Risen 2 Risen 2 impressions thread

At a point in the game you have to sabotage 3 cannons with Benito standing / sitting day and night in front of them. This is an obvious opportunity to give the player an option to use voodoo especially since
one can talk to Benito in the skin of Sebastiano and one should be able to simply order him away.
But no such option exists. If that's a design decision, than it's a very bad decision, especially on the island in which you learn voodoo.
If voodoo path, use Scepte of Fear. If not, drop the bomb near him (you may loot one in the shed behind him). Otherwise attack him.

The rest including insisting on bug where I couldn't repeat it by any means (trying to find a dialogue sequence that would prevent me to make a doll) I can't comment.

I have to admit there were a lot of possibilities I didn't get on top of before the game ended. I used a powder keg once, never worked out how to use the one sceptre I made, only managed to make one potion (not one I really wanted) and never tried my distilling skills. By the time I felt I could spend money on these things I was pretty much at the end of the game. Wish it had been longer so I could try some of these things out.

I used a powder keg once

I never did figure out how to use one. I'm guessing you need to shoot it with a musket or shotgun, right?

I recall several small temples that I was never able to enter. Although I'm not sure if it was even possible to enter them. I was wondering if I could blow open the entrance with a powder keg or bomb, like the way you could blow open the temple near the pirate's camp with a cannon.

For instance, the temple in the swampy area on the Southeast of Tacarigua. Anyone figure out a way to get in there?

never tried my distilling skills.
That's something I suggest not to practice as you need sugar for rum/grog/painkiller - and the only way to get sugar is to buy it from Booze - and since it's total and permanent 10 sugar you're pretty much screwed. It's however possible that once bought more sugar appears later during the game, but I didn't want to experiment with that.

I recall several small temples that I was never able to enter. Although I'm not sure if it was even possible to enter them. I was wondering if I could blow open the entrance with a powder keg or bomb, like the way you could blow open the temple near the pirate's camp with a cannon.

For instance, the temple in the swampy area on the Southeast of Tacarigua. Anyone figure out a way to get in there?
I've never managed to open those too, but also never tried what you're suggesting - powder kegs (I sold those thinking wtf I don't need that crap since I have bombs do better damage). But since I'm replaying the game I'll try that, thanks for reminding me! Besides, remember Wilson's pistol? I used the monkey to get it because it's behind the locked door, maybe you can blast that door with the powder keg if you don't have the monkey? I've never tried that.

Yeah, I've seen that mentioned, but a lot of people won't have a high enough Voodoo skill at that point in the game.
True, but in that case it depends only if your thievery is good enough to steal the bomb and use it. If your thievery is lousy because you've improved swords or muskets again there is no problem, with the musket you'll have no problem against the guard, and if you're on voodoo path, you got sword 45-100 (+15 piercing)
from Sebastiano's inventory by transfering all he has into any unlocked chest while being him
which means either way the guard is doomed.

Now someone may say that your thievery is definetly high because you need it to rescue the cook from the prison (stealing the key), but actually you don't need the key
you may use the port cannon (the one that you don't need to "destroy") to free the cook.

EDIT: Wasn't sure should I do it, but… spoiler tags added
In any case this game is full of options, I still can't believe low scores it got on several sites. Perhaps those reviewers lack of imagination and can't set the correct score on a game that isn't another game's clone?

Last edited:
That's something I suggest not to practice as you need sugar for rum/grog/painkiller - and the only way to get sugar is to buy it from Booze - and since it's total and permanent 10 sugar you're pretty much screwed. It's however possible that once bought more sugar appears later during the game, but I didn't want to experiment with that.

Yeah, it seems like a waste of money to me. 1000 gold to learn the skill, plus more to get the recipes and ingredients. Rather pointless when you can buy alcohol from Booze, none of which is very expensive.

I tried the pirate cannon on that temple by their den and nothing seemed to happen. Did I mis-aim? My one powder keg was used as a trap for the bunch of ghouls in the south-east of Tacarigua. It takes a shot, yes.

You could shoot the pirate out of jail too? Fantastic :)

I tried the pirate cannon on that temple by their den and nothing seemed to happen. Did I mis-aim?
You missed, hehe. Retry it. That tomb opposite to pirate den entrance is definetly openable with cannonfire but I'm still not sure if powder keg or bombs will help on others that you can't shoot with a cannon (couldn't try it yet, job and etc :(). Too bad you can't carry a cannon with you... :D

Let me just say that I can now confirm that the method I wrote about above (using the "pommes" mode and the "goto cryh" command) works and you can obtain Butch's doll if you run into the same bug as me. (Another guy on a Polish forum also got it.)

