The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

My fingers hurt just watching that, abbaon. Mike, make sure you give that clip a watch--you should be able to appreciate the talent.

Never underestimate the power of a great groove ... which is why I have James Brown on my iPod :)

Nice one, bkrueger. No good reason to say goodbye to the good stuff. :)

Last edited:
The Postal Service - Such Great Heights

I've listened to the first 1.5 verses so often, because it was in the first planets and stars in scale video I saw.

I am thinking it's a sign
that the freckles in our eyes are mirror images
and when we kiss they're perfectly aligned
And I have to speculate
that God himself did make
us into corresponding shapes
like puzzle pieces from the clay

A little instrumental love... And an insanely nice guy, to boot.

"Every Unrequited" by Raymond Scott Woolson

I really have been listening to this a lot--Jaz and her Fishmaster vid got me hooked on that amazing female voice I was hearing, so while waiting for my best of Nightwish CD, I've been playing this solo effort I stumbled across--can't get it out of my head!
(Really strange video though--somebody should have kept the liquid chrome eyeshadow away from her...)

I Walk Alone

I love using the 'shuffle songs' option on the iPod during my commute because I just never know what will come next ... and occasionally something like this happens:
- Rainbow Connection - Kermit the Frog
- Cat's in the Cradle - Harry Chapin
- What a Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong

... if you are not feeling sappy and sentimental by the end of that group of songs, I don't know what to say ;)

I really have been listening to this a lot--Jaz and her Fishmaster vid got me hooked on that amazing female voice I was hearing, so while waiting for my best of Nightwish CD, I've been playing this solo effort I stumbled across--can't get it out of my head!
(Really strange video though--somebody should have kept the liquid chrome eyeshadow away from her...)

I Walk Alone

...But I'm kinda digging her as a fiery red-hed. ;)
Good song. Is this after her and Nightwish split the sheets? If this is off a solo album I may have to get it.

There are some good songs on the best of CD. Sleeping Sun and Deep Silent Complete are my two favorites. Also, you may want to pick up Nightwish's "Once" album - the last EP with Tarja singing. It's a very solid album with a 10 minute epic "Ghost Love Score." - Not available on the best of CD.

...But I'm kinda digging her as a fiery red-hed. ;)
Good song. Is this after her and Nightwish split the sheets? If this is off a solo album I may have to get it.
I think it may be about the sheet-splitting and yes-from her first solo album I gather, My Winter Storm

Thanks for the Metal advice--I listened to Damnation from Opeth, also--next on my list when the budget allows. :)

magerette's gone goth! Can you even buy black fingernail polish in OK? ;)

Now, follow this chain, if you will. The inner workings of a warped mind...
I Walk Alone video -> Tarja's Ave Maria video -> Andain's Ave Maria song ->
"Beautiful Things" by Andain

@ dte: I really like that song! Where do I get it?

...and yes, I believe you can get black fingernail polish in OK year-round, but probabaly worth stocking up around halloween ;) . - We have our fair share of Goths running around, although I'd say "Redneck" and "EMO" are our more common strains....

@ Magerette: Damnation is a must-have. Opeth is so versatile to release something mellow and melodic compared to their usual frenzies. I personally hear Pink Floyd'ish influences on that album, in particular the PF album "The Division Bell."

It's actually a little hard to find, Jabber. AFAIK, it's only available as a single with half a dozen remixes. I don't think they've got any proper cds. Looks like all their songs other than that one have come out on trance collections. You can hear all of them that I know of on the various MySpace pages for the band. When I was working in Fort Worth, they had a radio station that played house and trance type music. Most of it was "meh" for me, but that one really caught my ear due to Mavie's vocals. Looks like Amazon has it in stock (I wasn't that lucky when I was buying).
http://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Thi...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1201743860&sr=8-1

Do you have to go to Christie's Toy Box for that black polish? ;)

I find you can get much the same affect with Welch's grape juice, always available and works for the hair, also. :)

I liked that cut as well, dte--nice voice.

@Jabberwocky: you forgot to tell him about our main Goth form--Goth Brooks. (Please don't hurt me.....)

Last edited:
Goth Brooks? Off with 'er 'ead!

I'll be looking forward to the picture of magerette in full goth gear (Jaz might be able to give you some pointers) with her purple hands.

196261946uDCYPJ_th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Since you asked...(the hands are covered with mummy wrap...)

hmm... don't know if it was courtesy of Christie's Toy Box or Welch's, but there was plenty 'o black nail polish wearers when Evanescence came through last year. I was probably the most normal looking person there, considering how big a fan I am! What a great show - Amy Lee was totally checking me out. At least that's my story... and I'm sticking to it!

@dte: Not ready to pay for the Beautiful Things single right now, as there are more pressing expenses, but thanks for the link.

@Magerette: I've heard worse jokes than "Goth Brooks."

Not many.

But a few. ;)

I'll be looking forward to the picture of magerette in full goth gear (Jaz might be able to give you some pointers) with her purple hands.
Nightwish? Evanescence? Opeth? Um, er...
...well, okay. Trying to help after all. Just take your pick, magerette:
http://www.blackwaterfall.com/viewall.php
...though with this musical selection, it's probably 15 for you.
By the way, I really liked your Troll pic :).

Definitely #5, Jaz. (At least if we don't count the music factor--then it would be more 15 except I doubt I really seriously qualify from listening to a few songs. ;) )Thanks for helping me define my new identity.

I was cheating a bit with the troll mummy pic--that's actually BETTER than I'd look in full goth array. ;)

btw--I'm rereading Wilkie Collins' gothic novel The Woman in White also atm, and the villainous husband who clapped away his first wife in a madhouse owns a dreary family estate called..Blackwater Park. Coincidence???

Last edited:
Which came first, the book or the album? Iirc Opeth claimed the Blackwater Park reference to a song from a previous band that influenced them. But it's quite possible that other band got the name from the book.

Hey, I followed the link for the "How goth are you?" quiz off of the linkie Jaz posted... my results said "definitely not goth." - So I guess I just like the music, I don't "walk the walk."

So I guess that would put me at #18, although #14 does describe my passion for swords.

Last edited:
Wilkie Collins died in 1889. He wrote the first popular mystery novel The Moonstone, and The Woman in White is considered the first sensational novel, or 'thriller', departing from the Gothic movement in literature only in having everything have a non-supernatural explanation.

So yes, the book came first--and the new Goths are building on a very valid and fascinating historic base,even if the title is a coincidence---end of lesson. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom