What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

I finally got around to seeing Oblivion yesterday.

I liked it quite a bit, and I can finally say that I've seen a movie from 2013 that didn't disappoint me. Expectations might play a factor, as I wasn't expecting much, but I still have to say that I'm a bit surprised I haven't heard or seen more people talking about this film.

I think it's also worth mentioning that I'm definitely not a fan of Tom Cruise. To be honest, I've never really liked the guy at all, and the same goes for most of his films. I'd have to go all the way back to Interview with a Vampire for the last Cruise movie that I really liked prior to this one.

Good movie - if you're a fan of sci-fi at all, you need to see it. Try to avoid any spoilers prior to watching it though.

I finally got around to seeing Oblivion yesterday.

I liked it quite a bit, and I can finally say that I've seen a movie from 2013 that didn't disappoint me. Expectations might play a factor, as I wasn't expecting much, but I still have to say that I'm a bit surprised I haven't heard or seen more people talking about this film.

I think it's also worth mentioning that I'm definitely not a fan of Tom Cruise. To be honest, I've never really liked the guy at all, and the same goes for most of his films. I'd have to go all the way back to Interview with a Vampire for the last Cruise movie that I really liked prior to this one.

Good movie - if you're a fan of sci-fi at all, you need to see it. Try to avoid any spoilers prior to watching it though.

I liked it as well.

As for Cruise, have you seen Tropic Thunder?

Oh, or Collateral?

Cruise is superb in both, imo.

As for Cruise, have you seen Tropic Thunder?

Yeah, it had its moments. Like many, I didn't even realize that was him until the end of the movie. I should probably watch it again.

I don't think I've ever watched Collateral all the way through. It didn't grab me at all, and the cast is one of the reasons why. I'm still a fan of Michael Mann though, and I think Heat is one of the best crime dramas I've ever seen.

Yeah, it had its moments. Like many, I didn't even realize that was him until the end of the movie. I should probably watch that again.

I don't think I've ever watched Collateral all the way through. It didn't grab me at all, and the cast is one of the reasons why. I'm still a fan of Michael Mann though. I thought Heat was one of the best crime dramas I've ever seen.

I thought Jamie Foxx was miscast - but Cruise was a real surprise.

I do like Cruise in general (as an actor, certainly) and I think he does a good job in all his films - it's just that most of his films don't appeal to me.

Then again, I was hooked instantly on Collateral - as I tend to be when it comes to well acted character-driven pieces, which I think it mostly was.

Michael Mann has made some fantastic films, definitely. Last of the Mohicans and Heat both rank very high on my personal favorites list. I'm also one of those weird people who thinks that Manhunter is an excellent film.

I've never seen Manhunter, but you led me to Google it. I might have to check it out sometime. :)

I think it's better than Red Dragon, but I guess that's not too hard.

Ok, it's got a bit of an 80s vibe - but other than that, I think it's a very good thriller with fantastic acting by everyone involved.

Red Dragon was actually pretty good as a popcorn film. ;)

Manhunter has more edges ... and an 80s vibe. It's a bit hit or miss. Interesting film though.

Red Dragon was actually pretty good as a popcorn film. ;)

Manhunter has more edges … and an 80s vibe. It's a bit hit or miss. Interesting film though.

I agree it's a bit quirky - but I largely prefer William Petersen to Ed Norton in the main role. Norton was truly miscast in RD - and I normally like his acting.

Yes, Norton was miscast - and he still made something out of it, because he's a very good actor. Petersen was a better fit.

Red Dawn (2012)
A failure on every level. Bad acting, probably due to the terrible script, no supense, not much action. Nothing good to say about it. A clear F.

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone
The story is the typical "aging [enter profession here] is no longer in demand and needs to re-invent himself on a professional and personal level". So no surprises there. The great ensemble pulls it off though. It looks as if Carrell, Carrey, Buscemi, Arkin, Gandolfini and to a certain degree (more serious role) also Olivia Wilde were happy to be unrestricted by the need for "realistic" acting. The show acts and the dialog scenes around them are spectacular, funny and full of humor and satire. The vanilla drama parts are kept to a minimum.
B

Despicable Me
This is a slighly too long animation film with a superb first 20 minutes. The 'Minions' are so cute! 1/3rd is great, 1/3rd solid filler material and 1/3rd good but not always consequent enough. It was meant to be harmless comedy … but so harmless? I guess that makes it a B. Especially the beginning is definitely worth watching though.

Last edited:
Kick Ass 2 - not as bad as reviews painted it. If Jim Carrey had been replaced with Ellen Page it would've been en even better movie.

Watched Stoker at the weekend. Big fan of Park Chan-Wook's films, and this is up there with his best.

Script (by Wentworth Miller weirdly enough) is great. Matthew Goode is excellent in it and the score is fantastic.

Iron Man 3
Pretty good popcorn flick. The best thing about it are the end credits though. B-.

Dead Man Down
Pretty solid revenge thriller in the mafia milieu. Good actors (Noomi Rapace, Colin Farrell, Terrence Howard), slight art house touch, Danish director. Not much action but a couple of interesting scenes. Worth watching. C+.

Star Trek Into Darkness

4/10

Very pretty, VERY stupid.

I still loathe Abrams with all of my heart.

Star Trek Into Darkness

4/10

Very pretty, VERY stupid.

I still loathe Abrams with all of my heart.

I tried to walk out of that film 3 times, but the other half wouldn't let me. The first one wasn't terrible. They made it seperate from the original series, and that was a smart move. But the half-assed fan service, the lazy story-telling and the fact the Kirk's story was basically the same as in the first one, angered me end.

The one thing I will say was Cumberbatch was excellent. He acted rings around everyone in it.

I don't hate Abrams, Some projects he's involved in, I enjoy. But this was awful.

(and I was really disappointed to see people are still drinking Budweiser 300 years from now).

Butbutbut... You can't do the Harry Caray voice about an ice-cold Heineken.

Back
Top Bottom