Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition AMA @ Reddit

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The folks from Overhaul Games participated in a Reddit AMA, despite being Obama'd. Some eight or so Overhaul developers answered questions and here's a snip from Trent Oster:
I'm really hoping to break 500,000 copies across all platforms. It is a great game at a low price. I'll speculate with those numbers we could persuade the parties involved to do a BG3
Regardless of sales we are doing a BG2:EE. We've committed to it contractually. It might be three of us working out of a cardboard box, but we're committed to making it happen.
I think what makes this version better is the performance and graphical improvements, the new UI, the new content, the new music and VO. I think the inclusion of many mod fixes into the base product give a much better starting platform as well. I also think putting some mods on BG:EE will probably be the best experience you can have.
As well, our goal is to continue development to further support modders and the end users access to mods.

More information.

It is a great game at a low price.
A low price? Sure. GoG is selling games that old for five dollars.

UI

And they still haven't shown anything from the "improved" UI

Ill probably end up buying it but so far its a lot of talk and little to impress, esp. since i have it from GoG already for a fraction of the price and never had any trouble with TuTu.

Personally, I want to see REAL improvements, not some schmuck characters that I wont use.

I stopped my play through this winter because of BG:EE so I really hope they will deliver ;-)

C

500k to get a BG3? Hmm, maybe I should buy a few hundred copies myself!

"I'm really hoping to break 500,000 copies across all platforms. It is a great game at a low price. I'll speculate with those numbers we could persuade the parties involved to do a BG3"

I'll speculate that you're not going to sell a half million copies of a 10-year old game, simply by adding a few new characters and some other bling. Nonetheless, I certainly hope you were jesting that it would take those numbers to justify a BG3.

I loved BG1/2, and I'd actually preorder BG3. But I won't be buying this enhanced nonesense. When I see terms like "enhanced" or "reloaded" in game titles, I throw up a little in my mouth. Fool me once...

I'll speculate that you're not going to sell a half million copies of a 10-year old game, simply by adding a few new characters and some other bling.

Final Fantasy was the best selling ipad game for some time, they made $3 million in just a week selling that old game.. I can definitely see this game getting big on iPAD, perhaps not Final Fantasy big, but not far from it. Will be interesting to see..

That's an argument not to buy it.

Why? BG3 has never been about continuing the Baahlspawn story, but a new story in the same setting, and presumably with the enhanced infinity engine. If you liked BG, why would you not want them to do a BG3?

Final Fantasy was the best selling ipad game for some time, they made $3 million in just a week selling that old game.. I can definitely see this game getting big on iPAD, perhaps not Final Fantasy big, but not far from it. Will be interesting to see..

If it gets those numbers, it will almost definitely be due to iPad sales (maybe Surface too if they optimize it for that as well). I'm ok with that.

When I see terms like "enhanced" or "reloaded" in game titles, I throw up a little in my mouth. Fool me once…

You are talking about which game....?

I hope it does well. Not because I want a BG3, but because I want to see IWD 1-2 and PS:T get enhanced versions also.

I'd love to see these guys do a new infinity engine game, but I think bg3 would be a bad idea, I mean where do you go from being a lvl 40 god/demigod, maybe the should try making a entirely new D&D series, I think the would have the money/fanbase/rep for it if bg:EE and bg2:EE works out.

I'd love to see these guys do a new infinity engine game, but I think bg3 would be a bad idea, I mean where do you go from being a lvl 40 god/demigod, maybe the should try making a entirely new D&D series, I think the would have the money/fanbase/rep for it if bg:EE and bg2:EE works out.

Baldur's Gate 3 was never going to be about continuing the story. It was a new arc in the same time period. So yes it could be done but should it is the question.

I hope they do since D&D pc games seem to be a dying breed. One F2P mmo and a new one coming out soon.

I'll speculate that you're not going to sell a half million copies of a 10-year old game, simply by adding a few new characters and some other bling.
I think the iOS version could be the feature that brings that numbers. In comparison: Broken Sword Director's Cut was downloaded five million times in the last 12 months for iOS! And that game was released on nearly every plattform you can imagine.

I hope it does well. Not because I want a BG3, but because I want to see IWD 1-2 and PS:T get enhanced versions also.
I'm not so sure, if I like that idea. Thinking of some Ex-BioWareians laying their hands on one of Black Isles's jewels makes me nervous. BioWare always had a different approach to cRPGs. I imagine adding some new stuff to PsT would be quite difficult. Or do you really want some new companions? A new love interest? Or a new battle arena? Everything else would be quite some amount of work to live up to the narrative quality of the original game.

I'm not so sure, if I like that idea. Thinking of some Ex-BioWareians laying their hands on one of Black Isles's jewels makes me nervous. BioWare always had a different approach to cRPGs. I imagine adding some new stuff to PsT would be quite difficult. Or do you really want some new companions? A new love interest? Or a new battle arena? Everything else would be quite some amount of work to live up to the narrative quality of the original game.

I'd simply like to see those games released with the additional resolutions and UI tweaks. For PS:T, I definitely wouldn't want to see them add any new content to the game.

I'd go for EE editions of IWD1 & 2 and Ps:T. If possible, I'd love to see them make joinable companions in the IWD's. I enjoyed IWD1 with my own party, but I felt the story was pretty blah. Same with IWD2. I couldn't even get through it until I added the joinable NPC mod.

As for a new game, I think it almost has to be BG3, just for the name recognition. Let's face it, as much as we love it, the technology is dated, so getting new players isn't going to be the easiest, but if you leverage the BG name, it makes an instant connection with anyone that has ever played the originals.

And like has been said, it wouldn't be lvl40+ characters, it would be a new game. Heck, it could even be interesting if they really wanted to continue the story to make it something like you've been stripped of your powers and have to start over.

BTW, if you haven't checked out the forums at baldursgate.com, especially the Baldur's Gate meme thread, you are missing out. I laughed at the thread for a solid hour.

Have they said anything about an Android version?

Ahhh, theres the website. TBA for Android.

I can think of a few…

There's a new god out there, but he lacks followers and needs heroes to spread the word and carry out h[er|is] goals, at least surreptitiously. Maybe he is relegated to become the lesser city god[dess] of Baldur's Gate and take an interest in the affairs there? Besides, there's bound to be other deities out to squash a new rival and absorb h[er|is] divine power. Perhaps Imoen has a child who acquires some odd powers and is destined to become the divine avatar… perhaps.

How about this one: in order for the new deity to become a significant player in the pantheon, and not just a servant of other deities, he must acquire a sustainable portfolio to attract followers. However, to do this successfully and avoid having other deities vying for the power, the deity must maintain secrecy about h[er|is] goals. (The portfolio could be something relevant, such as a theme of transformation, rebirth, or reformation. Maybe alchemy?) This is where the hero comes in: he is selected to pursue this goal, which is kept secret but slowly revealed through divine visions. The character then adventures to gain an influence over the portfolio with the populace. As power is gained, the influence of the deity rises and provides the player with additional support. A cast of loyal followers is recruited through valorous (or wicked) deeds, a temple is paid for and built, rivals are battled with, and so forth.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom