The Bard's Tale - iOS Release with Original Now Available

Confirmed. Easy to access and works great!

Anyone have thoughts or opinions about this game? The game itself, not the iOS port. Thanks.

I reviewed it back then for GamerDad (now defunct). Here are a couple of snips:

The problem with doing a combined parody / homage in a game is that you must still make the player go through that which you are parodying. That, to me, is the Bard's Tale's greatest weakness.

My summary would be - if you are looking for a serious role playing experience, look elsewhere; if you are looking for some light fun, Bard's Tale might be for you; and if you have $30 to spend on a game ... find a better game. I'd give the combat and RPG aspects 2.5 stars, the humor and pacing 4 stars, and the overall game 3.5 stars.

Overall I think it is a solid enough game, but definitely not great.

Anyone have thoughts or opinions about this game? The game itself, not the iOS port. Thanks.

Humor great, game play meh . . .

example on game play - you go through a dungeon with maybe 5 levels. After you beat all the monsters and the boss monster, you have to retrace your steps through the dungeon 5 levels with all those re spawning monsters. Just a tedious tedious game. I put in about 20 hours. The humor kept me playing but I never even got close to finishing the game.

Txa, there is some confusion me thinks. The request for info is for the ORIGINAL Bard's Tale. NOT the most recent(6-7 years ago?) parody.

Sorry - the confusion was mine ...

Yeah - I played these (I & III at least) back in the day, not long after they came out. VERY tedious & a lot of grinding.

More detail than I can give on it (since its been 25 years or so for me) is from the CRPG Addict blog:

Bard's Tale

Bard's Tale III

I was very happy to see this released and also when i learned about that II and III is comming out. Bards Tale, the original was unplayable with the simcga command used in my old 80286 computer (Hercules graphic) and i had to wait until i got me a EGA card and EGA screen 2 years later to play it.

I showed my spouse the IOS version saturday and she looked at me and asked me how i could have thought that was fun that many years ago ...

But i must say playing it on the ipad wasn't to pad... :) The "bad" thing is that i have to start Bards tale the parody first to start Bards tale the original.

I love that they release the original version and i will be waiting for II and III! Eagerly (Didn't play number III at all)

Bard's Tale is really tedious because you HAVE to map it by hand. Maybe there are maps available on-line now, though.

99.99% of the game boils down to this:
Move a step
Possible combat
Move a step
Possible combat

It's not really a ding against it because that is what cRPGs were back then.

Back
Top Bottom