GOG - Rogue Legacy Released

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
GOG has a new game available called Rogue Legacy for $14.99.

Rogue Legacy is a genealogical rogue-"LITE" where anyone can be a hero. Each time you die, your child will succeed you. Every child is unique. One child might be color blind, or they might have Tourette's. They could even be a dwarf.

That's OK because no one's perfect, and you don't have to be to win this game. But you do have to be pretty darn good because this game is HARD. Fortunately, every time you die, all of the gold you've collected can be used to upgrade your manor, giving your next child a step up in life and another chance at vanquishing evil.
More information.

Yeah, this game is pretty much crack. I got it last night, and I've already sunk 5-ish hours into it. I have a feeling I'll stop playing (at least for a while) after I beat it, but I'm certainly enjoyed the time I stick into it.

I really love this wave of new pseudo-retro games. I feel like they're really taking it to the next level. For example, RL has tight controls, good (semi-randomized) level design, cool enemies, and a few innovations. It plays like Symphony of the Night by way of Rogue. They could maybe have more unique enemy types, and, assuming I'm correct, I feel like a few more bosses or minibosses would be great. However, otherwise, it's quite good. It hits all the right notes.

Yeah I'm enjoying this game a lot. I'm sure a lot of people here wouldn't like it, but it hits the right notes for me as well.

For me, my only little criticism is that it would be nice if you found items in the castle that effected your current run more often. Every once in awhile you get a blessing or a stat bump, but for the most part your characters power is set at the beginning of the run and never improves. But you die quickly enough that this isn't a huge deal.

Do the various handicaps have specific gameplay effects?

Yep, some are major and some are very minor. They aren't all handicaps either, some are quite helpful. Sometimes half the fun is figuring out what they all do. There are a couple that appear purely cosmetic, though I could be wrong.

Do the various handicaps have specific gameplay effects?

I put in quite the session today, which is saying something because I have hardly played any games lately due to limited time and disinterest in the ones I have started. I can give some impressions for those on the fence about it.

First, it's a fun game. Second, it's challenging, and you will die A LOT. You are able to upgrade your subsequent characters after each death with the gold that your previous character made. These upgrades come in the form of character stat boosts (and new character types being unlocked) and items. You won't get to save up gold through multiple runs for upgrades because the game forces you to pay a gatekeeper of sorts every time you enter the castle for a new run. This is both a good and bad element. It keeps the game's challenge up, but it can also be frustrating playing with a character you know is going to be awful for your play style multiple times in a row without having anything to show for it after you die (not acquiring enough gold to make purchase improvements). Part of my problem was probably playing with a keyboard and getting used to the key configuration. The game definitely feels more suitable to a gamepad, but I loaned my 360 and its controllers out a while back.

Anyway, it will take many, many trips through the castle and the other area types to get powerful enough to keep up with the boss battles and to ultimately finish the game, so it certainly seems there are dozens of hours of gameplay to be had. For some it might feel repetitive, but the dungeons are randomized unless you opt to have it stay the same by taking a gold penalty. I did get a Ghosts and Goblins feel a bit, and was also reminded of Terraria in a couple ways as well...though Rogue Legacy doesn't have mining or crafting or anything like that. Check it out. I say it is worth the price tag for sure, though the value isn't probably quite as much as Terraria (though few games can say they truly are in my opinion).

Back
Top Bottom