Grim Dawn - Interview @ RPS

Dhruin

SasqWatch
It's been a while since we've seen anything on Grim Dawn beyond some screens, so it's nice to see a full interview at Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Arthur Bruno provides some lengthy answers, so here's a partial snip on a very long rant about dumbing down and what Grim Dawn will do differently:
I love systems that are asymmetrical and chaotic, where the player can’t easily see the tell-tale structure and patterns of deliberate, organized human design. The real world isn’t always perfectly planned or sensible and I don’t think game worlds should be either, otherwise you see the hand of the developers everywhere you look and it erodes the magic of feeling like you are in a living and unpredictable world. Exploration of game systems is all about the discovery of what is possible. When there is too clear a structure and pattern to the design, not only does it feel artificial but the player is much more quickly able to assess the limits of the system. Unfortunately, most of the industry is moving away from this sort of design.
There has been a growing realization in the industry, propelled in previous years by Wii sales and more recently by the astronomical success of social games like FarmVille and smartphone games like Angry Birds, that the vast scale of the casual market makes it a veritable goldmine. Publishers and developers are increasingly looking to boost their sales by attracting more of the casual market and increase their revenue by getting this larger audience to make a lot of small purchases.
To court the casual audience, developers are simplifying game systems and minimizing the potential for inexperienced players to make bad choices. They’re reducing the amount of time it takes to finish games, adding a constant stream of visible rewards for increasingly simplified achievements, and allowing players to pay for success when the effort of achieving it through the game proves too challenging or time consuming. We’ve come a long way from my childhood, where failure in most games caused you to start completely over from the beginning, to a point where it is impossible to fail in many games and in some you can just pull out your credit card when you decide it is time to win.
The sad reality though, is that this isn’t some evil corporate executives have perpetrated upon humanity, it’s what people want. At least, some people. Well, as it stands, it appears to be quite a lot of people and that is why the industry and gaming is largely trending in this direction. This is all anathema to what I love about games and is much of the reason that I’ve forgone earning an income the past couple years and instead slave away, with a few other dedicated souls, to create a game that we hope will embody some of what we loved about the games of yesteryear.
While the casual market is certainly large, the hardcore gaming audience has also grown tremendously over recent years. As the heavyweights of the industry move to grab a piece of the massive casual market I think this creates an opportunity for a smaller company like us. I believe many in the more traditional, core gaming audience are starting to become frustrated with the changes they’re seeing to their most beloved games. They say you can’t please all of the people all of the time and I think this is certainly true. Our belief is that we can perhaps better please some of the people most of the time by catering Grim Dawn more closely to the desires of that traditional, core audience (and ourselves).
So yeah, what are we doing that is unique? Moving backwards some might say…
More information.

After hearing all the gaming news this week I have to say he is right. Apparently most of the customer base are fine with the direction of the gaming market.

I look forward to his game instead of Diablo 3. He has my money.

Last edited:
An interesting interview. I always enjoy these looks into what goes on behind the scenes at small developer studios.

Aye my plan is to skip D3 and go with GrimDawn this time around. Looks interesting and appreciated the article for many reasons.

I'll take this, D3, and probably Torchlight 2 as well ;)

Sounds good to me you can then tell me how good Diablo 3 is then.:) I wont miss it though.

Keep telling yourself that ;)

Ah the old you bitch but you will still buy it Cliche.:biggrin: I wont there are plenty of games I haven't played for various reasons and dont feel I'm missing out on anything.

Just ask Ubisoft how I never purchased any of there games.;)

just ask the unemployed video game maker as well...
thank god for karma

After hearing Blizzard's announcements about Diablo 3 this week and reading this interview, I decided to buy Grim Dawn instead of D3. I'm going to preorder that game. And I recommend to everyone who feels like me to preorder it in order to support the developer.

just ask the unemployed video game maker as well…
thank god for karma

Don't really care about the the unemployed video game maker. I'm not obligated to buy every game that comes out. They should blame themselves or there publisher for poor customer relations and service.;)

But as I said the game maker of Grim Dawn has my money. I am part of his targeted customer base. He doesn't bullshit with PR and tells it straight out how the game market is.

Looks and sounds good. Wonder what the release dat will be..
Seems worth my time :)

Back
Top Bottom