RPGWatch Side Quest: 2006 - 2007 Overview, Part 1

Good writing -

I would add (like Arma) the PC-release of Geneforge 4 for 2007 - the best ongoing crpg series by Jeff Vogel.

What ever happened to that game?

Several people here actually have copies of the beta version which is very much like Wiz 7, Lands of Lore1, EoB, etc!! However, I'm the only person here who has finished it-twice!! :)

@Corwin- yeah, but you played an earlier build before the last test so you had some clues how to proceed.

@magerette- your "production passion" model overlooks a critical factor- the chain between artist/creator and enduser is too long. Most projects are works of passion for the creator and perhaps even the next link in the chain (usually some sort of financial backer), but by the time you go thru production and distribution it's just another SKU in WalMart's inventory system. This is the only advantage I see to indie projects; the creator often markets directly to the enduser resulting in a greater transfer of the passion of creation. I know some part of my passion for Wiz8 comes from the board contact I/fans had with Brenda and Charles. Same for some of the bands I get enthused about.

@Dhruin- excellent article as always. Looking forward to part 2.

It was nice to see a mention of Witcher, but what about Darkfall Online? www.darkfallonline.com Although an online game it's unique for the genre in that it doesn't suck balls. Give it some coverage.

For me, 2006 was the best RPG year in a very long time. I only enjoyed Gothic 3 and NWN2 greatly, but two games in one year is more than I'm used to - 2004, 05, etc were all way behind 2006 in my opinion. In fact, those two games are the best games that's been released since Gothic 2, and before that, Gothic 1. Also, I don't agree that NWN2 is not as good as NWN1 - the gameplay and OC is, by far, better than NWN1. Just the fact that you now can control the henchmen instead of watching them go on one suicidal attack after the other is enough to make NWN2 a better game. In fact, the only thing saving NWN1 was player made modules and HoU.

Good points Maylander, I tend to agree, that having several rpg's to play in one year was great!!

So how good was 2006 compared to 2002? That year had Gothic (1 or 2, depending on where you live), Arx Fatalis, DivDiv, Morrowind and NWN as surprisingly the weakest of them out of the box.

Gothic 1 was in 2001, and Gothic 2 was in 2003 in Europe(English versions). Both those years were good for me, because games like Arcanum(2001) and KotOR(2003) also got released those years. I'd say '01, '03 and '06 were the best RPG years for me personally, ever since the "golden era"(1998 for example had games like BG2, MM6, Fallout 2 etc).

Back
Top Bottom