Totalbiscuit plays Neverwinter - nice preview

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom
Original Sin Donor
TB plays some NW, fun and information ensues.

I like: It's not just lock-on and hit the hotkey over and over, it's more dynamic positional/gotta hit the enemy style combat.

Companions, nice. Ive always been a MMo 'hunter' or 'warlock' summoner/pet style player, i like having my little ai pets. Everyone gets one, not just a specific class gets pets

those magical words: solo-friendly

Last edited:
To be honest, looks pretty generic. I especially dislike the lack of available skills... 5 is it?

I didn't view the entire video - are there puzzles as in DDO? With so few hotkeys, how are the many spells of a D&D wizard handled? Are they sticking to a low magic setting or are they going crazy and bloated with 40 strength scores as DDO has done?

To be honest, looks pretty generic. I especially dislike the lack of available skills… 5 is it?

Actually, it's more like 1 skill per class and use consumable for the other ones if you wish to use them. I hate how these work (and I think a lots of people do too). The good news is that the Foundry missions can do skill checks.

I didn't view the entire video - are there puzzles as in DDO?

I encountered 3 small puzzles while doing the main quest at low levels. People can probably do lots more with the Foundry though. And the Foundry is going to be the main part of this game. I did one small campaign by an alpha player and it felt like a small module for NWN.

With so few hotkeys, how are the many spells of a D&D wizard handled?

In 4e, all classes have powers (spells/prayers are powers) with different usage frequency: daily (once per 8 hours or 3-5 encounters per the books), encounters (once per encounters) and at-will (at any time).

In NW(O), the daily have an action point meter that fill up at about the rate of full after 3-5 encounters. The per encounter have cooldowns of a about 12 seconds (I saw a few higher). At-will are the left/right mouse buttons and have no cooldown. So a Wizard could have 6 spells, but selection from the encounter pool (3), at-will (2) and daily (2, but can only use one at a time because it drain the action-points). Each class also have a 2 special "ability" as well. One drain stamina and is to avoid damage (dodging basically, although the Guardian Fighter have shield use). The other is more of a "power boost" for a time that you gain at level 10. Cleric have Channel Divinity, it change the behavior of your abilities. Rogue have stealth, which increase attacks damage. I didn't bring my Guardian Fighter to 10 to find what was his "tab" ability.

Are they sticking to a low magic setting or are they going crazy and bloated with 40 strength scores as DDO has done?

The game is in Neverwinter, Forgotten Realms 4e D&D (so not low magic), but it's different from DDO as well. 4e is quite different from 3.5e, more streamlined. Currently, using level up stat point and a base score of 20 (18+ 2 for racial) you can get a single stat to 27. This is on the 5 level stat points you get and there are two case of +1 to every stats as well (from what I've gathered these are in 4e D&D). No idea about items stat bonus, but up to level 20 I haven't seen anything special.

I didn't bring my Guardian Fighter to 10 to find what was his "tab" ability.

Marking your target for extra damage

As much as I like TotalBiscuit, this beta game video is the best I've seen so far of the game. Informative, educational and extremely well narrated.

The game really gives off a Kingdoms of Amalur vibe to me for some reason! I've signed up for a founders pack ($60 not $200 - am not COMPLETELY nuts!) and look forward to participate in the next beta event (March 8th)

As much as I like TotalBiscuit, this beta game video is the best I've seen so far of the game. Informative, educational and extremely well narrated.
Good stuff - yeah that video was a bit more informative than Totalbiscuit's, thanks for posting. The game looks great - I'm definitely giving it a shot when it launches.

Back
Top Bottom