Gothic 3 The sleep spell

Zaleukos

Bum
At first I thought that this spell would make thievery a piece of cake, but after almost a year with the game I still dont know if this spell can be used efficiently. How do you avoid waking up the victim almost immediately?

I'm currently using it in Asarus cave, trying to get a certain water mage to move away from a standing stone tablet... Having NPCs block stone tablets, ore deposits, and bookshelves was a retarded design decision that doesnt add anything to the game IMHO.

so the fact that npc's use world items is a bad design decison? i will agree that it can be annoying at times though. but that's what makes figuring out how to get accesses to the item fun. but maybe i'm one of the few gamers that finds problems solving in games (or at work for that matter) fun. you could also summon a creature too to keep an npc occupied. the temple city in myrtana in particular was an extreme challenge in trying to thieve and keep all the shamans and guards from noticing your handiwork, escpecially with very little put into those skills.

Thieving is not an issue, and also an area where I enjoy coming up with ways of distracting the NPCs. My issue is with NPCs blocking standing stone tablets (couldnt two persons feasibly read this at the same time?), mineral resources, and bookshelves. I'd like to get what little backstory there is out of the bookshelves as I havent been able to access them all. I think a sensible solution would be to let friendly ("green") NPCs move aside when you want to access the items. It doesnt add gameplay value that I have to wait until after midnight to read a book or mine some gold in Geldern. In the older Gothics you could get the NPC to move aside when you wanted to perform such actions IIRC.

That's not correct -> In Gothic 2 you had to very quick to go to the bookshelve before Xardas started to read it. Otherwise you never could do that (unless with a sleep spell perhaps)

Hmm, I dont recall struggling to get to the bookshelves in G2, but its been a while since I played it:) Couldnt you "distract" an NPC just by talking to him, and then quickly rush to the bookshelf/forge/whatever?

Part of what bugs me in G3 is that the game flags the bookshelf or whatever item as occupied way before the animations on screen indicate that the item is in use. The discrepancy between visual presentation and in game state disturbs me.

Sleeping is in all a funny thing in the game. Stealing from the Geldern temple is trivial at night, since mainly named NPCs and vendors have their "natural" sleep interrupted by your non-sneaking presence. Have you seen any exceptions to that behaviour?

Back
Top Bottom