BioWare - Muzyka Discusses Life after EA @ Gamasutra

As for gamers wanting less text in a game

Something that seems to me is that ...

- I think rather lovers of action games want less text

- they are louder then all other groups (mainly tose pro text)

- could this mean that the action game player are *overall* more aggressive ? Because they voice their opinions out so lout, so frequent and so demanding ?

This is a thought I just had.

Plus, could it be that the RPG genre is tried to be shaped by them mostly after their visions ? Do companies rather listen to *them* then to anyone else ?

If you look at the dialogue in say Mass Effect, the dialogue and conversations in this game will easily be 100,000 of words or maybe much much more. In Mass Effect, the text in the dialogue is just hidden untill you switch on the subtitles in the game. Then you will see the dialogue as text.

I don't know if people playing say Halo want less text than any other gamers out there. I do know that many people playing rpgs (not necessarily present company)
want as much text as possible in an rpg. I don't. At least - not necessarily. If much text in a game fits into the game world then yes, it should be in the game; it it doesn't, then it shouldn't be in the game.

Mass Effect is meant to have a cinematic dialogue system. This system does not require much text to be on screen, but it seems to be require a subtitling option so that anyone who wants to can read the game's text.

Back
Top Bottom