Divinity 2 Enjoying DKS despite a few issues…

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
I finally started a real playthrough of DKS. Been playing since yesterday, and I'm currently level 7 and finishing up some random quests in Broken Valley.

A very good experience so far, but there are a few things that keep it from being great. I won't go into the gameplay related aspects, as those are subjective, but I'm also experiencing a few technical issues.

First, while the game runs great (most of the time), I'm getting major stuttering during the FMV cutscenes, and the audio constantly cuts out during those scenes. It's not a huge deal since the cutscenes are so infrequent, but it's annoying nonetheless.

Second, I've noticed that some of the NPCs are slightly transparent. It's not overly distracting, but sometimes I'll notice during a conversation that I can actually see through the person I'm talking to.

Finally, although the game runs fine most of the time, sometimes the mouse/camera will suddenly become very laggy, and the only way to fix it is to exit from the game and reload. I'm guessing this is due to a memory leak.

Despite those issues, I'm enjoying it a lot. There are a few (imo) gameplay flaws that keep it from being on the same level as something like Gothic, but I think it's going to be a worthwhile timesink for me.

What system do you have and which version of Directx ?

Windows 7 64 Bit
Phenom II 965
Geforce GTX 470
4GB RAM
Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi

All drivers and Direct X files are current.

Thanks DeepO, unfortunately that didn't seem to have any effect.

Also, is there really no way to drop items in this game? Will I at least come across someplace where I can store things?

You can destroy items in your inventory and you get a chest you can store stuff in when you get your tower on Sentinel Island.

Thanks DeepO, unfortunately that didn't seem to have any effect.

Hm, check out the FAQ here then, maybe there´s something useful (point 27 might be).
I had some transparency issues too actually, but for me updating my at that time rather hopelessly old drivers solved it.

Last edited:
Gameplay question: How exactly does Dual-Wielding work?

I noticed that my weapon damage stat actually decreases when I equip a second sword. Is that stat multiplied x2 for dual wield?

Also…

The "Feast or Famine" quest that you can accept after collecting some Goblin hearts for Richard. He wants me to steal the food that is meant for Rivertown so he can give it to Aleroth instead. Well I'm not sure if I want to do that, and also not sure what kind of consequences it has later on, so I decline the offer.

So then he gets mad and storms off to the farm, and now I have to choose to either side with him and kill the guards, or side with the guards and kill him, neither of which I want to do. The guy seems like a dick, but I also get the impression that he's supposed to be one of the good guys.

Is there a clearly better outcome one way or the other? Also, does it actually have consequences for either of those places later?

Last edited:
I didn't use dual wielding so I wouldn't know.

As to your question, there are 3 options:
Solution A
Steps:
- Talk to Richard after completing the ‘Hearttaker’ quest.
- Richard will ask you to remove the Seekers from Jackson’s barn, accept the 'Feast or Famine' quest.
- Exit the village and follow the path to Jackson's farm.
- Talk to Lomax, the Seeker guarding the food.
- Tell him that you insist they hand over the food.
- Lomax is angry. Fight and defeat the guards.
- Loot the bodies of the Seekers.
- Find Mouse on the other side of the river and talk to him. Finish dialogue with Mouse (tell him the food can be taken).
- Mouse will tell you he’ll take care of the rest.
- Run to Broken Valley Village and talk to Richard to claim your reward.
- You have completed ‘Feast or Famine’ quest.

Effects
- Seekers turn aggressive after you confront them.
- Richard will be happy with you.
- You get to loot the bodies of the Seekers if you defeat them.
- Richard rewards you.

Solution B
Steps:
- Richard will ask you to remove the Seekers from Jackson’s barn, accept the 'Feast or Famine' quest.
- Finish the dialogue with Lomax by choosing to bribe the Seekers.
- They will leave to go to the tavern after taking the bribe.
- Find Mouse on the other side of the river and talk to him. Finish dialogue with Mouse (tell him the food can be taken).
- Run to Broken Valley Village and talk to Richard and claim your reward.
- Go into the tavern.
- Talk to Lomax and the Seekers in the tavern.

Effects
- You lose money.
- Richard rewards you.

Solution C
Steps:
- Mind read Lomax.
- You find out that one of the seekers has a crush on a female New Order officer who’s patrolling Broken Valley Village.
- Finish the dialogue with Lomax by choosing to tell him about Elizabeth.
- Seekers agree to bribe and run off to Broken Valley Village.
- Run to Broken Valley Village and talk to Richard and claim your reward.
- Go to Elisabeth in the village, Lomax and the Seekers are present near her.
- Talk to Lomax and Elizabeth.

Effects
- Elizabeth will be annoyed with Lomax.
- You complete the quest without violence or losing money.
- Lomax, who’s in love, will follow Elizabeth across the village and his two companions will stand in the tavern and make fun of him.
- Richard rewards you.

I took option C.

Thanks for those details, Myrthos. I'm curious though…

Does completing that quest actually have any consequences to Rivertown or Aleroth later in the game? Since they're both suffering from famines, and you make the choice of who gets the food.

There is a 4th option
you can kill Richard and this nets the best treasure of all the options. Also, Richard might be ripping you off for all the goblin hearts, if you didn't mind read him before turning in the first heart. If so, he deserves to die. He's also a complete ass to everyone he meets or meats :)
There are no consequences regarding the famine.

I played DKS to about half way (I am dragon now) and then stopped.

It doesn't really have any real C&C, which is shame however it still offers number of different ways to do the quests.

The only consequences are that you can not do some other side quests, but other side quests open for you. Resulting in that you simply cannot do all of the quests.

I'm doing DKS on the Xbox 360 and like before on the PC I have some issues getting myself motivated enough to continue playing in the Orobas Fjords. it is less fun than Broken Valley is.

Divinity 2 is a great RPG. I love how it doesn't hold your hand, i.e. no quest markers, no magical compass, etc. Great stuff. I also like how things are hidden and you have to search every nook and cranny to find everything. I respect the developers for going a more hardcore route.
I'm also a big fan of the design of the game systems, such as loot, advancement, combat abilities, etc. It just feels like a very solid RPG. Like others though, once I got to be a dragon I quit. I just got bored with it. Still a great game though.

I have some issues getting myself motivated enough to continue playing in the Orobas Fjords. it is less fun than Broken Valley is.

Yeah I just wanted another couple Broken Valley's. I was really enjoying myself one moment and then... wasn't.

I more than got my money's worth out of it though, and I haven't even started the expansion yet.

Divinity 2 is a great RPG. I love how it doesn't hold your hand, i.e. no quest markers, no magical compass, etc. Great stuff. I also like how things are hidden and you have to search every nook and cranny to find everything. I respect the developers for going a more hardcore route.

Absolutely agree. I just reached level 12, and I'm really loving this game. It's hard to believe it was made with the Gamebryo engine. It just looks and feels so much better than other games I've played that used Gamebryo. (i.e. Oblivion, Fallout 3). At max settings, this is one of the best looking crpgs I've ever played. Close to The Witcher 2 in terms of visual "wow".

I'm also a big fan of the design of the game systems, such as loot, advancement, combat abilities, etc.

I have to admit, the loot system is one of the few things I don't like about DKS. It's just too randomized for my taste. I don't mind random loot for normal enemies and chests, but I think they went too far in making it random even for locked chests and bosses.

Also, who was in charge of naming these weapons? Hey look, I just found a Magical Light Brutal Iron Sword of Destruction. ;)

As far as naming is concerned let's not forget the sword that is named "Myrthos" :)

Absolutely agree. I just reached level 12, and I'm really loving this game. It's hard to believe it was made with the Gamebryo engine. It just looks and feels so much better than other games I've played that used Gamebryo. (i.e. Oblivion, Fallout 3). At max settings, this is one of the best looking crpgs I've ever played. Close to The Witcher 2 in terms of visual "wow".

I have to admit, the loot system is one of the few things I don't like about DKS. It's just too randomized for my taste. I don't mind random loot for normal enemies and chests, but I think they went too far in making it random even for locked chests and bosses.

Also, who was in charge of naming these weapons? Hey look, I just found a Magical Light Brutal Iron Sword of Destruction. ;)

Yeah, I really liked the art style too. Places like Lovis Tower and Maxos Temple were amazing to look at. The music was also great and fit each scene perfectly. Then you had no level scaling, no respawning, and you had to actually put in a little effort to figure things out. The game even has some really cool puzzle and platforming elements. Divinity 2 is just loaded with great ideas.

I somewhat agree about the loot system. I too prefer more hand-made, hand-placed loot in RPGs, but overall I liked most of what I found in Divinity 2. I liked how it looked on your character, I liked finding Legendaries, and I liked how stacked with buffs the armor and weapons were. It was also fun tinkering with the gems and charms. Once you hit the next play area the loot really ramps up and you come across some great pieces.

If I had to pick one area I thought could use some improvement, it would be the Warrior's combat abilities. I generally didn't find any of them too useful, but then again I didn't try them. They just didn't sound useful to my character. However, there were plenty of other cool abilities to invest in that were well worth it, so it somewhat made up for that.

Overall though, it's an underrated gem of an RPG.

I'm doing DKS on the Xbox 360 and like before on the PC I have some issues getting myself motivated enough to continue playing in the Orobas Fjords. it is less fun than Broken Valley is.

The Orobas Fjords are tedious. I like the fact that you have to search every nook and cranny of the map, but literally landing on every piece of land that in some way resembled a ledge or a small area to stand on was tedious. Then trying to remember every small ledge you landed on was just painful. And if you didn't do that you missed out on stuff.

Last edited:
If I had to pick one area I thought could use some improvement, it would be the Warrior's combat abilities. I generally didn't find any of them too useful, but then again I didn't try them. They just didn't sound useful to my character. However, there were plenty of other cool abilities to invest in that were well worth it, so it somewhat made up for that.

Yeah, I'm playing as a dual-wielding warrior, but I agree the warrior's selection leaves something to be desired. Other than Jump Attack, which is actually over-powered imo, I'm not impressed with that skill tree so far.

I also agree with the claims that archery is over-powered in this game. They really should have nerfed it in one of the patches. It's bad enough that you have unlimited ammo, but the fact that you can basically fire arrows as fast as you can click your mouse almost amounts to being an exploit.

Back
Top Bottom