Avadon - Windows Version Released

What's the word? Sibylline? Perhaps you can elaborate?

I will, in my review. Too much to chew on to type out as a forum post.

Myself I'm not 100% satisfied with the fights. But I'm not 100% satisfied of the fights in the whole Avernum series, at least those I played. In Avadon I quoted some clear JRPG influence there wasn't in Avernum if I remember well. Ie boss or mid boss fights with tricks, and a large part of the fight is to find the trick or tricks and then the fight becomes quite more easy.

Don't really agree there. Avernum 5 and 6 did that a lot too (I don't immediately remember about the others).

I don't know what you guys are talking about with DX and OGL. Which of these two screenshots do you prefer? To me it seems that DX (2nd) runs at lower color depth which means what should be smooth gradient transitions is banded and grainy instead (see the title screen with the clouds for example), and it's lacking various things (like the screenshots next to loading save points). So, unless you're having weird graphical issues you can't solve, then OGL should be what you use, and that's why it's the main download.
http://i.picpar.com/46a8e91f9d3afcf62fd22b69590a05493744a865.png
http://i.picpar.com/7007b83ed413d796da79f59d9334a5ba06546901.png

Last edited:
I will, in my review. Too much to chew on to type out as a forum post.
Well, not about the game, just the fights. Anyway I didn't like at all the too long and repetitive final fight, but I don't remember any other in the game like that, just an exception, alas a quite bad one, that waste the end of the game.

But other than that I don't remember fights was that much better in Avernum series. I feel Avadon get penalized about that because of the party of 3. But even a party of 4 is limiting and can't match a party of 6.

Don't really agree there. Avernum 5 and 6 did that a lot too (I don't immediately remember about the others).
Really? I don't remember that at all. There was the fights messages system to give the necessary clues about the special tricks in a fight?

If yes, it's weird I don't remember that! But possible that's sure. :)

I can't physically move a post, but my comments would seem to fit here better than in the thread I posted them in, so I copied and pasted :)

I own a ton of Spiderweb games, but I'm not Jeff's ideal player. I find most of his games rehash WAY too much story to be enjoyable. The fact that the graphics are over 20 years old is very annoying. Honestly, he has some of the worst graphics of all time. I've got Jeremy Soule playing in the background because Jeff isn't a big music guy.

That said, Avadon has been moderately enjoyable for me.

I like the fact that instead of having one huge sprawling world, that you're constantly moving across, instead there are several small regions that you'll visit multiple times.

I think I like the new skill system a little better too. Though there are less skills, you have to think about where to put your points because you won't come close to maxing out everything.

Companions actually have prejudices against certain countries within the Pact and taking certain companions on a particular mission can change your options. Sometimes a fight gets avoided or sometimes a peaceful situation can become a battle if you have the wrong party member.

I like the added enchant options, but so far the enchantments have been so weak as to not really make any difference. I'm hopeful latter stones will be more powerful.

I'm only through to where you resolve the Beast issue. I found the end of that quest to be quite disappointing. I wanted an option to choose sides there, and wasn't given one. My guess is that the enemy would have wiped me in one round, but I wanted the choice I'm not sure how big the demo was because if I invest more than an hour or two in the game, I just buy it. I was enjoying it enough to spend $25.

There is enough differences here for me to purchase Avadon. I just hope Jeff doesn't screw up the sequels. My hope is that he won't keep rehashing the same NPC's in the next incarnation. It WOULD be cool to do work for some of your companions in the next game, but I wouldn't reuse anyone else. Same with the cities. Rehash Avadon fortress but every other location should be totally new. I'd bump the party back up to four too. Three seems a little light.

I have finished the game, it's a great remembering to have play a RPG with many great parts, a lot of diversity, even if with an uneven quality.

But that remembering is clouded by the awfully boring final fight I didn't beat. You can choose different ending and skip it, but there's a logic to make this final choice. Alas it's a repetitive and very long fight, then no surprise it is very boring. I totally don't understand how the designer ended into this decision. It's even more strange because no other fight show such design choice, or perhaps one optional (a Demon).

It's logical to have a rude final fight but it wasn't necessary to have it last one hour and more, not to have it so repetitive. Very long fights require have different parts to bring some diversity. A final of a game is an important influence on how you'll remember the game, and that design is a totally strange choice.

Well great game anyway, uneven quality but many great parts, I won't detail. But it's really too bad there's this final fight badly designed.

Well great game anyway, uneven quality but many great parts, I won't detail. But it's really too bad there's this final fight badly designed.

The final fight - and options - are entirely intentional for reasons you should know by having played the game. Having been through both Mac & PC betas this has definitely been brought up and addressed.

That said, you are not alone in your assessment - and Vogel knows it is divisive.

I'm playing through Jenell's quest right now and I have Natalie. I will say the game should have decent replayability because of the various map/companion choices. I like the friction between the older shaman and the eager young mage. My Shadow dude gets to be the mediator. Why Jeffy couldn't afford to make male and female of all 4 classes boggles my mind. I'm male and if the graphics are horrible, I prefer playing males. If they're really good, then a hottie is okay too :D

Back
Top Bottom