Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Updates #1 & 2

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Warhorse Studios has two new updates for their funded kickstarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance. That's right the game was funded in just two days.

Update #1 - "Thank you!"
So we finally let the cat out of the bag and now everything is in your hands. So far it looks beyond-our-wildest-dreams-kind of good. We are very grateful for your support and for the amazing response we got! It’s a great feeling of satisfaction for all of us to read that watching our trailer gave you goose bumps or that this is the game you’ve been waiting for your whole life. We’ll do our best not to disappoint you!

We also try to reply to your emails as fast as we can and clarify all possible issues. And as we are happy enough to expect to reach our original goal soon, we also work on our stretch goals.

We are planning video updates about important gameplay elements. We want to show our character editor and how you can use it to customize your character. There will be more info about the combat system and you will see how it looks in the latest version of Cryengine. Then we want to show you how our world looks like and what its real-world counterparts are. And by the end of the campaign we have a big surprise planned. If you don’t want to miss anything, watch our Twitter, Facebook and YouTube channel.
Update #2 - "And this is it!"
And so it happens, just 36 hours into our Kickstarter campaign we have reached our goal!

That's really, absolutely, mind-blowingly thrilling. We cannot stress strongly enough how grateful we are to all of you. This resounding confirmation of what we've been working on for almost two years just makes everything worthwhile. We are happy — and privileged — to be working on this project and we want to make the best possible game we can, for you.

Now, with our goal reached, it's time for stretch goals and we shall announce the first one tomorrow. I would also like to make one thing clear: we have come to an understanding with our investor that every penny we make above the Kickstarter goal will stay with us and will go toward making Kingdom Come: Deliverance better.
Thank You to all bakers, and congratulations to Warhorse Studios. I wonder what those publishers think now. We showed were interested.
smiley-cool.gif

More information.

Well I for one baked it gladly ;)

I still do not understand how could publishers be so stupid and pass this up (I am extremely glad they did, don't get me wrong!).

Let's see.

Bakala (investor bilionaire) invested 1.5 million dollars so far. They are working on this for around 2 years at 25-30 people.
Development will take another 18-24 months, but with 30 some more people, for total of 60-70. So the total budget should be around 6-7 million. Let's round it up to 10 mill (including some marketing etc).
They will publish themselves on Steam/GOG (I assume)/ PSN/Xbone Live. Let's say the price will be 40 dollars, so they will get around 30 from each copy sold.
So if they sell…conservative estimate of 500,000 units (extremely conservative, considering that Skyrim sold 20 million, Witcher 1 PC only 2 million, and every other alpha like dayz or rust sells millions these days), only on digital they will make 15 million dollars. That is pure profit of 5 million.

And of course there is retail, which I fully assume will be handled by a publisher after all (after seeing the demand, they will gladly distribute the game when they do not have to finance it anymore) and will bring in some nice profit as well.

So bottom line, unless something horribad happens (Meteorite crashes in Prague, Vavra gets run over by a car, they fuck it somehow up..), Bakala will make epic profit, publishers will be sad, and Warhorse will establish themselves as selfpublished RPG studio.

This gets backed in two days, Deathfire can't get backed at all. Why??

This gets backed in two days, Deathfire can't get backed at all. Why??
Two things Mass Appeal and Gameplay Footage. As much as I wanted Deathfire to get funded not many people were interested in pledging.

No use crying over spilt milk. We can't change the past.:disappointed:

For those that have no clue what the idiom means here you go.
Idiom: It's no use crying over spilt milk

This idiom means that getting upset after something has gone wrong is pointless; it can't be changed so it should be accepted.

Last edited:
Two things CryEngine and Gameplay Footage. As much as I wanted Deathfire to get funded not many people were interested in pledging.

No use crying over split milk. We can't change the past.:disappointed:

Fixed…

It's also kind of an odd Kickstarter in that the money they're asking for isn't even close to the money they need to make this kind of game. Apparently, we're just supposed to prove to some unnamed rich guy somewhere out there that there's enough "interest" in the game, then at that point he'll hand over whatever amount of money they actually need.

It's also kind of an odd Kickstarter in that the money they're asking for isn't even close to the money they need to make this kind of game. Apparently, we're just supposed to prove to some unnamed rich guy somewhere out there that there's enough "interest" in the game, then at that point he'll hand over whatever amount of money they actually need.

Which sounds really flakey, IMHO.

"I would also like to make one thing clear: we have come to an understanding with our investor that every penny we make above the Kickstarter goal will stay with us and will go toward making Kingdom Come: Deliverance better."

So what exactly does this mean? That the 300,000 euro initial kickstarter goal is going to the investor?

I was actually wondering about that, too. Seemed like a rather strange thing to say.

I knew the naysayers would finally show up. What took you guys so long as I had four threads about this game posted already. Your late to the party.^^

"I would also like to make one thing clear: we have come to an understanding with our investor that every penny we make above the Kickstarter goal will stay with us and will go toward making Kingdom Come: Deliverance better."

So what exactly does this mean? That the 300,000 euro initial kickstarter goal is going to the investor?

Count me as another who found that a strange statement.

The only thing I could think of that it might mean is this:

Our rich friend, the mystery investor, had promised to give them some amount (let's say $10M) once they raised $500K. Now, if they end up raising $2M, would he only give them $8.5M instead? Nope, they're saying he'll still give them the full $10M.

I knew the naysayers would finally show up. What took you guys so long as I had four threads about this game posted already. Your late to the party.^^

Oh I am a backer of the game, it looks awesome so far. You don't find that statement strange?

No you haven't, actually. Unless you show me how to split milk, that is... ;)

Still, I believe Deathfire, too, had some in-game art to show, even if it couldn't be called gameplay footage. Still at least as much as Cradle, and Guido actually has a proven track record!

Oh I am a backer of the game, it looks awesome so far. You don't find that statement strange?
Even before that statement, though, I found it strange that they were asking people to give them half a million dollars or more to make a game that they can't make with that amount of money, based on promises of even more money, from some person or company who they refuse to name. And, unlike most Kickstarters, where the goal is to actually fund a project, our job here is not to fund the project, but to impress the unnamed person/company enough to where they will fund it.

Anyway, I also backed it for a decent amount as soon as it went up. It's still worth pointing out the weirdness of it all. I wouldn't necessarily call it Saying Nay.

From what I read all the extra money will be used with the investors investment. Even though it won't come close to what's raised it's not going to his pocket.

Anyway right now I'm just happy the game is getting made.^^

Last edited:
Even before that statement, though, I found it strange that they were asking people to give them half a million dollars or more to make a game that they can't make with that amount of money, based on promises of even more money, from some person or company who they refuse to name. And, unlike most Kickstarters, where the goal is to actually fund a project, our job here is not to fund the project, but to impress the unnamed person/company enough to where they will fund it.

It's not the first game to do this. Star Citizen original crowd funding goal was to impress some private investors, but they ended up not needing any of them in the end with the amount the raised (are raising).

Well, one reason this kickstarter succeeded where other good ideas/games have failed is that this was one of the best put together kickstarters I have seen.

The kickstarter page describes in detail everything you need to know about the game they are making. They have opinions but are not assholes about it. The video is one of the best KS videos I've seen. I mean compare this KS to the Cradle KS. Cradle's KS is horrible and will probably fail because of it. And this is from someone who insta-backed the Cradle KS.

As for this game, I'm waiting until the final few days before I back it because I hope once their KS breaks a million pounds they change the ridiculous requirements to get the digital version of acts 2 & 3 included. If that doesn't happen I'll just back the first boxed version. :)

Well I guess I called that one! Yup barely gonna reach $300K USD over the campaign. :cough:

Oh well I no problem being wrong since I am excited to see that they are going to make it, but 2015 is still a LONG way off. Plenty of time for my other games to come in before then.

Hell Cleve Blackmore might release another Mega-Super-Demo of Grimoire by then. ;)

I'm probably reading too much into it, it just came off as a weird thing to say out of the blue. Like going to a restaurant and just before you take your first bite the bus boy walks by and says "don't worry sir, no one spit in your food" the normal assumption is that no one spit in my food so why would he say that - when out of the blue it makes a person wonder more than it reassures.

Back
Top Bottom