Torchlight - Now Available, Demo on Steam

Dhruin

SasqWatch
I grabbed this and played for the last 5 or so hours, engaging game, plenty of little things to make it more than your average hack and slash. One example that I have enjoyed so far are the phantom hounds that spawn randomly. When they die a portal spawns to a small closed in dungeon area. These areas are teaming with enemies and you have to be VERY careful not to die. Dual leveling system is fun and helps keep the skill trees growing. Anyone with a little extra income this month should try it, demo on steam as the news bit states.

*Reread this and realized that dual leveling system might be misunderstood. I should have said Experience leveling and Fate leveling. You get fate experience from quests and Champion mobs. When you experience level you can adjust stats and skills, fate levels give you extra points for the skill tree. Sorry if anyone read that and thought I meant dual class.

Last edited:
Ok, that's it, I have to grab this as well. I might as well go totally broke this holiday season.

At first, I thought this was going to be just another FATE, but too many previews/reviews have said otherwise and now Melvil's recomendation has convinced me it's worth a shot. I mean what's 20 bucks in the long run?

Hmm…

Cute and competent game.

Very reasonable price.

Still, utterly derivative and I personally think the skills are incredibly dull and uninspired.

If you've forgotten what Diablo/Diablo 2 was like - then I guess it's a great reminder. But honestly, I really don't have much good to say since there's nothing about it that I haven't seen before a zillion times. The lack of multiplayer is inexcusable, really.

I know this is negative, and it shouldn't be - because as I said, it's VERY reasonably priced.

But even if it was free, I wouldn't bother. It's just not interesting enough.

Artwork really has a lot of character. Sounds are nice. It's not a game of immersion and real role-playing, but purely an entertainment piece. If you like the Diablo titles, you should be very interested in this. Controls are really well thought out (WoW-esque), everything flows smoothly and the game is very quick and responsive. This would be one title I'd probably actually prefer on a console. It's very "lite", but it's a lot of fun. At this price, after playing the demo, I decided to immediately pick it up.

It's not bad. Definitely has features from Fate and Diablo. Sorta a best of both worlds thing going on.

Anyone else think that the music is heavily inspired by Diablo? Not that is a bad thing, I'm just getting a heavy Diablo vibe when just listening to it.

You know that might have something to do with it indeed ;) It's nice actually, but I keep expecting to see Wirt.

Thanks for the link, Arhu. I didn't really become interested in this game until a few days ago. My first impressions when I heard about it was that it was going to be another Fate. I'm glad to say that impression was way off base. While it does remind me a lot of that game, this one is a little more complex in terms of skills and combat. Story is barely there, but I wasn't expecting anything other than your run-of-the-mill rpg plot line.

Back
Top Bottom