I did it

Just finished the game, haven't played Risen 1, just Gothic 4 but… all in all…. not impressed.
Spent 35h (ingame) on Medium did it all (TI and Air temple from DLC) I even got laid.
Slut alert: Did someone ask about *cough* the *cough* librarian *cough* anyone??
The only reason i didn't play on hard was to get over with. Mara sucked that s no secret after i got healing i became god among men/Titan Lords nothing could scratch me. Found all legendary (Honestly it wasn't all that hard) i had only 1 quest unfinished the Gargoyles Infestations 5/6 and i left it at that and went after Mara raped her and left it at that.
I was Voodoo so I had Steelbeard with me so with 3 people in party it gets OP very fast i am not sure i got all the companions I think i did, tho the ones that mattered were Bones(for the healing) Jafar(Fuck yes!) Patty (she likes me what can i do lol).
When i had more trouble with "The Big Eater" (he ate my primary weapon) and i had to reload and get on a cliff and shoot his brains out compared with Mara(on hard Difficulty too) I didn't even use one fucking single pot that was pathetic.
6/10 and that was generous of me, started OK became crappy.

Yes we all had the librarian, but also some of us didn't have Patty in the party to stop us doing the same thing elsewhere.
"The Big Eater" can be solved "peacefully" in just a few seconds instead of searching the cliff it cannot jump on. It's actually the easiest mob to kill in the whole game, you can kill it without any skill/ability. ;)
But ok, you obviously love shooting and you can shoot your way out wherever you want. Risen2 is just one of those rare games where you have so many options to try instead of rushing to finish it as fast as possible and all you need is your imagination.

Last edited:
Yes we all had the librarian, but also some of us didn't have Patty in the party to stop us doing the same thing elsewhere.

Can you elaborate on that? I'm getting the feeling I missed something…

The only "librarian" I remember was the in the High Council building in Caldera, but I didn't see an opportunity to do anything special there. I assume the "elsewhere" you mention is the whore in front of Alvarez's house.

Use spoiler tags if necessary.

Can you elaborate on that? I'm getting the feeling I missed something…

The only "librarian" I remember was the in the High Council building in Caldera, but I didn't see an opportunity to do anything special there. I assume the "elsewhere" you mention is the whore in front of Alvarez's house.

Use spoiler tags if necessary.
With high enough silver tongue, you can get down the dirty with the librarian. You need to pass all her conversation checks + come back to her after finishing up in the council building if I recall correctly.

Hmm.. it must be buggy then, because I did use Silver Tongue, and I didn't get any additional dialogue options.

*Edit* I reloaded an old save and tried it again... still couldn't do it. Silver Tongue just gets me the same response as the other choices.

I suspect that option is broken if you previously spoke to her while controlling Mauregato with voodoo.

Last edited:
Hmm.. it must be buggy then, because I did use Silver Tongue, and I didn't get any additional dialogue options.

*Edit* I reloaded an old save and tried it again… still couldn't do it. Silver Tongue just gets me the same response as the other choices.

I suspect that option is broken if you previously spoke to her while controlling Mauregato with voodoo.
This is highly possible as I did it definetly BEFORE I used voodoo doll. I'll add it into nonperformance bugs section.

I figured it out..

Not sure if it qualifies as a bug, but I can confirm that you have to enter the high council building as a fake messenger to have that dialogue option. If you choose to just use voodoo and not help Azuro, you will not have that option with Cassandra.

That one certainly bugged me.
I tried a bomb, powder kegs and explored the main structure + the statues and such around with Garcia´s artifact and nothing worked.
It´s there probably just for the ambience´s sake.

Question:

There's a point early in the game where you get asked about your eye patch. I think it was on Tacarigua, but it might even be when you're still on Caldera. I remember there were three dialogue choices you could respond with where the hero gives some type of explanation about what happened to his eye.

Does anyone remember where that conversation takes place, and who it was with?

Does anyone remember where that conversation takes place, and who it was with?
I´m quite sure one dialogue where the ocular gets mentioned took place in Caldera prologue and it was with the guard at the gate to the city.

Last edited:
Despite some of the issues with this game I'm really really enjoying it. The pirate theme is very refreshing after playing Skyrim and FNV the past 6 months.

Back
Top Bottom