Lords of Xulima

I grabbed this last month on a friend's advice, but haven't tried it as of yet. I'm sure I'll dive in once it leaves early access status, haven't played anything in that category as of yet, and doubt that will ever change.

There is still a couple of bugs and lots of balancing to do. So for the "full experience" I would definitely recommend to wait till release.
As combat and efficiency play a big part in the game balancing in this game is more of an issue than in a completely story focused game.

That said the Game looks fantastic already and the Developers are grateful for any feedback, extremely responsive and if you have any suggestions / bug reports you should definitely post them to the steam forums.

I really want to play this, but I already spent on Avernum 1 (the re-remake of Exile 1) recently. If anyone has a spare key pm me, I can offer shit to trade on steam in return, including a couple of games I have but haven't activated.

Yep, I'm incredibly addicted to this game. It might be my game of the year if the early access is any indication. Last night I finally became powerful enough to take out the mushroom groups, though I have to run to the healer after each battle. There is immense satisfaction in coming back to kill something that was a party wipe a few levels earlier. I tried the big fella that blocks the nw passage out of the first town but he still womps us, though we can hurt him pretty good before we go down. Gotta get another level or two, or extremely lucky. I find having 2 mages makes the most difference in the game. Any game with one mage requires 2-3 more levels than a party with two. If you could protect 3 mages and still cover all the needed skills, then that'd be an unstoppable group. I wonder if the new summoner class will be worth giving up a mage....

Also, pulled this quote from the main Dev on the Steam forums:

Hi!

We will delay the launch until everything is polished and works perfectly. The small updates we release silently (0.13.5, 0.13.6,…) only have some minor bug fixes or small improvements commented in the forum. We only list the changes for the big updates.

If all goes well this is the schedule for next updates:

23-24 September
Next big update, the 0.14 version. It will include the new class: the Divine Summoner. And some new skills for current classes.

October, first week
Next big update will be the 0.16. It will have new content up to 80% of the game (all but the Titans chapter and the Temples of the Elemental Gods).

October, third week
0.18 Version: All content available except just the end (the final challenge and the 8 minutes long end cinematic). Also included, new voices for the main NPCs (princes, heralds, titans and witches). Surely, new languages available: French & German.

Official Launch (non Early Access) (November?)
It will include the End part and it will be available for MAC and Linux too.
Also it will be available the Artifact of Golot Edition and the Deluxe Editon of LoX.

Regards!

Kordanor, is there a physical copy of this available to the States? I'm gonna go look, but if you already know....

You can buy the phyical version over at the official site. Didn't see any country restriction there: http://www.lordsofxulima.com/store/

I already backed it via Kickstarter/Indie Gogo, so I didn't look into it very deeply.

I want the map. It looks just like the Might and Magic maps, which I love.

Yeah this game has definitely been a pleasant surprise for me. If someone described it to me I probably would've thought I wouldn't like it much.

Aside for some balancing issues between the various classes, which I know Numantian is still working on, my only complaints are that the visual puzzles are often more annoying than fun… and the NPCs (and Gaulen for that matter) tend to be very flat and devoid of personality.

I'm going to try holding off on playing it anymore until final release…but I might start a new game and play for a bit once the Divine Summoner is implemented.

I've installed it on my notebook and played for some hours during a train journey yesterday. I had tested it some weeks ago, and now as it's a little more polished and I know the mechanics better, I'm really having fun.
Didn't expect me to be able to still have fun with this old-school type games.

I'm inclined to brofist your post, Spoon, but I've already graduated elementary school :D

The quality and fun for the price and amount of content on this game is pretty sexy.

I picked this up the other day and enjoy it immensely. Very cleanly designed and executed. Cool character/skill/leveling system, good story and content, good presentation for the price level, game feels rock solid and clean with good UI, and it feels like your choices matter - not so much for impact on world since it's not really an open world game, but you have to make strategic choices.

I like the food mechanic, myself. I prevents you from fully resting incessantly to trivialize battles and gives the game a classic D&D style feel (you have limited resources and usually can only handle a few big battles before resting, or can push it with easier battles to stretch yourself).

I really like the combat system, which in some ways is typical of the team turn-based row-based combat but has a few wrinkles I haven't seen (probably just haven't played games that have them but still). The combat flows really well too.

Amount of repetitive content = not sexy.

Choices? What choices? There is only one choice in the tower of rage - to get the money or a few permaattributes. Everything else is doable now or later. This one, you pick a or b, can't go for both.

Mobs are usually 20xsame setup, a few somewhat different and one unique. For example venomous lake, it's 10 groups of rats. And rats. And just rats.
Dealing with them is trivial. Fire up Requiem and they all die.

Then again, I'm talking about mid game.
Early game is highly challenging and designed awsome. But once you kill your first witch, which means you're finished with the first quarter of the game, it becomes a grinding chore.
Till you kill your first titan, which marks the last quarter. Now this last part is absolutely fantastic. I don't expect many people to reach it however. I was just stubborn so I didn't ragequit. Others won't be so forgiving.

Back
Top Bottom