Wasteland 2 - Ask Me Anything @ Reddit

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Brian Fargo and Chris Avellone participated in an AMA (Ask Me Anything) for Reddit as promised. I don't think there are any huge revelations but it's definitely an interesting read for anyone following Wasteland 2 (or Obsidian, for that matter).
Hit the link above to read the full, original format but NMA has done a good job editing the Wasteland 2 material down to something more readable (but note questions posed to Chris that fall outside WL2 have not been included!).
A snip on Wasteland 2:
locust64: Brian and Chris, How linear are you thinking this game will be? And how to you think the re-play value will be? -Also, if the game is deep and long enough (and i have faith it will be) Have you considered a strategy guide?

CFA: Linearity can suck my balls. Wasteland 1 let you go anywhere and suffer the consequences - or reap the rewards.

In open-world tradition, we'd like the player character and party composition along with your choices and path through the environment cause a lot of ripples and consequences - that's what makes a gameplay experience.

Strat guide - I believe that fans (and places like Game Banshee) do a much quicker job of delivering all the facts in an easily-searchable internet format. Most strat guides feel out of date within days (ex: Ausir's Vault for Fallout is more comprehensive than anything I can imagine, and it can update rapidly with new info that strat guides have a delay on).
...and a bit on Obsidian's potential Kickstarter from the full format:
ZedCodex: Avellone! What game would you like to make with your own kickstarter project? There were talks about a "spiritual successor" to PS:T?
ChrisAvellone: That'd be my top one, yes. I have a spiritual successor idea in mind from a mini-Planescape campaign I did long ago that I'd love to turn into a game.
Thanks also to Jhwisner for the reminder.
There's also a new concept art on the Kickstarter page - the Scorpitron 2.0.
More information.

I think I'm going to up my pledge just because of that statement.

How are you supposed to read that thing?

Well I just read the posts by MCA and BF by clicking on their names to view just their posts. Or you could read the highlights on NMA.

Come on people, support this game! :help: I just pledged $50…
Only 2 days left in the Kickstarter drive.

If you don't remember Wasteland… it was Fallout 0.

For those who griped that Fallout 3 sold out to the 3D FPS crowd,
here's your chance to support the game you'd hoped Fallout 3 would be, an overhead tactical turn-based rpg.

I was thrilled to hear that Chris Avellone, Planescape: Torment's lead designer, signed on to the Wasteland 2 team. That was enough to get my pledge.

I also plan to pledge the same for Project Fedora, the next Tex Murphy game, when the Kickstarter campaign starts on May 15.
http://www.bigfinishgames.com/games/project-fedora

Now if only we could use Kickstarter to get Wizardry IX off the ground.

Last edited:
I also plan to pledge the same for Project Fedora, the next Tex Murphy game, when the Kickstarter campaign starts on May 15.
http://www.bigfinishgames.com/games/project-fedora

Ah I remember that game - it was kind of the Venture Brothers/Archer for all those pulp-mystery detective shows and books. Actually, I'd love to see the studio behind Archer do a Tex Murphy game (animated or FMV)...

ZedCodex: Avellone! What game would you like to make with your own kickstarter project? There were talks about a "spiritual successor" to PS:T?
ChrisAvellone: That'd be my top one, yes. I have a spiritual successor idea in mind from a mini-Planescape campaign I did long ago that I'd love to turn into a game.

Damn tease... When are they gonna come out with it already! :brood:

All the people's monies are going to other projects in the interim ;)
(I kept my pledges to Wasteland and Shadowrun at a modest 30$ in anticipation
of Dead State and Obsidian's rumored Kickstarter, but where is it ?)

The way I read Avellone's comments in the RPS interview, their teams are all tied up, so they won't do a Kickstarter until they have free staff. Not sure how long but I don't think their Kickstarter is around the corner.

Blast it :-/ Yeah I was afraid of that when I read in another newsbit that those not tied up in the southpark thing were preparing to pitch a previously dropped project (xbox ?)

I was hopping though that they were at least on the design proposal phase or something (what, CA needs to sleep? nonsense)…

I am a bit concerned that they'll miss the current hot climate if they don't jump on the bandwagon soon… of course if they manage to actually put "Planescape" on the title I am sure the people will come :)

I am a bit concerned that they'll miss the current hot climate if they don't jump on the bandwagon soon…

On the other hand there are also legitimate worries about 'Kickstarter fatigue'. They might be better off waiting a bit until the potential audience from which they'd be drawing backers isn't all tapped out.

On the other hand there are also legitimate worries about 'Kickstarter fatigue'. They might be better off waiting a bit until the potential audience from which they'd be drawing backers isn't all tapped out.
Yeah I can totally vouch for this - my limited funds I can devote to this stuff is already spread too thin, after so many interesting Kickstarters popping up lately (CRPGs and table-top RPG stuff).

I won't mind if Obsidian wait a little while.

Back
Top Bottom