Dungeon Siege 3

D

Deleted User

Hello.

For some reason I have avoided this game and never gave it much of a look. I decided to play the demo a few nights ago because I read it was a couch co-op game. I'm really glad I did, as the demo really impressed me!

It was just a really well done game, judging by the short time I spent with it, of course. My dad and I played for a few hours. The gameplay was solid, but I really enjoyed the questing and the loot. I also read a book of lore about a mystical forest where people lose their way and it sounded really cool. Is there lots of lore like that in the game?

I haven't seen many posts about it on this site and I haven't heard much about it even when it was new a year and a half ago.

What are your thoughts on this game? How are the locations? The lore? From what I played it was all pretty good but I'd like some other impressions as well. Thanks!

Haven't tried it yet but I've had my eye on this one as Obsidian is the developer. I plan to pick it up whenever the price drops to around $5 or so on Steam.

I tried getting into it a long time ago but the camera and the controls were frustrating (I was using KB+M on the PC version). I ended up quitting after an hour or 2.

I'll give it a try again when my game backlog clears up a bit :) Also possibly after purchasing an XBOX controller.

Everyone suggest to play the game with a controller. But I have played and finished DS3 with the keyboard and controls were not a problem for me.

This game has been made with consoles in mind. Console design choices can be seen everywhere of the game. First, due to console limitations textures are low, in order to atone it they added excessive bloom effects. For this reason main characters head shines like a light bulb and there’s no way to close these annoying effects I’m afraid. Also due to memory constrictions of the consoles, dungeons are short, linear and there’s a clear “corridor feeling” in the game (like in Dragon Age 2). So, don’t expect to find older DS games vast dungeons, forests etc.

There’re some side paths for side quests, but not enough and game is pretty much linear. Monsters respawn a lot (not like in a MMO, but still it’s there), but each has a constant level. With each level experience points that you gain from them decreases, to a point where you gain zero XP. So the game pushes you to move forward constantly.

Loot is pretty generic and user interface (inventory, journal, etc) suffers from this consoles first approach.

Lets come to the point where game shines though. Firstly, this game has been made by Obsidian. So, dialogues shine. Each character has a distinct personality and game is very successful at reflecting this to the player. There’re some choice&consequences also and quest design feels a little bit IE, NWN games which is a plus. I also like the voice acting much.

There’re interesting places to explore and each has a distinct history. Obsidian made their best to reflect the lore of DS to the player. Also due to short dungeon designs nothing bores the player, repetitiveness diminishes to minimum. Setting is also well depicted. Stonebridge City is my favourite place in the game with its steampunk feeling.

I have played the game at hardcore difficulty. While the game is challenging and unforgiving (which I like best) some bosses are overpowered and last boss of the game nearly impossible to beat (I discovered a gameplay bug spesific to that place actually and exploit it to beat her :) )

I encountered only one (apart from that I mentioned above) bug and it was game breaking I’m afraid. Luckily I had an early save. So multiple save games is a must.

Overall decent game, can’t satisfy both pure action RPG players and pure hardcore RPG players. But a mix between and it’s pretty cheap now with its DLC. I recommend to play it with the DLC. It’s more of the same, but prolongs the gameplay 5 or 6 hours.

By far the best thing about buying Dungeon Siege 3 on Steam is getting Dungeon Siege 2 included.
I never had played DS2 back when it came out but really enjoy it now, much more fun for me than either 1 or 3 was. Even plays great in widescreen mode(1600x900).

Thanks for the rundown, Gokyabgu.

I'll be playing this sometime in the future, but currently occupied with Sacred 2 and D&D: Daggerdale. Also plan on picking up R.A.W. and Crimson Alliance sometime soon.

So many games so little time :).

Back
Top Bottom