Woe is me! New AVG 8.0 totally blows!

Currently using PCCillin from Trend Micro. I thought it was great a year ago, but lately been having a lot of update errors. And I don't like how it refuses to share territory with Spybot.

Anything is better than Macafee, my god they screwed a lot of people over a couple years ago with an unsolicited beta download to random computers. Nearly crippled my system, and then offered no support.

surprisingly AVG is allowing the updates to go through, not sure for how long though.

Which virus scanner is decent for Vista?
I had to kill McAfee and the MS Office Demo yesterday. They came preinstalled on an Acer PC (3Core AMD, 4 GB, Radeon 3650) and managed to make the PC unbelievably slow. It´s really impossible to put into words how much they dragged the PCs performance down.

well I've decided to hold my nose and go with AVG 8. I don't like the fact that it has some bloat with a (probably) useless anti-spyware but its far more convenient than the adware I had to put up with. Its really not bad but spybot is so good, well supported, and non-commercial, there's little need for anything else.

I favour the scanner by G Data, but I don't know how fast or slow it actually is on Vista.

I'm still having Bitdefender, but my license runs out ...

Using Avira on my office laptop, It's quite light and fast, and so far the only annoying thing is the pop-up advert every times the program updating itself.

On the plus side Bitdefender has high detection rate when compared to other free anti virus software, but (yes, there's always the dreadful "but") it doesn't do realtime monitor or resident protection, no incoming email scan, and contain two processes that constantly running in the background.

While nothing has changed my mind on Symantec's Tech support it appears they have taken serious steps to improve the product. They are out to gain back lost market share and asking consumers to give them another chance.
Symantec wants another chance

My first thought; I've given you several already.
Then I read this:
Norton Internet Security 2009 – the “whoa!” rewrite

So I gave the Beta a shot. Okay I'm quite impressed. It's somewhat akin to the Enterprise Edition experience. I'm still not totally convinced afterall Beta is not final product and implementation. There is also no mention of initial or renewal pricing but I expect no reductions there. Now if they just improve Tech Support.

Try the 2009 Norton Internet Security Beta and/or Norton Antivirus Beta
Symantec Norton-beta

Ubbax
"Idealism is what precedes experience; cynicism is what follows." - David T. Wolf

truthfully, if Norton made a truly background silent product that just did it's job well, and left me alone otherwise - Id have no problem paying for it. I know they have the capability, maybe theyre seeing now there's a huge segment of people like me who want minimal involvement in our protection.

Even tho ive briefly used them on a new pc then quickly uninstalled to put on freeware, Ive had such bad experiences trying to pry other people's computers out of the grasp of both norton and mcaffee's total grip on their systems, it's just crazy. Ive had no desire at all to subject my system to a total takeover by any product. Do your job quietly, warn me when im surfing i trip over something bad. I'll update when i feel like it. Let me completely turn the product off fully, whenever I want. That's it, that's all that I want.

I'll give it a look, but I have to say that I doubt that theyre going to slim their product down enough for my liking.

i've heard that Norton's corporate version of the AV is quite well-behaved but never experienced 1st-hand.

Sunbelt Vipre is quite new and is already making headlines. it's being touted as anti-virus + anti-spyware product.
http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/

i've heard that Norton's corporate version of the AV is quite well-behaved but never experienced 1st-hand.

Sunbelt Vipre is quite new and is already making headlines. it's being touted as anti-virus + anti-spyware product.
http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/

Yes, you've heard correctly. I know several that have run Norton's Corporate version for years and they love it. None of the bloatware, etc. issues. It is like night and day between the Corporate Offering and the General Public product.

I myself stay away from Sunbelt products. Their firewall caused me nothing but headaches via BSODs. Even with five upgrades nothing changed. I finally had my minidumps read and every time is was a firewall driver. Even their tech support said they knew of this but told me -- in writing; I have the emails to prove it -- that they had no answer for this issue. But I digress... :biggrin:

Trying Avast! right now. Seems a little more system hogging than Trend Micro, but Trend apparently let in a few trojans that Avast! discovered. Years ago I had a major worm loose in my PC and downloaded Avast! just to try and figure out what was going on. It found the worm and cleaned up my PC perfectly. At the time I didn't know much about software though and concluded that "since it was free it must not be that good." Been buying Antivirus ever since, but this makes the second time a free version of Avast! has saved my butt.

I have Avast free on one PC and two laptops that use the internet constantly and so far it has done the job. I don't know how they can afford to do it because over 4 million people use the free version and it is updated at least once a day. Very pleased with the quality.

I may just have to buy a $ version in the future.

It is like night and day between the Corporate Offering and the General Public product.

Of course it is.

Coporate product -> big money, but also more losses if sued.

General public product -> little money, not worth proper support, cynically said.
But they'll all remain silent and not sue Symantec over whatever.

well, the time of reckoning is finally at hand... my little icon went grey for the last time the other day, losing it's little life and slipping into the netherworld forevermore. Maybe.

I mean "maybe" because it's now all coloful and full of life once again!

How is that so? Hasnt AVG finally made good on their threat to kill 7.5 for once and for all, forcing everyone to update to their new product, or jump ship for greener pastures?

Well yes, but i heard it thru the grapevine that you could use the binary files to update 7.5, just manually download them and apply them to the old version. It seems to work!

wow still using AVG 7.5?. I using AntiVir 9 for some time now. The new version run pretty fast on my system.

yeah, im resistant to change. I find something I like, and i'd rather just leave it alone if it does it's job, which it's always done. It does it's job quietly, does it well, and goes away when I tell it to. I guess that I'd be willing, hell I'd even pay, if I found a nice lightweight program that came w/ just antivirus- that's it. I dont want some overbloated "suite" of resource-chomping, intrusive programs taking over my pc a la mcaffee or norton or something.

I was working on a computer the other day, and she had eset's NOD32, and it seemed like an okay product, but I had my paws full w/ other things at the time so I couldnt really get a good evaluation in. I need to try a few different ones on my chewtoy pc and see which one i prefer, I'm guess this 7.5 working thing is maybe too good to be true.

Well, for the record I sure do like Comodo. You can give that a try.

i had made transition from AVG 7.x to Avira Free, which looks quite okay being light on the system resources and all. there is a small pop-up that appears on start-up 'recommending' the user to upgrade to the paid version but you can close that with one of the many automation software available.

Back
Top Bottom