GOG Galaxy

I've already signed up. :)

A 5th game client to install...

:/

Great news. I like some features of Steam and wished that GOG had the same. Should be great!

I'm just happy that GOG is finally getting a client. I love some aspects of the Steam client, like the auto-updates, the easy installation process, keeping track of how much time you've played the game for, etc. So getting that with GOG games is really cool.

I can't wait to see what clever features they include.

Mixed feelings about this. I love Steam's ability to keep my game-library in 'the cloud', so that when I'm in a new or different machine, maybe out of town, I'm just a couple of clicks away from playing whatever game I want, and also to keep the games automatically up to date. But my GOG library consists of 95% old games that are not updated anymore so that part is not as beneficial right now.

Maybe GOG is pushing towards selling all games, not only older games, but I doubt publishers of recently released games will agree to not have DRM.

I guess I would run the client once in a while so it automatically updates whatever I have in the library, but not constantly up like I have Steam.

Mixed feelings about this. I love Steam's ability to keep my game-library in 'the cloud', so that when I'm in a new or different machine, maybe out of town, I'm just a couple of clicks away from playing whatever game I want, and also to keep the games automatically up to date. But my GOG library consists of 95% old games that are not updated anymore so that part is not as beneficial right now.

Maybe GOG is pushing towards selling all games, not only older games, but I doubt publishers of recently released games will agree to not have DRM.

I guess I would run the client once in a while so it automatically updates whatever I have in the library, but not constantly up like I have Steam.

It would be amazing if GOG included community mod updates in their client as well. So even though you mostly have a collection of old games, finding the latest unofficial patches and mods for those games would be much easier. That's wishful thinking at this point, but you never know.

There's actually a community drive to release the client under an open source licence (as well as documenting the protocol) which would easily allow for a plugin to do exactly that.

GOG has been pushing out newer titles, like the Witcher games and HOMMV, for some time. I personally send emails asking if games I'm interested in are coming to GoG, and telling them I won't be buying them if not.

I'm meh on the client thing. I really don't care. But maybe it'll help in some way.

There's actually a community drive to release the client under an open source licence (as well as documenting the protocol) which would easily allow for a plugin to do exactly that.

Well now I'm even more excited at the possibilities. I really can't wait to see what this amounts to.

So confusing why anyone would have a valid reason to bitch about this. It's no different than having to go to the website every time you want to download or update something except that it can automatically inform you of shit.

People that piss and moan about this kind of stuff just proves to me that no matter what you do, someone will bitch about it just because they can. No valid reason.

It's shit like that that ends up screwing up games. Developers get confused about what people want because there's always some d-bag that has to bitch about whatever they're doing. You could crap them a golden egg and they'd complain that it smells bad.

So confusing why anyone would have a valid reason to bitch about this. It's no different than having to go to the website every time you want to download or update something except that it can automatically inform you of shit.

People that piss and moan about this kind of stuff just proves to me that no matter what you do, someone will bitch about it just because they can. No valid reason.

It's shit like that that ends up screwing up games. Developers get confused about what people want because there's always some d-bag that has to bitch about whatever they're doing. You could crap them a golden egg and they'd complain that it smells bad.
I don't think anybody has bitched about it, most have said they like it or they're indifferent (like me). Except Thrasher who said 'Ugh' but, well, it's Thrasher :)

What are you guys signing up for? Galaxy? The only thing to sign up for on the Galaxy page on GOG is to join the queue for beta-testing the Witcher adventure game. I don't think that has anything to do with Galaxy...or does it?

If it lets us pick and choose versions, that would sure be nice. I still remember Steam updating my copy of Skyrim even though I had the option turned off. That's likely fixed by now but you still have to turn the option off before you open the client or it will start updating immediately.

Back
Top Bottom