What do you think of Original Sin on Early Access?

Do you play Original Sin - Early Access?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 19 17.1%
  • Thinking about it

Votes: 10 9.0%
  • No. Only on release

Votes: 62 55.9%
  • Never. Early access sucks

Votes: 13 11.7%
  • Not now, not on release

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • What's Original Sin?

Votes: 4 3.6%

• Total voters
True.
I mean... I do back projects and stuff, I do preorder games and although I have an option to betatest I simply don't want to do that. I support the game because I like the idea and patiently wait for the final release.
And now ppl would pay less for early access - and 99.99% of them would not betatest it but would just wait for the final release?

I know I'd be pissed off. Utterly!

That's a pretty silly idea - everyone would then just buy the early access version, whether they wanted to wait for release or not - not to mention that it would piss off everyone who supported the game on Kickstarter and…

To me the silly idea is to be ready to pay the same price :
- for an incomplete game, more or less full of bugs, that you're going to spend time to report, and generaly the time spent on it will be lost because your saves won't be compatible with the final version and you'll have to start again from scratch (and personnaly I don't like doing several times the same game... except games like Civilization that are really meant for)
- than for the final game, bug free and complete, that, therefore, you're really going to enjoy.

So, since both are at the same price, I prefer to wait the final version.

Well, you see, software development is expensive, risky and difficult, so some of us like to help support the developers in case they give up and do something easier, such as get a real job with Ubisoft. It's the same reason we sometimes sponsor someone who wants to walk from Lands End to John O'Groats without any legs.

For me its like kickstarter. I will buy it, maybe play it once. it is cheaper than the release version, and it helps the developers create a less commercial game.

I don't want to spoil my fun with an unfinished, buggy game. Especially if it is my most anticipated RPG in recent years.

Just wondering… I bought OS at a low tier (~20 bucks) via PayPal as soon as they offered that option. Anyway my purchase doesn't show up in my Larian Vault account. I guess that's because the only version of OS currently in the Vault is the CE but I'm not sure?

On the matter of Early Access: I've enjoyed playing around with it, but I'm not sure I'm happy about having seen the game in this state. Right now two things diminish my enjoyment of the game: lack of customization and dialogue Resolution.

Of course there are quite a few skills in the game, but... reason dictates you don't spend your points as if all skills were equal. For example, it's not much use to split your skill points between ranged and melee. If your character is geared towards close combat attribute wise, dumping those precious points into bow or crossbow would be somewhat inefficient, especially if you don't also raise the other important archery skill (Marksman). Likewise, giving your mage a sword and shuffling attribute points around accordingly doesn't seem like a wise choice ATM. So it's really pretty much clear wether you'll be an archer, wizard or tank from the start. From there, you won't have many choices to make - one handed or two handed and Man-At-Arms for tanks, bow or crossbow and Marksman for archers, spell schools for wizards. Specializing in any one school of magic is also right out, it's much better to have one point in several schools. Gone is the delicious pain of choice that I experienced in DivDiv. With just a few useful skills per character and four potential party members, chances are you'll have all bases covered on every playthrough.
Gone also is the concept of "background" traits that was touted in the Kickstarter updates (that one is on my mind just because I rewatched some old videos). Would have been pretty cool and would have made for more individual playthroughs. It has already been much commented on the fact that day/ night cycle and schedules were also cut.

While dialogues are well written, the Resolution really leaves something to be desired. Literally playing rocks and scissors isn't really a good idea; I don't think a lot of people like it when the outcome of dialogues is randomized.

Exploration is fun, exploration XP is questionable powergaming wise but should be fun for everyone else. Music is gorgeous of course.

Overall I'm really pumped for June 20 and here's to hoping that most things will receive some overhaul in the meantime. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom