BioWare - Dragon Age Tidbits and Design Philosophy @ IGN

magerette

Hedgewitch
In more Bioware news, IGN has posted an article discussing some points raised by Bioware's Dr. Ray Muzyka and Dr. Greg Zeschuk at the Games Developers Conference, where IGN spoke with them concerning several works in progress, including the long awaited Bioware IP RPG, Dragon Age:
"Dragon Age you can picture fitting back into the more core BioWare experience," said Zeschuk. "it's fun for us to get back to fantasy, there's a huge amount of passion for that." The game will take on a dark, brooding atmosphere, they say, yet remain a heroic experience. "We'll certainly have humor, but the world is a pretty heavy world. I don't think it's a direct social commentary, but there's a lot of strife…it feels very mature. It's not like a kids fantasy where there's dancing elves. It's for adults." They promised more information will start to roll out soon.
On their design philosophy:
The team is committed to the idea of games as art. "Why do you love movies that are great," asks Muzyka. "You laugh, you cry, you feel a chill down your spine, you feel like that's so cool, you just told me something about the universe. These are the things that games will do, and I think because you're actually playing them at the center of the experience instead of a passive observer watching it, you might get a more charged emotion out of it. I think games have the opportunity to be one of the most powerful forms of art."

Zeschuk chimed in with little pause in the conversation. "This whole concept of people controlling their destiny is awesome, right? It's the ultimate in fantasy fulfillment. Where's it going? Who knows? You still have to wonder, when you look at the Wii, is it a toy or is it really games? They're going a different direction. We're going for emotional engagement, they're going for entertainment.
More information.

Well, its good to hear a major developer say something like that. Lets hope it comes through in the game, and not for the last time, either.

Like that : "It's not like a kids fantasy where there's dancing elves. It's for adults." ?
Oh yes, it it !

I am SO looking forward towards this game! But that I was SO looking forward towards Oblivion..... Hopefully history will not repeat itself this time .....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom