled. Are they weighted, or would a game that's a close second in the "favorite" category but doesn't show as strong in the second-place category (partly because so many voted for it as their first-place favorite) not gonna make the second-place cut?

Mostly idle speculation 'cuz I'm curious. And as a game designer, I obsess over these stupid little things. :)

Best RPG of 2011 for me:
Best RPG:
1.Drakensang:The River Of Time
2.The Witcher 2
3.TES-Skyrim :) I had to add it
Best Indie RPG:
1.Dungeons Of Dredmor
2.Avadon:The Black Fortres
Most Promising RPG:
Risen 2
1.Eschalon Book 3
2.Legends Of Grimrock

I tend to stay behind the curve so I hadn't played quite a few on the lists; the only AAA games I bought at release this year were Skyrim which was my vote, and The Witcher 2. I did just pick up Dead Island and Deus Ex on Steam holiday sales. I still voted as Deus Ex for the secondary since I enjoyed the short time I played with it so far.

The same with the Indies, I had only bought Frayed Knights on the release date, where I picked up Bastion, Avadon, and Dungeons of Dredmor later.

I'm kinda curious how the second-choice thing is handled. Are they weighted, or would a game that's a close second in the "favorite" category but doesn't show as strong in the second-place category (partly because so many voted for it as their first-place favorite) not gonna make the second-place cut?

Mostly idle speculation 'cuz I'm curious. And as a game designer, I obsess over these stupid little things. :)
They will be weighted. I'm not sure about the weights exactly yet, I was thinking about a 2:3 relationship, 2 number 1 votes for a game equal 3 number 2 votes. Alternatively it could be 1:2, so two number 2 votes equal a single number 1 vote, which makes the number 1 vote more important.

The poll could use a bit more built-in intelligence. It is for example no problem to vote for the same game twice as no. 1 and no. 2 (yes I tried that earlier today when I was bored at work ;) ). The poll should return something like "Sorry but you have already voted for that game as your no. 1 choice - please select a different game or 'none' ".

Other than that I also liked the 'none' option a lot :) .

2011 for me

Best RPG:
The Witcher 2
Skyrim

Best Indie:

Most promising RPG:
Risen 2

Age of Decadence
Exactly how I voted. Other than Risen 2 I don't see any really exciting non-indie RPG coming up so it was between SouthPark and The Game of Thrones with the latter getting my vote.

Back
Top Bottom