Dropship - Coming Soon?

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Remember Dropship? Only a few, I would guess. We have one other newsbit about the indie space-y RPG project from ex-Troika-ite Michael McCarthy from 2006 and nothing since. I cruise by the site every few days and see the flash animation of a sofa - and nothing else.
Wandering past today I see the flash has been replaced by a static image and the title bar of "Coming soon" - but nothing else. Something is happening. Hopefully.
More information.

No kidding. Really happy to hear this one is still going.

I actually never heard of this one...shocking, since if it was trioka I'm super excited by it.

Well, not Troika per se but an artist who worked at Troika. It's an exciting prospect but it would be nice have more than a static website. I'm sure he's busy at Massive Black but even a "too busy, can't show anything yet" would be appreciated.

errr artist? arcanum was hit and miss for its art....toee was pretty good and so was vampire

You may also want to post about the Dropship cinematic at the Applied Cinematics' website. It's a company McCarthy worked at, a year ago they had a splash screen saying they were working on an UE3 game. Furthermore, over at ITS puppyonastik noticed that the spaceship in the clip is the same one McCarthy showed to RPGCodex.

I wonder if it's still turn-based, since it appears to be First-Person and as Resch said uses Unreal Engine 3.

That video doesn't mean it is actually a first person game since most early videos of a 3d game are in a first person view since it is simple to create. Also if a person tried they could put a turn based system in an engine like the Unreal 3 Engine so we have to wait and see how the game is going to be.

PS. I didn't remember this game but now that I know I am waiting for more info about it.

You think? I thought it was spot-on, artistically. The graphic technology was ordinary but the art was great.

I think we must learn to put an exact distinction between art and technology.

Mixing both is imho unfair to the artists themselves.

Besides, with the name of "Dropship", I must always think of "Homeworld" ...

errr artist? arcanum was hit and miss for its art....toee was pretty good and so was vampire

Seriously? Because some of the front-runners of today's gaming concept art worked at Troika. Massive Black, considered by many the best concept art studio in existence, employs several former Troikaites. Same for 3D artists, to some extent.

Besides, McCarthy was actually a programmer on Arcanum. He was the lead artist on ToEE, and did just a bit of artwork on Bloodlines.

He also worked on some of Fallout 2's cutscenes.

Last edited:
I never said I didn't like arcanum, I did....but it was definately behind in tech when it was released. And it did need a ton of patches to get good....don't get me wrong I loved the game...seeing trioka go was bad.

I guess what I really meant was the resolution and engine they used must have limited them. I'm one of the minority I think who enjoyed TOEE....

Back
Top Bottom