Gothic 1 doesn't play

D

Deleted User

Hey everyone.

Had a problem with a game that maybe some of you can help me with.

I'm running a Windows 7 Professional setup, 64-bit with 8 GB RAM, i7 processor and a Radeon 7970m video card.

Now that that's out of the way, here's the problem. I have installed Gothic 1 on my computer and it simply will not play. I run the game, nothing happens. I look in my task manager and it says Gothic is running, but again, nothing happens.

I had it working some time ago but I can't for the life of me remember how I got it functioning. Here's some things I tried.

Made an exception for Gothic.exe in my antivirus software
Made an exception for Gothic both in Windows Firewall and that thing UAC or DAC or whatever (the protection that pops up and asks if you give permission to save a file here, etc.)
Tried running as administrator
Tried running in Windows XP mode with "disable visual themes" and other options checked.
Tried the trick where you open the game twice and then use the task manager to end the rundll process (however, there is no rundll process that I can see. (??)
Tried reinstalling numerous times.

I'm pretty much out of ideas. Anything else that I'm overlooking on how to get this game working? It's the GOG version by the way.

Thanks in advance!

Just try to restart computer after installing Gothic and then run the game.

Also you can try this new Gothic ½ — SystemPack

http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1340357-Release-Gothic-½-—-SystemPack-(ENG-DEU)

Thanks for the tips!

I just reinstalled again and was going to restart and try that, but now it's magically working. Lol. Weird. So happy, though!

Quick question. What all should I download to bring the game more up to date and be more stable? Is there an unofficial patch I should grab as well as that System pack you linked?

Guess GOG version already has latest official patch included so all you need is System pack for Gothic 1 and player kit
Installation guide, version 1.0:

For "GOTHIC1: Classic"
1. Install game "GOTHIC1"
2. Install Gothic1_PlayerKit-1.08k.exe
3. Install G1Classic-SystemPack-1.0.exe
4. Play.

There is an unofficial patch by Ironkeep
but some say it can cause additional problems. I used it with my last playthrough (System pack was not available at that time).

There is also a texture pack for G1 but I never tried that one.

I've never heard of this SystemPack, but usually the unofficial patches / mod things for the Gothics are very stable. I would just install it as explained at WoG. The only thing I didn't see in the description is the frame rate unlocker for Gothic. I would try it without that first, though.

If you've never played Gothic, make sure to download JemyM's FAQ before you start. Bypasses the learning wall. ;)

Guess GOG version already has latest official patch included so all you need is System pack for Gothic 1 and player kit

There is an unofficial patch by Ironkeep
but some say it can cause additional problems. I used it with my last playthrough (System pack was not available at that time).

There is also a texture pack for G1 but I never tried that one.

Thanks!

I successfully installed the System Pack and it works great. Uncaps the framerate, allows for higher resolution, absolutely awesome! The game looks great now on my 32" LCD monitor. Can't wait to dive into this game. I've only played it once before for a few hours before being swamped with others games. It's about time I really give this a good playthrough.

Thanks again!

I've never heard of this SystemPack, but usually the unofficial patches / mod things for the Gothics are very stable. I would just install it as explained at WoG. The only thing I didn't see in the description is the frame rate unlocker for Gothic. I would try it without that first, though.

If you've never played Gothic, make sure to download JemyM's FAQ before you start. Bypasses the learning wall. ;)
You never heard of it as it is only few months old. ;) FPS unlocker is included so no need for a separate file installation.

The author may even include bug fixes in future releases of the SystemPack
Secondly, do you plan on including bug-fixes for the games in future releases?
You're talking about fixing bugs in a game: scripts, quests, etc?
In the future, it is quite possible, since this was earlier is scheduled. But when ready difficult to answer.

The only problem I have now is some drastic lag/FPS drop. Any ideas of how I can fix that? It drops down from 60 to 30 and less with some hitches when I look around.

What resolution are you playing at? 32" is a big screen... Does your game continue lagging or is it momentary, second-long drop as the game loads in new textures?

What resolution are you playing at? 32" is a big screen… Does your game continue lagging or is it momentary, second-long drop as the game loads in new textures?

Resolution is 1360x768 (I can't read smaller fonts in anything larger even on the 32" screen!)

The game lags for a few seconds every now and then and the framerate drops considerably. I noticed it got a little better when I decreased the view distance. Ideally I'd like to keep the view distance turned on max and I should be able to run it on those settings.

Also, if I look in a certain direction (say north, for example), the framerate drops to the 30s. If I turn in another direction it jumps back up to 60.

I also have an annoying issue with distant textures. They disappear if I'm looking at them only to reappear when I turn my view direction. So for example, a mountain won't appear in my direct line of sight, but if I turn my view to the left or right, the mountain draws in. Any ideas what could fix this?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom