InXile Entertainment - Working with Bethesda?

woges

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Blue's News points out that Brian Fargo hints, at Duck & Cover, at a possible coupling with Bethesda and it does sound like it's a new Wastelands game. Although that hint is as old as 2007.
Brian Fargo and InXile Entertainment might, in fact, be developing a game for Bethesda. Last time DAC spoke with Fargo, he informed us that he was working on a sequel to Wasteland, saying: "I am indeed looking into bringing back the game that spawned the Fallout series. Stay tuned...." 21 June 2007
Also note:
It is unknown at this time whether or not Fargo was being serious or just making a joke. Attempts were made to contact both inXile and Bethesda, but no response has been made as of yet.
More information.

Geez this just sounds crazy. My hope was if they made a another Wasteland game it would be a hardcore RPG utilitizing the great skill system of the original game.

I know im dreaming though and we will get a next gen FP Action RPG. We really need more of those dont we.

Seems like InXile has been in business for a long time now and havent produced anything interesting. The Bard's Tale game irritated me being a fan of the originals.

That said Im still excited about the idea of a return to Wasteland, one of my top 5 all time games.

Not a snowflake's chance in hell Bethesda is doing both Wasteland and Fallout. I wouldn't hold my breath that inXile can get anyone else interested in Wasteland, either - and with the recent cancelation of Hei$t, I doubt they can run with it themselves.

Wasteland was an innovative game for its time (it's still on my HD with all my other Dosbox favourites), but really, what does it have to offer in a remake that we haven't already got available via the FO franchise? There are some games worth remaking, but this isn't one of them anymore; all everyone would say is: "It's not as good as FO", etc, etc.

hmnmm interresting but yea FO fans would eat this up and shit it out in a month or two

The quote you have in the news story is the one from 2007. The relevant quote from yesterday is this bit:

After some investigating, DAC has discovered that Fargo is currently still on his press tour of Europe, leaving for Paris this morning. When asked what he is promoting on the tour, he responded:

"My Chippendales calendar ;) actually our game that we are doing for Bethesda that has been under wraps for a couple years." 18 Feb 2010

I initially considered that it might be the cancelled Hei$t game…but we already know about it - it hasn't been under wraps for couple of years. Since Fargo already said in 2007 that they were going to work on Wasteland 2, I don't see them having the funding to do anything else. I admit, it seems highly improbably that Bethesda would back a Wasteland game in addition to Fallout (not to mention RAGE), but unless Fargo was joking what else can it be?

Wasteland was an innovative game for its time (it's still on my HD with all my other Dosbox favourites), but really, what does it have to offer in a remake that we haven't already got available via the FO franchise? There are some games worth remaking, but this isn't one of them anymore; all everyone would say is: "It's not as good as FO", etc, etc.

If I remember correctly, Wasteland was a multi-character game, while Fallout was a single character (mainly) game. That alone makes them quite different in my eyes, and if they are indeed working on a 'Wasteland Reborn', I hope they keep that aspect of the game, otherwise as you say, it's the same thing.

If InXile is working with Bethesda on a new Wasteland game then it will likely be a far different game then Fallout 3 since that wouldn't work in Bethesda's favor.

Its been awhile since I've heard anything from Brian Fargo(founder of Interplay). I never played Wasteland, to be honest, but I did hear a friend say that they enjoyed it and considered it one of the old greats.
I did play another of Fargo's games, Stonekeep(despite it being kind of buggy and dated looking in 1995, I enjoyed playing it). I still wish that they'd been able to complete Stonekeep 2(they spent around 6 years of development on it before it was cancelled, and I can't help wondering if the French company Titus, which bought Interplay, gave the order to cancel Stonekeep 2, because Stonekeep was cancelled around the same time that Titus took control ), because I think the Stonekeep series was intended to be Fargo's pride and joy, the way the Ultima series was Richard Garriott's pride and joy. Well, at least until EA took over Origin and started messing up his company and his games and caused his final single player Ultima game to be a big disappointment due to cutting too much content and changing the design too much, against Garriott's wishes. There was an issue of one of the big gaming magazine, PC Gamer I believe, I think back in 1996, that had a very interesting preview for Ultima IX, where Garriott spoke of things such as the ability to play a female avatar(which had been cut from Ultima 8)and other interesting features that were later cut from the game. I've searched all over(and will continue to search until I find it), but cannot find that magazine issue that contains that early preview of the Ultima IX which mentioned all the interesting stuff Ultima IX was to contain, that later was cut from the game(I believe it was the first time a gaming magazine had been given preview information on Ultima IX).
In conclusion, I can't help be sad that Fargo failed to create a long-lasting franchise out of Stonekeep with many good sequels. Then again, if Fargo is successful in reviving Wasteland, maybe there is a chance someday that he will be successful in reviving Stonekeep too(this time, with the right talented people working on the game who can get the job done well, in a timely fashion, with enough funds to ensure its release and success).

Back
Top Bottom