Gurk for Android

T

Toff

It advertises itself as an 8-bit RPG.

Very much reminds me of Ultima 3 which was the first Ultima game I played.

Gurk is free. Gurk 2 is much better and only 99 cents. I am liking it quite a bit for a phone game tho i could use a larger screen. No idea how it would look on a tablet as I don't have one yet.

Anyone else tried Gurk?

No, but I was looking to try out an RPG on my Galaxy S. Will check it out.

So, I guess you are stuck with the default party?

In Gurk 1 yes. In Gurk 2 you get to roll your stats and theres a few different people you can pick from.

Starting to get into it a bit, but a couple things:

1) The world seems extremely empty. I've explored quite a bit and found one dungeon (right outside the starting point) and two villages (neither of which had more than 3 stores). Also, I wandered around quite a bit before I finally ran into some monsters (then I kept getting attacked by them, which was fine).

2) Is there a story to this game? Any dialogue? Killing stuff and leveling is fun for a while, but I'm not going to be long for it if this is all their is.

I'm guessing you just have the free version which is rather limited but I liked the concept.

For a whole 99 cents you get quests and more detail in pretty much everything.

Yeah, just the free version. Author is not being smart though if there are no quests in the free version. He should put a couple in to give you a taste. Heck the only thing I even knew about Gurk II from the game is the small advert at the bottom. No verbage or anything about what you get that is better in it.

"Gurk"? I'll do the Alrik thing, and mention that "Gurke" is german for cucumber and "rumgurken" a slang word for "going slow and getting nowhere". In short, "Gurk" is a particularly unattractive name for a game to someone with a german speaking background :p

"Gurk"? I'll do the Alrik thing, and mention that "Gurke" is german for cucumber and "rumgurken" a slang word for "going slow and getting nowhere". In short, "Gurk" is a particularly unattractive name for a game to someone with a german speaking background :p

Well, so far I have not really gone anywhere, and it does seem pretty slow during the battles....

I'm stuck on a quest at the moment. While the quest system is there its not very informative. I'm not quite sure where to go next. Still, its not bad for 99 cents.

On the free version, it doesn't seem to have an exit key! I keep having to use the task manager to exit. I'll probably buy the paid version this week. I've gotten more than 99 cents of value already from the free version.

Yeah theres no dedicated exit button. You can use the back button on your phone tho which closes the app. If you use the Home button instead it will just keep Gurk in the background still running.

I tried the free version a while ago, but I couldn't really find a point or goal to the game.

I've been playing the free version now for a while (mainly because I got bored with chess). It's fun for short bursts and now that I somehow made it onto a boat to another continent, its at least a little interesting (no quests or dialogue, but a little flavor in the map). I've gotten far more than 99 cents of enjoyment out of it, so I'm going to buy Gurk II if for no other reason than to pay the dev a bit. I think with quests, it could be pretty fun.

Just got my new Asus Transformer. So I shouldn't bother to check this out?

If it was $10 or even $5 I would say no but for 99 cents I say yes.

Last edited:
There was an update to this which fixed a quest bug I had plus other things I'm sure. I'm back to playing it.

I've got over 10 hours in it so far, still having fun. Not sure how much is left but I don't feel to near the end.

Wheres my Gurk III? :p

Funny name.

"Gurke" means "cucumber" in German language. ;)

1st game I have finished in over a year. Whew, I was in a game finishing funk. Now back to my other unfinished games .... I'm not buying Skyrim until I finish Bioshock and New Vegas. I think. Maybe.

Back
Top Bottom